Profile for G. J. Conway > Reviews

Content by G. J. Conway

G. J. Conway "gazconway1" (Devon)

Page: 1 | 2
Love (Omnibus Edition)
Love (Omnibus Edition)
Price: 16.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Love (Omnibus Edition) (Audio CD)
I had the cassette of this album more or less when it was first released, that tape has long since worn out because, above all, this is an awesome album...a classic!
I have just been given this omnibus edition for my birthday (thanks wifey!)and it is amazing!
The re-mastered sound is great, really rich and full of sounds that I don't think I noticed on the cassette (but that was a long time ago!).
All 4 discs are a joy to open and listen to, the packaging is lovely and full of information and the book is a great read.
Top marks for re-mastering
Top marks for packaging
Top marks for musical content
Top marks for price
And top marks for treating the fans with some respect by doing such a good job on all of the above.
I would love to see the same done for the other Cult albums in particular Dreamtime and Sonic Temple...oh go on then, Electric as well!

Late Night Tales: The Cinematic Orchestra
Late Night Tales: The Cinematic Orchestra
Price: 7.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall great with room for improvement., 17 Aug 2010
I am enjoying this compilation/mix, I love the Cinematic Orchestra and so it's nice to hear some of their influences etc alongside their work...however, I am left a bit disappointed...The mix itself works very well but it would have been nice to have more of DJ Food ' Living Beats' which, at 16 secs, is little more than a link. Same goes for tCO own 'Restaurant' track, but my biggest disappointment is 'South American Getaway', which works well as it is but I was expecting it to get to the 'up beat' section of the song (not unreasonable as that is the section in the clip on this very page!), had they managed that it would have been genius in my opinion.

Bang Goes The Knighthood
Bang Goes The Knighthood

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Banana!, 9 Jun 2010
This is a wonderful album, full of the sort of jolly yet sad, catchy, kitsch drenched pop songs that you would expect from Neil Hannon.
Really lovely from start to finish and the bonus live disc works so well too!
A fine addition to the The Divine Comedy collection.
Well done Mr Hannon!

Crooked Timber
Crooked Timber
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 7.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in a long time!, 7 Oct 2009
This review is from: Crooked Timber (Audio CD)
This, for me, is the best Therapy? release since Troublegum (and the more I listen the more I think it is just edging above that!). It seems like a real 'back to basics,' approach was taken with this album, even the cover is straight forward, no nonsense!. Andy Cairns voice is the most enjoyable it has been in years and the songs are well crafted, abrasive at times and catchy, Enjoy The Struggle and Clowns Galore are personal favourites but i can listen to this album again and again without losing interest!

Saturday Night Wrist
Saturday Night Wrist
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.87

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful noise!!!, 5 Jan 2007
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)
I got this for Christmas (my wife is ace!) and I have listened to bits of it or the whole thing everyday since!!!

This album is (in my opinion) leaps and bounds ahead of any of their other albums, that's not to say I don't like the other albums cos I do, I really do, but Saturday night wrist is so much more mature and exciting!!!

It's like they have taken the best ideas from the B-sides record (the acousticy bits mostly), listened to some Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Mew and then written an album.

My only criticism is the use of The System of a Down bloke on 'Mein', in my opinion his vocal is nowhere near as good as Chino's and maybe someone like Mike Patton would have been better...But hey, what do I know!!!

This is the first CD in a long time to make my spine tingle, nuff said!

A Current Archetypal
A Current Archetypal
Price: 3.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Post Hardcore my arse!, 15 Nov 2006
This review is from: A Current Archetypal (Audio CD)
This is not 'post hardcore,'!!! it's better than that, there are elements which suggest that the band have been listening to what are classed as post hardcore bands, but this album shows that this band can be more than a one trick pony! Some of the tracks are immediate but others take a couple of listens to get into (for me 18-30 overture), which to me shows a good range in songwriting talent.

This is only their first release (a good start!), but given the chance these guys could do something really special (In my opinion!)

Commit This to Memory
Commit This to Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything is alright!!!, 2 Oct 2006
This review is from: Commit This to Memory (Audio CD)
'Commit this to memory,' is another great album by Motion City Soundtrack. Instantly catchy guitars/keyboards/melodies/choruses etc. Definately one to buy if you are fan of bands like Jimmy Eat World, Death Cab for cutie etc.

The DVD is pretty cool too. The documentary gives a fairly detailed insight into the personalities and life of the band. The Live show is good too, good picture, great sound. The videos are all fun to watch and the deleted scenes are also fun with a very honest interview from Justin Pierre which is quite eye opening...(Incase you are wondering the DVD is region free.)

All in all an essential Motion City Soundtrack purchase!

Leviathan
Leviathan
Price: 8.43

4.0 out of 5 stars What a refreshing change!, 2 Oct 2006
This review is from: Leviathan (Audio CD)
I was so sick and tired of listening at work to the tripe that Radio 1 churn out and sick of opening Kerrang only to see bands like Lost Prophets, Trivium and Bullet for my Valentine poncing around in muscle vests Looking like they've just stepped out of a salon having had their hair straightened and their lippy done!!!

Then one day I stumbled upon this...one of the best, most brutal metal albums I have heard in a long time (I use the term Metal very loosely). A band who are more concerned with making a good album than what they look like. There are, as has been said in other reviews, elements of Rush and Metallica but there are also elements of Helmet and Clutch too.

The guy who thinks that the drummer in Mastodon is the best he's ever heard needs to hear Charlie Benante from Anthrax, Neil Peart from Rush and Jimmy Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins to put him in perspective.

Overall A great album that I would highly recommend if you want some thing heavy to listen to!!!

The Warning
The Warning

4.0 out of 5 stars What a pleasant surprise!, 1 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Warning (Audio CD)
Like my title says, this was a pleasant surprise.

I bought this on the strength of hearing Over and Over on the radio and seeing the video to Boy from school (it's an Art Attack!!!). It was a risk but luckily it payed off (I've been burnt too many times recently by albums that have 1 good single on and the rest is RUBBISH!!!).

I'm pretty sure that if you like Beta Band or Postal Service then you will probably like this (If you like this you will prob like Beta Band and Postal Service, check them out!).

The reason I give this album 4 stars is that the quality of the songs seems to tail off at the end, but they could be growers (i've only had it a week)?

Super D
Super D

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Folds 5 Stars!, 27 Oct 2005
This review is from: Super D (Audio CD)
This EP is great!
It is one of 3 Eps (the others are Speed Graphic and Sunny 16) which consist of 5 tracks each and all three Eps are crackers!!!
The Darkness cover is very funny and a perfect choice for Ben Folds to cover.
Kalamazoo is the next best track on the Ep in my opinion and the rest all sit very nicely along side them.
(The other Eps contain a cover of In Between Days by The Cure and Songs of Love [Father Ted theme] by Divine Comedy as well as 8 other fantastic Ben Folds songs.
These eps are the perfect accompaniment to the Songs For Silverman album...get them if you can!

Page: 1 | 2