Profile for Barbara Harvey > Reviews

Accordion Crimes
Accordion Crimes
by Annie Proulx

3.0 out of 5 stars For lovers of short stories, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Accordion Crimes (Paperback)
The idea of tracing the fate of an accordion seemed like a good idea, especially appealing to me, as I have loved all of Annie Proulx's work. This however,was disappointing. I felt it meandered, and because the book was basically a series of short stories, the characters were not drawn in as much detail as I would have liked. Frankly, towards the end I was getting bored!

Winter's Bone
Winter's Bone

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into a different world, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Winter's Bone (Kindle Edition)
The descriptions of the weather, the hardships and the characters are exceptional-I often felt really cold as I read it, so it's probably best to snuggle down under the duvet while you read it! Daniel Woodrell has some wonderfully evocative turns of phrase which are so original, I had to pause and re-read them in admiration.

Elizabeth Street
Elizabeth Street

3.0 out of 5 stars A walk through social history of immigration in the USA, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Elizabeth Street (Kindle Edition)
The story started well, with life in Sicily, and the early struggles of immigrants in New York was revealing, but I got bored with it-too many characters were thinly sketched for me to feel sympathy.

The Lie
The Lie

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart wrenching, 25 April 2014
This review is from: The Lie (Kindle Edition)
Helen Dunmore always gets into the soul of her characters, and this gives an insight to one former soldier back from WW1.
Very cleverly, she interlaces the present with the past, and the reader will start to debate which lie embodies the title.

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking-a real page turner!, 3 April 2014
I could not put this book down! I was hooked from the start, and felt enormous sympathy for the main characters. The way the plot was gradually revealed was extremely clever, and his deep background knowledge of the subject was both obvious and key to the novel's success.