Profile for Warwick Pearmund > Reviews

Warwick Pearmund (Tokyo)

Part an Irishman: Part One of The Regiment Trilogy
Part an Irishman: Part One of The Regiment Trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 April 2016
Very much enjoying so far.

The Woods
The Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 21 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Woods (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, not having read any of his other works. Coben writes very well, with believable characterisations and down to earth prose. The story itself presents plenty is suspense and surprises and, genuinely, kept me wanting to read more

As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1)
As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars great debut, 12 Sept. 2014
Easy to read and compelling characters. I look forward to the next one. I hope the next one is a bit longer though

The Expats
The Expats

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
Sometimes you pick random books from the free list not knowing what you will get, often indifferent but sometimes pleasantly surprised. Well this one was neither of those, it was unexpectedly brilliant, one of the best reads, certainly of the genre, that I have had for a very very long time. Highly recommended

Back to Earth
Back to Earth
Offered by Fulfillment Next Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Best previously unheard CD I have bought in a long long time, 5 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Back to Earth (Audio CD)
I heard one track on the radio in the UK and despite not even being able to remember the name of the song I remembered the band and I am so glad that I did. Its always a risk buying an album based on hearing only one song but almost every track on Back To Earth more than lives up to expectation. Difficult to know where to place them but if you like New Radicals or Hard Fi then you wont't go wrong here. Battle knock Hard Fi into a cocked hat, they have a distinctly softer sound and I am constantly surprised by how accomplished this sounds for what is not even a first album proper but an EP. There are shades of Mansun in some of the guitar play, especially on 'I never stopped' and the bassist has certainly listened to The Cure in his time, but that is no bad thing and the overall sound is all their own.
7 tracks and 6 of them are corkers. I agree with the reviewer below who says that 'Isabelle' is the weakest offering but hey, 6 out of 7 isn't at all bad.
Take a risk, buy the EP, I did and I haven't regretted it for a single moment.

Fantanicity
Fantanicity
Offered by playanywhere

5.0 out of 5 stars A little known masterpiece, 14 July 2004
This review is from: Fantanicity (Audio CD)
Nobody else I know owns this album or has indeed heard of the artist. I came across her by chance when I saw the video to 'Crazy' on MTV and I bought the album on the back of that one song.
Several years later the album sounds as fresh as ever and is still a regular on my playlist. She has a unique voice that can vary seemingly without effort between powerful, haunting, mellow or laden with emotion. Furthermore the tunes are almost without exception beautiful and catchy without becoming repetitive or boring, no matter how often I play them.
However I have been able to find out almost nothing about the artist herself and whether she released any further tracks or albums. Quite why Nut never quite made it big I will never know, I can only assume that it was either unfortunate timing or a lack of support from her record company as, based upon this album, she has the talent and the material to go all the way.
The music itself varies between reasonably light almost, but not quite, folksy/jazzy songs to more powerful poppy songs along the lines of Suzanne Vega or even a tamed down Chrissy Hind.
Take a chance and buy this album, I guarantee that you will not be disappointed
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2011 10:31 PM GMT