ARRAY(0xa82ea2e8)

Different Seasons
Different Seasons
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 Nov 2008
This review is from: Different Seasons (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite books.
We have four short stories, each around a bit more than 100 pages long and corresponding with the four different seasons. A tale of spring hope, summer corruption, a fall from inocence and a cold winter's tale.

The typical horror story is the one of winter and is chilling, i.e. normal King horror fashion.
But the others are something different altogether.
The horror of the summer story, about a young boy and how his mind is corrupted, you feel in the pit of your stomach. King, never one to shy away from graphic detail, creates a true atmosphere of foreboding in this shocking story.
The tale of spring is astounding, it gives you a true insight into a world anyone who has not been to prison has never seen. It's an inspirational story and leaves a real impact on you.
The Body - the one about autumn/fall - is about four young boys going to discover something morbid and how their journey towards it has a great effect on them. It's a really touching story, and it will move you to an extent that will stay with you forever.
Each of the four stories is narrated in true King manner, the characters being so real it's almost as if you know them personally. A great book.

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just so real, 2 Nov 2008
On a personal note, I only read this book a few months ago and I felt I could relate to a lot of what the young adolescent narrator is going through. Anyone who has been a teenager can.

Catcher in the Rye isn't a plot filled story; I wouldn't say a whole lot happens as such, but it's the way in which it's written and how the centeral character describes what he is feeling that makes this book so beautiful.

It's like you know this boy, Holden Caulfield becomes your friend as you read on. Reading the novel is like hearing a close friend telling you a story about what's been happening in their life. When it ended, I almost missed him and his dystopic views of the world; which makes me know I'll be reading it again and again.

It's upto you as the reader to decide how complex J.D Salinger's ideas for this novel were. I mean, if you want to just take the story as it is, you can, but if you want to put forward your own interpretations and symbolism of the events that take place, you can do that too and no one has the right to argue with you because no one but Salinger can say what the book is truly about. That's another thing that makes it such a personal book to every individual that reads it.

So, maybe it isn't dripping with plot twists and insanely complicated ideas, but it's such a "touchable" book, the character is so relatable and his story so understandable, that it has become one of the most captivating things I have, and very probably ever will, read.

We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
by Lionel Shriver

2.0 out of 5 stars Verbose and dull, 5 Aug 2008
I realise I fall into the smaller category of people who didn't enjoy this book and I'll tell you why.
The book bored me - the language used was pretentious and far too lengthy.
The reason the book didn't get only one star from me is because I can appriciate there were moments in the book that I enjoyed, however, they was a great lack of them.
I was told before hand there was a twist - there wasn't. I think I realise what is intended to be the twist, but it wasn't anything surprising at all.
I hated the main character and I could not sympathise with her at all. She didn't deserve what she got, but her negitivity about every little thing became mind numbing and her dislike of Kevin the day he was born put me right off her.
If you can't stand verbose tedious writing, don't bother with this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2009 5:23 PM BST

Candy [2006] [DVD]
Candy [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Heath Ledger
Price: 11.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 24 July 2008
This review is from: Candy [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
"When I first met Candy..."
Heath Ledger gives an astounding performance as Dan, a friendly poet and the lover of painter Candy, played by Abbie Cornish, who is attracted to his bohemian lifestyle. The two are drug abusers and find themselves becoming more and more addicted to heroin, and also each other.

The film makes you want to cry, both actors delivering bewilderingly beautiful performances. Dan's inability to refuse Candy anything making him a weak central charater whom we love, Ledger's calm deep voice makes Dan as real as any boy you'd meet on the street.

People who compare the book to the film, should stop and marval at the film as an entity of its own - the directing is brilliant and the humor is also great.

It's worth a watch by everyone and will stay in your mind for a long time.

Mysterious Skin [DVD] [2005]
Mysterious Skin [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Brady Corbet
Offered by FilmloverUK
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing and brilliant, 24 July 2008
This review is from: Mysterious Skin [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This film deals with victims of paedophilia and how their childhood abuse has affected their adult lives.
The film is bold and explores the lives of the victims in heart wrenchingly honest ways, exposing the viewer to the reality of what these children went through, the characters being so realistic that by the end of the film you feel you really know them.
The acting was great and the film was gripping and thought provoking.
Worth a watch if you can handle it.

Anybody Out There
Anybody Out There
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 5 Jun 2008
This review is from: Anybody Out There (Paperback)
One of my favourite books. Marian stays faithful to her humorous style, but this book has a depth and personality to it that puts it right there at the top for me.
I enjoy Marian Keyes' books, and Anna with her endearing personality and interesting life, combined with the romance she finds in this book topped with the typical and funny Walsh family situations, brought me to laughter, and also tears...
For Keyes fans - this book is definitely worth a read.

Slam
Slam
by Nick Hornby
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars for hornby - disappointing, 26 May 2008
This review is from: Slam (Hardcover)
I have been a great fan of Nick Hornby's writing for a long, long time now. I enjoy his style, all his novels impressing me with their dry sarcasm and spot on observations.

Therefore, I was really looking forward to Slam - so maybe I expected too much. This has been his weakest work for me personally. It's still undeniably funny; due to Hornby being a brilliant writer. But something about the story left me feeling indifferent towards what I had read; it's not something that will stay with me, which is disappointing considering Hornby's normal standards.

A Spot of Bother
A Spot of Bother
by Mark Haddon
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars fun from the family, 24 May 2008
This review is from: A Spot of Bother (Paperback)
I really enjoyed it - each character in the book has their own problems and their own personality, all of them clearly defined as individuals. The novel retains the original Mark Haddon humour, crisp sentences combined with honesty, and George's descent into madness is both pitiful but also hilarious. I never knew what he would do next, and though at times gruesome, Haddon's style manages to envoke humour even in the most dire of situations.

However, the novel should notably be recognised as a story on its own; without the overly high expectations people carry through after reading his previous work of "The Curious Incident...".
This also isn't a book for everyone, but if you like Haddon's style, you shouldn't be too disappointed.

Crystal
Crystal
by Katie Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Jeez..., 24 May 2008
This review is from: Crystal (Hardcover)
I was surprised to be told that Katie Price was apparently actually a good writer, and I immediately went down to the local librarly and rented the book out.
I was lied to.

To be honest, the writing itself isn't terrible. Her style gives the reader a lot of drama very fast, and I can see why some people would enjoy this. But personally, I require some realistic description as well, and I found the lead character's stupidity frustrating. The story was overly optimistic and very far fetched.

But; then again, if you want a simplistic read with no real depth, maybe this book would do.