Profile for Lulubelle > Reviews

Content by Lulubelle

Lulubelle

Page: 1 | 2
Felt Sew Good: 30 Simple Projects all Cut and Stitched from Felt (Simple Makes)
Felt Sew Good: 30 Simple Projects all Cut and Stitched from Felt (Simple Makes)
by Christine Leech
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 6 Oct 2013
I really like this book. There are some lovely original ideas but also some new takes on older ideas. The book is split into three sections: Gifts; Decorations and For the Home. Gifts include mainly items suitable for babies/small children, such as an apple shaped rattle, woodland finger puppets, beautiful dolls, an elephant mobile (very pretty) and my personal favourite, the winged slippers. These are baby shoes which the author has made in thick white felt with felt "wings" on the side, embroidered in gold. They are really beautiful and would make a nice gift to give for a new baby, both for wear and for display.
The Decorations section includes items such as a flower wreath, autumn garland, hanging bluebirds and my personal favourite in this section - felt baubles. These are made 3D and give the effect of the vintage paper honeycomb decorations, but in felt. They look impressive enough to be given as a gift but they could be made by beginners or experienced crafters alike.
The For the Home section concentrates on cushions, doorstops, coasters and a tablet case amongst other items. I really like the scallop cushion.
All in all there are lots of things I would like to make from this book and I am pleased I bought it.

Dancin' Thru The Dark - Digitally Restored & Remastered [DVD]
Dancin' Thru The Dark - Digitally Restored & Remastered [DVD]
Dvd ~ Claire Hackett
Offered by A2Z Entertains
Price: 8.81

5.0 out of 5 stars What I've been waiting for!!!!!, 29 April 2013
Wow. I have wanted this film on DVD for years, but it's not been available. I am absolutely delighted that it's available now. This was one of my all-time favourite films as a teenager. The story, script, characters and acting are great. It's love story has not dated even though the fashions have, this film is still as romantic as ever. This DVD version is great. Whoever has remastered it has done an amazing job. The clarity of the vision and sound are fantastic, it could have been made yesterday, it's so crisp. I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this DVD. Thank you whoever managed to get this re-released!!!! It has been such a treat to see this fantastic film again.

Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships
Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships
by Eric Berne
Price: 6.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Odd. Wish I'd read the reviews before buying!, 8 April 2013
It's a great title, and it has a great blurb written about it on the back cover, but that's as far as my praise goes. This book spends a lot of time stating the obvious but very little is usefully applied by the author. It jumps straight into self-coined and lofty "game names" and long-winded acronyms - it conveys the assumption that the games and acronynms are basic and common parlance. It might have been better received in 1962 but even then I bet it was just as irritating to read. There's no real usefulness to be extracted from this book. At best there's a few head-nod moments.

Easy to Make! Curtains & Blinds (C&B Crafts)
Easy to Make! Curtains & Blinds (C&B Crafts)
by Consultant Editor Wendy Baker
Price: 9.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Mar 2013
I bought this book specifically to find out how to make interlined curtains. The diagrams are (in my opinion) at best basic and at worst confusing. There is not enough explanation of each step in advance. The diagram for step 2 shows a rectangle box with a single dividing line down it and a needle and thread placed over the middle of the line. How this is meant to be useful I don't know. Mr Men drawings are practically fine art compared to these.
As for roman blinds, it only shows single layer type blind made using roman blind tape, and doesn't explain lined roman blinds, or how to make your own casings instead of using the tape, or if you wanted blackout lining where that would go,for example. The diagrams for these are even more Mr Men-ish, if that's possible. I gave up after that. Sending it back. Oddly it has very clear, colour photos of equipment such as a pair of scissors, roll of thread, pincushion etc at the back. It would have been better to leave those out and concentrated on decent pictures of the actual steps.
I have given this book two stars instead of one as I haven't looked at the other examples - have wasted time looking at the two I actually wanted to learn about. Giving the book the benefit of the doubt maybe the other examples are better.
In short I feel this book has confused overly simple drawings with simplicity. This is my opinion but given the good ratings it has received from others, perhaps I am the odd one out.

Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
by Liesl Gibson
Price: 14.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good but not excellent for me, 28 Feb 2013
The book is well presented. It has full size patterns attached (with the blobby clear rubber glue - ease the patterns off, don't yank!!). Each item has step by step instructions which are almost a "chatty" style - as if the author was talking you through it. Very helpful. As for the projects, I won't ever make a Bento bag personally, or an explorer vest, but someone else might well enjoy doing that. Some of the items were just flick-pasts for me, eg the bib and the quilt - not what I bought an Oliver + S book hoping to find (I have plenty of baby and quilt books). Ditto the bags. However the winners for me are the tutu, the cosy winter hood (looks really professional), the red riding hood cloak and the puppet theatre. These are what I was hoping for - something a bit different but still appealing and "make-able". The photo of the doll's dress project shows a girl wearing a cute dress, the pattern for which is not featured in this book which I was disappointed about! All in all though, it's a stylish book and I am pleased I bought it, in particular for the clothes and play stuff.

