Profile for J. Kay > Reviews

Content by J. Kay

J. Kay "JK" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
UKOUTLET Brand New Relacement Laptop Battery for Inspiron 13R 14R 15R 17R N3010 N4010 N5010 N4110 N5110 N7010 N7110 M501 M501R M5010 M5030 N5030 DELL VOSTRO 3450 3550 04YRJH 383CW 07XFJJ 7XFJJ 11.1V / 5200MAH 6 CELL
Offered by ukoutlet

5.0 out of 5 stars A decent battery, 12 Feb 2014
For some strange reason, I don't get a warning to plug into the mains when running low. This has caught me out a few times and the laptop has just switched off. Other than that, a good battery which costs a lot less than an original.

Buy Whole Foods Coconut Desiccated 3 Kg
Buy Whole Foods Coconut Desiccated 3 Kg

1.0 out of 5 stars Packed in premises that also handles nuts, seeds and cereals, 12 Feb 2014
After delivery, I was alarmed to read in extremely small print that it was packed in premises that also handles nuts, seeds and cereals. This was not listed on the Amazon page or I wouldn't have ordered it. Being a coeliac I can't take this chance and never use anything which says this. Have advised Amazon but still don't see it in the description.

Say Goodbye to Acne Tonight - How I Cured Myself From Acne And You Will Too
Say Goodbye to Acne Tonight - How I Cured Myself From Acne And You Will Too

1.0 out of 5 stars Offered lots, delivered very little, sadly, 7 Oct 2013
It recommends using products in the home, which is a great idea, but one suggestion is to use your toothpaste provided it contains Triclosan. I personally avoid any product containing Triclosan as it is a pesticide which blocks signals from the brain to muscles, cuts heart function by 25% and is used in toothpaste to prevent spoilage. Animal studies have shown that triclosan alters hormone regulation so it's undergoing further investigation.

It promised lots and delivered very little. I happen to know of at least two other, much more effective natural home remedies for acne. (I didn't get the book for me but to pass on to someone else, which I now won't be doing.)

I was disappointed and am sorry that I couldn't say anything more positive.

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Soda 450 g (Pack of 4)
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Soda 450 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value pack, recommended., 7 Oct 2013
This is a great value pack, much better value than the individual packs. I highly recommend it. Have to write more words but what more can you say?

The Curious Case Of The Shrinking Woman
The Curious Case Of The Shrinking Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and honest read, 29 Jun 2013
I'm already living a low carb life but am always interested in how others approach it. This lovely lady got the usual (old fashioned and WRONG) advice to exercise more and eat less until she spoke with someone enlightened.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable read, quite funny in places and also very honest. I'd highly recommend it.

Low Carb Eating: How a Wheat Free Menu, or Mediterranean Diet Can Help with Weight Loss

1.0 out of 5 stars The wheat free options are VERY bad options, 25 April 2013
I've only just read the intro to this book suggesting people who opt for a wheat free diet will be free from their bloating, and gas symptoms, but they won't be if they continue to eat the alternatives suggested i.e. corn, cornmeal, corn starch, barley flour, rye, soy flour, oats, oatcakes. She says the information is supported by medical evidence. I don't think so !

Oh I've spotted a few typos too and and what the heck are "black oils" in the recipe for Rosemary Spiced Wheat Free Flat Bread Recipe?

"12 black oils cured in oil, pitted and chopped roughly"

Also what does this mean?

"30 large shrimp that have been peeled, deveined and cooked"

She also says that the Atkins diet is harmful ! I don't think so !!! Dr Atkins helped many thousands of patients over very many years.

Canola oil is also suggested, but this is definitely not a healthy oil.

Also she says: "rather than fried in artery-clogging grease." If this were a Low Carb book in the true sense of the word then she'd know that we need to eat fat and fatty meats to satisfy us which will in turn promote weight loss when keeping carbs low.

She also talks about limiting salt intake. Refined table salt yes, but we need all the minerals found in sea salt for our bones, not just calcium and magnesium. She also talks about fat being the reason for Westerners having a high rate of heart disease, again NOT TRUE. She refers to studies from 2008, 2009 and 2010, but needs to get up to date with the facts.

So in short, I wouldn't recommend this book.

Paleo Cookbook : A Quick Guide With Deliciously Easy Recipes For Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner

5.0 out of 5 stars The best paleo book I've read :), 7 April 2013
This is the best paleo book I've read yet. I've only worked my way through the intro and the breakfasts so far and have lots of breakfast recipes I can use.

Some books I've bought have such ridiculous ingredients but this one is really highly recommended. It starts with info about what the paleo diet is and what you can and can't eat.

Suma Ground Almonds 1 kg
Suma Ground Almonds 1 kg
Offered by Ainley Organics

1.0 out of 5 stars Packed in envirornment which handles nuts, gluten, soya, milk, peanuts etc, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Suma Ground Almonds 1 kg (Grocery)
I was very disappointed when I received this item as in the smallest of print (for which I needed spectacles to read), it says

"PACKED IN AN ENVIRONMENT WHICH ALSO HANDLES NUTS, PEANUTS, SESAME SEEDS, GLUTEN, SOYA, MILK AND SULPHURED FRUITS."

Which means it is absolutely of no use to me !

Why, wasn't this stated on the description?
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 4:19 PM BST

Panasonic DMR-HW220EBK 1TB HDD Recorder with Twin Freeview +HD Tuners (Old model) (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps switching off !, 8 Dec 2012
Firstly I couldn't receive all the new freeview channels through this box yet my old freeview box and all my freeview tv's had been able to receive them. I rang a local store and they suggested I do an update, which I did but this didn't make any difference.

It also kept switching off almost immediately after I switched it on, but then this stopped. I should have sent it back then but thinking it was just a glitch, I forked out nearly £100 for a new wide-band aerial to receive the channels including the HD channels. That was a few days ago but today it's decided to just switch off in the middle of watching tv through it and again later in the day when replaying a recorded programme. I even unplugged it from the wall to reset it but it still wouldn't start up. I've been more than patient with this box so after reading other negative reviews about firmware problems, I'm sending it back.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2013 6:47 PM GMT

Small Device Tool Kit - Screw Driver, Faceplate Pry Bars, Suction Cup & MORE!
Small Device Tool Kit - Screw Driver, Faceplate Pry Bars, Suction Cup & MORE!
Offered by TOPCITY

5.0 out of 5 stars Coming from abroad not the UK, 23 Oct 2012
Well after waiting 6 days for this item, I now realise that it is being shipped from Hong Kong and will take ages. There was nowhere in the description that said it would come from abroad. I wanted this thing quickly to fix the phone.

Page: 1 | 2