Profile for Neil Braeman > Reviews

Neil Braeman "norm" (UK)

Bargrooves Ibiza 2014
Bargrooves Ibiza 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunner., 29 Nov. 2014
I have been a fan of the Bargrooves series from the start, but my ears are almost crying at the subliminal gorgeousness of this one. Perfect.

Samsung RL56GWGBP Freestanding Fridge Freezer frost free in black
Samsung RL56GWGBP Freestanding Fridge Freezer frost free in black
Offered by FD SUPPLIES

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what you would expect it to do., 6 May 2014
Unlike me, this refrigerator is large and good looking. It does exactly what you would expect it to do and does it very quietly. I would have given it five stars, except that I had to change the door around so that it opened the other way. This was quite complex and took a couple of hours, which was OK, but when it was built the handles were so over tightened that they distorted the metal on the door. Now that I have swapped them to the other side it is obvious where they used to be. Of course 90% of people probably won't encounter this! or dare. So buy with confidence!

debt
debt

5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS!, 25 Oct. 2012
This review is from: debt (Kindle Edition)
I know it was under a quid but within a few seconds of opening it I thought I had made a big mistake. There was something wrong with the font size so I had to zoom right in; there appeared to be hundreds of chapters making the index huge and when you did get to it, the first section was written in a completely unreadable style: perhaps a sign of a man trying to be too clever. However, once you get past the garbage this is a gripping book. It pulls you right in with a twist and turn on every step of the way. I was looking forward to coming home each day and picking it up. I almost had to make notes of who was in possession of what and who did what to who. Excellent. If he writes another one I'll be first in the queue, and I won't be asking for my 77p back.

Caught in the Crossfire: Scotland’s Deadliest Drugs War
Caught in the Crossfire: Scotland’s Deadliest Drugs War

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down., 25 Oct. 2012
A very interesting documentation of Glasgow's seedy underworld from the eighties onwards. You will be amazed at how many got away with so much for so long (to paraphrase Winston Churchill). It has obviously been meticulously researched and states the facts quite plainly, but there is not one moment of boredom.

Kärcher WV50 Window Vac - Window Cleaning Vacuum
Kärcher WV50 Window Vac - Window Cleaning Vacuum

5.0 out of 5 stars A timely solution to an old problem, 3 April 2012
To save you reading to the end, let me summarise this review in two words: GET ONE!

Karcher are well known for one of the most time-wasting products ever invented by humanity. Their range of pressure washers will get your patio so clean that you can lick a gallon of split milk off it and suffer no ill effects. Does your outside space need to be as clean as a cat's rear end? No it does not, but once you start you will encounter two issues: Firstly, you will have to clean your entire multi-hectare estate since the newly clean bits will make the not yet cleaned bits look like downtown Shanghai before the redevelopment work started. Secondly, the job is so satisfying that once you start you cannot stop. Hours will fly by. You will look for things to clean that do not need cleaning and have never been cleaned before. You will clean things that ARE clean. The wife will report you missing (or at least she would, were it not for the fact that the racket the pressure washer makes is a sure giveaway of your presence behind the shed).

And so Karcher turn their attention to your filthy, decrepit windows. You should probably be ashamed of yourself. You disgust me. Ask yourself a question though: Does some light come through? If the answer is yes, then your windows do not need cleaning but, let me tell you, you WILL NOT be able to resist the temptation. In ancient times, our elders would have wiped the window with a damp cloth, possibly dipped in a solution of washing up liquid, but whatever they did to remove the moisture their windows would have ended up coated with a slimy mess. This, I am convinced, is the reason churches went for stained glass since, in the absence of the Karcher, they could never achieve the smudge free cleanliness they so desperately desired. Even the Romans tried various innovative methods to enhance the finish, such as using vinegar in solution or rubbing the window with a scrunched up Daily Telegraph.

Step forward to 2012. Wipe the windows...suck the excess off with the Karcher. I thought it would work well but I couldn't imagine how well. The finish is excellent. So easy. So satisfying. The one downside is the battery. A 20 minute usage time will let you clean your own windows and then you will be banging on next door, begging to clean their's too. But you'll have to wait two hours.Kärcher WV 50 Window Cleaning Vacuum

The Damned United [DVD] [2009]
The Damned United [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Michael Sheen
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure now about my hatred for football, 2 Dec. 2009
I absolutely loathe football yet in the early to mid seventies, before I knew any better, I was a huge fan. This film captures brilliantly my recollections of the period; of seventies football, always played in bad weather, always that violent undertone. Sheen is just perfect. I was completely captivated by Clough's flawed, arrogance but loved him in spite of it. "Don Revie" (Colm Meanie) looks so much like Don Revie I was shocked at first. How did they do that? Isn't Don Revie dead? Even if not, he must be very old. A great story even for the non football fan. Clough rises, falls and rises again (although you only read of the last rise as the credits roll) as his arrogance and self confidence alternately work in his favour and then work against him. The scenery is like being in a time machine. You can laugh at the smoking habits of the seventies professional footballer and learn to hate Billy Bremner all over again . This is my early seventies relived in an hour and a half of bliss. Thoroughly recommended.

Paul Oakenfold: The Authorised Biography
Paul Oakenfold: The Authorised Biography
by Richard Norris

4.0 out of 5 stars A timely summary of the superclub era., 25 Sept. 2007
If you enjoyed books such a "Last Night a DJ Saved my Life" then you will enjoy this, not so much for its details on Paul Oakenfold but as a natural follow-on to the stories already told. In truth, the book doesn't give a very detailed insight into Paul Oakenfold's character or his personal life; it's more like a list of the things he has done with a few comments from him, but that doesn't make it any less valuable. In fact, if you are starting out as a DJ or promoter there's a lot to be learned in here about Oakie's work ethic and careful career planning. It seems very little happened by chance.

The writing style was alarming at first with the odd bit of wideboy speak to disrupt the flow. On the very first page is the gem "Backstage it's set up nice like you'd expect at this level" and I thought I was going to struggle my way through the book, but it settles down very quickly into a fast paced, interesting and pleasurable read. As an added bonus there's a CD tucked in the back (well there was on my hardback version).

All in all, I reckon a 7.5 out of 10. If you're a child of the superclub era then you'll love it.

Gizmondo In Car Cradle
Gizmondo In Car Cradle

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely engineered; powerful suction !, 18 Nov. 2005
I was very pleased with my Gizmondo ( I have the sat nav program ) and was waiting for a month or so for the car cradle to come out. Made of plastic with fully adjustable angle settings, it comes with a self adhesive cup which you can throw away if you want to use the suction device. The suction device is VERY effective on the windscreen. Mount kit includes a GPS antenna on a long cable, so if you suffer from having a signal reducing, coated windscreen you can mount the antenna somewhere else. The power passes from a cigarette lighter adapter, through the cradle and via a short lead to the Gizmondo itself. If you use the Gizmondo in the car, you need this; Makes life so much easier.