Celebrate
Celebrate
by Pippa Middleton
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Celebrate (Hardcover)
I can't understand why people have been uncomplimentary about this book, epecially those reviewers who zoom in on the Christmas element - I think they are reviewing it based on snippets from the newspapers and magazines rather than the actual book itself!
The book is split into the four seasons of the year, with recipe ideas, craft activities and party planning tips such as relevant party games for adults and children, for each season. For example Spring is split into Valentine's Day, Special Breakfasts, Easter, Afternoon Tea and Flowers. Summer includes Children's parties, Barbeques, Picnics, Campling and Homemade Produce. It is NOT just a book about Christmas as I mistakenly thought! It is fantastic - I am 100% pleased I bought it. Yes, you can find most of these receipes on the internet (as one reviewer commented). Yes, you can find probably some of the other suggestions and ideas on the internet. BUT who has the time to go looking for so much info, seperately!? There are hundreds if not a thousand separate items in this book. I was not even a fan of Pippa's as such. But I am definitely a fan of this book. I think she has done an amazing job here and I know I will refer to this book for years to come. Some of us didn't grow up with a plethora of amazing parties laid on and receipes to be handed down. I want to do something special and different for my young children growing up, to give them the kind of memories I wished I had. This pretty much covers everything I wanted to know.

The Complete Book of Soft Furnishings
The Complete Book of Soft Furnishings
by Rene Poulter

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Jan 2012
This is a must have for anyone who wants to make their own blinds, curtains, cushions etc. It assumes that you can sew to a basic level but apart from that all you need is a good dollop of common sense and an ability to follow the instructions. You can make made-to-measure, quality blinds for just the cost of your materials, this book has paid for me many times over already as made-to-measure is so expensive, especially if you want to insert blackout lining etc. Worth every penny.

Everything Alice: the Wonderland Book of Makes
Everything Alice: the Wonderland Book of Makes
by Hannah Read-Baldrey
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The best craft book I have seen in a LONG TIME, 20 July 2011
Wow. I have a very extensive collection of modern craft books - well over 80 popular titles - and this one is hands down my favourite. Usually out of a craft book there is only 3 or 4 decent, unusual projects that translate well to actual everyday usage and most of those are rehashed, tired old ideas. This book is different. There's just so many projects that look good within the Alice theme but would also translate well to a different theme with a bit of tweaking and imagination. I loved the Invitation cushion which looks like a letter with a cute handcrafted stamp, and the Queen Alice bag which continues the postage stamp theme. The giant rose lights would look fab for a party and are so easy to make, and the Red King slippers are gorgeous for a baby or toddler made in the smallest size. The Wonderland apron is illustrated in three colours, my favourite is the red polka dot with the heart shaped pockets - would make a lovely birthday present along with the red velvet cupcakes (recipes are included throughout the book too!) and one of the soft drinks (again, receipes provided) in a "drink me" bottle. All the ideas are so effective but don't require loads of fancy materials, a lot of the time it's basic stuff most crafters will already have. Things like making your own cookie cutters out of foil for example. It's the book I have been waiting for, for a long time. Magical, ethereal, charming, eclectic - love it.

Crafty Kids: Fun Projects for You and Your Toddler
Crafty Kids: Fun Projects for You and Your Toddler
by Rosie Hankin

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple colourful ideas for pre-school children, 10 Aug 2010
This is exactly what I was hoping for. It's mainly small simple projects using coloured card & paint, and basic supplies such as toilet rolls, cotton wool balls, paper plates and tin foil. Most projects are of some sort of animal or basic shape eg penguin, pig, rocket, flower, bus, spaceship, jellyfish etc and most are easy to achieve without much preparation.
Some use 3D effects eg the jellyfish has long flowing tenticles, the rainbow fish has a long tissue-paper tail etc. The train is painted cardboard packets and toilet rolls attached by string for and there is a similarly made boat. It's nothing fancy but it's cute, effective and achieveable for a small child to do most of the steps by themselves under guidance, without lots of having to get an adult to do lots of "tricky bits".
There's nothing you couldn't have thought up yourself BUT, if you have small children you will know that finding the time to think up things yourself doesn't really happen! Sometimes you just want to flick open a craft book and have a simple, easy to achieve project to keep little ones busy for an hour or so without too much mess and using basic supplies. This is exactly what this book does. For each project there's a tip for making the project slightly more challenging for older kids, usually putting the animal/item in context by adding background such as grass, clouds, traffic lights etc.

Just for the Frill of It: 25 Flirty, Fabulous Styles to Make from Clothes You Already Own
by Sonya Nimri

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Aug 2010
Not quite what I was expecting. The clothes aren't wearable to me, and although the model in the picture on the front doesn't look teenage, that's really who this book should be aimed at. The items are extremely unsophisticated and there's maybe only one idea I could adapt to real life clothes. The rest are just not for me.

Page: 1 | 2