Profile for Lara > Reviews

Pretty Honest: The Straight-Talking Beauty Companion
Pretty Honest: The Straight-Talking Beauty Companion
by Sali Hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars Promises alot delivers nothing!, 23 Nov. 2014
I'm amazed that this book has had so many 5star reviews! It is at best a light and easy magazine type read and at worst a condescending book for anyone who has an interest in make up.
If you are over 20, already wear make up and have read a few magazines in your life then you will learn nothing new here.
For example her chapter on Mature Beauty says: Don't get too thin - Exercise - Remove facial hair - Moisturise - Take care of your teeth - Look after your feet!
I was looking for a book that would give me products that worked. Make up looks that flattered. Tips on application techniques. Tried and tested styles and brands that could be relied on.
This book delivers zero on all those fronts.

Scribble Down Activity Transfers Pack - School of Magic
Scribble Down Activity Transfers Pack - School of Magic
Offered by Engine Shed Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish there were more of these...., 19 Nov. 2013
I bought these after thinking about the things I enjoyed doing on a rainy day as a child. My boys loved doing these as an activity on holiday, and they want more!
I think they are a bit pricey for what you get, but compared to the price of a comic (which the kids never read and we throw away the plastic tat on the front!) then they do represent better value for money.
The art work on them is brilliant, all the characters and items fit nicely on the page and the finished picture once the transfers are all on looks good. The boys felt they had done a nice piece of 'art'.
If they were A4 size I would buy more.

Brit Guide Disneyland Resort Paris 2010-2011 (Brit Guides)
Brit Guide Disneyland Resort Paris 2010-2011 (Brit Guides)
by Simon Veness

1.0 out of 5 stars Somebody should do this better!, 9 May 2013
Well for a book that's 240 pages long, this book spends just 79 of those talking about the 2 parks. And alot of that is just repeating itself over and over, they must mention the fact that it wil be busy in the school holidays and halloween at least 10 times!
It has really handy tips like 'take breaks for drinks and visit indoor attractions that have air-conditioning' or 'if you have children try to sit in central section, no more than 10 rows back', amazing stuff that I would never have figured out by myself!
The rating system they use for the rides of A for scenic ride and T for thrills rides is confusing as they seem to inter change them, so something like Peter Pan's flight is rated AAAA but also TTTTT for under 8's.
They layout of the book is just not user friendly. It doesn't flow in any useful manner, you can be reading about rides one moment and then it jumps to various dining options and parades. And then randomly in the middle of it all will be half page insert about what rides appeal to what age banding with no guide as to which land or park each of the rides are - just a list.
All in all, do not waste your money on this book their are websites that do this SO much better and for free.

Plants vs Zombies - Game of the Year (PC CD)
Plants vs Zombies - Game of the Year (PC CD)
Offered by scaddingk

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of great fun., 22 Mar. 2013
I bought this for my husband for a bit of a joke ( as he is a Living Dead fan ) however myself and the children have become very much engrossed in this game. I have wasted hours immersed in the tactical plant battle against the zombies. Each level has it's own challenges and you need to plan each new wave with your best defensive moves. It is great - buy it you won't be sorry you did.

Toy Story 3: The Video Game (Nintendo DS)
Toy Story 3: The Video Game (Nintendo DS)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too easy, 22 Mar. 2013
I got this for my son who is 6 when he first got his DS. But he finished the game in about 3 days. It is a very easy game maybe better for younger children.

iF: A Treasury of Poems for Almost Every Possibility
iF: A Treasury of Poems for Almost Every Possibility
by Allie Esiri

5.0 out of 5 stars I have really enjoyed this book., 22 Mar. 2013
I have loved dipping in and out of this at various points in the last few months. My children have enjoyed listening to the poems, and it has been great to share them together old and new. Homework! Oh Homework! has become a firm favorite. It is a great addition to any family bookshelf.

The Ha Ha Bonk Book (Young Puffin Books)
The Ha Ha Bonk Book (Young Puffin Books)
by Janet Ahlberg

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it but..., 22 Mar. 2013
...not sure the children actually 'get' the jokes. Alot of it is on word play so they have to have a good understanding of the spelling of words. My boys are 6 and 8.

Paper Mate Flexgrip Capped Ball Pen Fine Tip - Black (Pack of 12)
Paper Mate Flexgrip Capped Ball Pen Fine Tip - Black (Pack of 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a left hander, 18 Mar. 2013
Not that a pen is any more or less for either right or left hands........but the fine point on these nibs I find really helps me not to smudge my own writing.

Traction Man Is Here
Traction Man Is Here
by Mini Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book.........., 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Traction Man Is Here (Paperback)
We have a few Mini Grey books, and the thing I like about them is making up the extra narrative for the story, some people may find this odd in a story book, but to me the point is to spark imagination - each time the story can be different from the last time you read it. The children enjoy 'reading' them themselves, because there is no right or wrong, there is a basic framework but as much or as little can be added and that's down to you. I love sharing them with my boys and this has become another firm favorite.

Super Scribblenauts (Nintendo DS)
Super Scribblenauts (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars A challenging game, 17 Mar. 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
My 8 year old son wanted this game after playing the original at his friends house. He seemed to enjoy the game at first, and I thought it was good as it was a problem solving game which means you have to spell to progress. However he is now very frustrated with it as he can't progress, which is why I guess its a 12age group because its hard.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4