Profile for JA > Reviews

Content by JA

JA

Apple Sync and Charge 1m USB Data Lightning Cable for iPhone 5/5S/6/6 Plus and iPad Air/Mini - Non-Retail Packaging

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money and time, 4 April 2016
Mmmm. I ignored the poor reviews and went ahead. This worked once, and now just says it's incompatable with Apple products and doesn't work. Total waste of money and time. Don't buy.

Faithfully Fit: A 40-Day Devotional Plan to End the Yo-Yo Lifestyle of Chronic Dieting

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 23 Mar. 2015
Not finished this yet but thinking it's really good so far. I haven't had time to do many of the activities for each day, but picture myself working through this over and over again. There's such good principles here.

A Book of Sparks: Second Edition: A Study in Christian MindFullness
A Book of Sparks: Second Edition: A Study in Christian MindFullness

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great points are made, 23 Mar. 2015
Bit of a mixed bag here. Some great points are made, and other days it just goes off on a complete tangent as far as I was concerned. Probably was still worthwhile for the better points but not really what I was hoping for if I'm honest.

Trapped
Trapped
by Fran Macilvey

5.0 out of 5 stars a thought provoking read, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Trapped (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book greatly. The writing flows very naturally, and it's a genuinely interesting and thought provoking read, as well as being just a good story. I was made to wonder about how I would react to having a disability (with more bitterness than grace and acceptance I fear), and how much I value my freedom. Macilvey says that we are all disabled in some way, which I hadn't considered before, but this makes sense. The insights given come from one who has perhaps reflected on life more than most, through the time created from enforced inactivity. It's absolutely not doom and gloom though, it's a journey towards a new lightness of being which Macilvey is heading towards. This, we can all learn greatly from.

The Fast Metabolism Diet: Lose Up to 20 Pounds in 28 Days: Eat More Food & Lose More Weight
by Haylie Pomroy

4.0 out of 5 stars It works for me!, 14 May 2013
I thought I'd give this a go having seen an article about it in the Times. All I can say is that I'm actually enjoying it,not any hungrier than I ever was before and am losing weight, albeit not at the rate suggested by the book.

I'd say I'm probably a stone over weight and am losing steadily at 2lbs a week on this (this is my 4rth week) I am probably losing slower than suggested by the book as I have broken all the rules so far - yes I've had a couple of glasses of wine, I've had a couple of bits of chocolate and I refuse to eat just egg whites - it's always a whole egg for me. I've also continued doing my normal amount of exercise at the gym and haven't done my exercise in the 3 phases recommended. Also I did have a reasonably healthy diet before I started and guess I'm not hugely overweight.

I am happier with the slower weight loss as I've found a way of doing the diet which is tolerable (and in fact enjoyable for me) I have to say I feel "well nourished" on the diet and have been buying some veggies I just haven't bothered with for a while e.g. spinach and cauliflower.

At the end of the 4 weeks I will continue with the diet however will reintroduce wholewheat and dairy to the appropriate phases. Will see what happens when I do that.

Probably for some people just cutting back a bit would achieve the same weight loss as I've had. For me though just cutting back doesn't work, I actually need rules to follow, and that's where this has been great. It works so well for me as because of the 3 phases I never get bored with what I'm eating.

To critics who suggest this is expensive do remember you wont be having take-aways, junk food, alcohol on this diet so when you balance it out it probably isn't any more expensive.

I gave the book 4 stars instead of 5 as I was hoping for a nice glossy book with pictures of recipes. There are however loads of recipes suitable for each phase on the internet if you just google.

Mini Wright Digital Peak Flow Meter
Mini Wright Digital Peak Flow Meter

5.0 out of 5 stars JA, 23 May 2012
We've found this to be really useful. Easy to use and seems to give pretty consistent results.Don't know how long it's meant to last for but my son's used it twice a day for about a year now and still going strong. Recommended.

Compeed Blister 5 Plaster - Medium, White
Compeed Blister 5 Plaster - Medium, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Compeed blister plaster, 23 May 2012
These are definitely premium plasters. They stay on even in the shower and give immediate relief. Expensive but actually well worth it. We will certainly buy again. Great for out in the hills.