Profile for JohnBeatle > Reviews

Content by JohnBeatle

JohnBeatle

Seagate STBV2000200 Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 desktop 3.5 inch external hard drive - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Product worked but failed within 4 months usage, 6 Nov 2013
I purchased this product in July 2013, delivery was prompt and the drive worked really well for the best part of 4 months. I primarily used this product as a add storage drive for my DD-WRT router. Last week, I tried to access a file over my network and got no response. I checked the drive - dead no LED... powered the drive down/up still dead.. Being an electronics design engineer, I got my fluke volt meter out and measured the voltage from the AC to 12V DC adapter. This measured OK at 12Volts... so definitely, something within the hardware was dead and not the AC mains adapter...

Although the product was technically still under warranty, I could have just sent it back for a replacement. I guess because this drive held all my personal photos and files, I didn't want the drive to leave my house! I felt competent enough to go fault find the PCB board myself.

Found the fault in no time - There is a component on the SATA to USB board (ASM 1053) that converts the 12V DC to 5VDC.
(Techie term for this is a DCtoDC convertor or switcher). This IC or a component around it had failed as there was no 5Volts present on the board.

Dropped Seagate an email telling them that their board had failed. They replied to basically say I had voided my warranty as I attempted to repair it myself . OK fair enough I did... and I deserve to be punished! .but I also asked them whether they could just sell me a replacement board..they said no...

For a company that big, I would have thought their after sales would be a bit more helpful - Note - I even offered to PAY for a replacement board!! I am sure I am not the first customer to which this has happened.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I purchased a Inateck USB3.0 docking station from Amazon and was able to recover all my data from the drive no problem.

To conclude, the STBV2000200 2TB works, but if you were to suffer a hardware failure your options are to return the drive if still under warranty or do what I did and buy a third party docking station.

I am certainly put off purchasing a Seagate product again...Customer service not good in this instance.

Hope my review was helpful
Comment Comments (23) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2014 11:11 AM GMT

Mahalo Concert Ukulele and Case
Mahalo Concert Ukulele and Case
Offered by Normans Musical Instruments

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Ukulele!!, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mahalo Concert Ukulele and Case
I've owned my now for almost a year and I play semi pro. What is really amazing about this little uke is that it really keeps in tune!! hardly need to mess with the tuning pegs once tuned up. Using it now to teach my 5 year old how to play and she's getting the hang of it. Avoid the cheaper ukes, they simply do not keep in tune. You will be happy with this one and it comes with a case !!