Profile for A. D. Thorne > Reviews

Content by A. D. Thorne

A. D. Thorne "DT" (Warfield, Berks, UK)

The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid
The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid
by Bill Bryson

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly laugh out loud (if you are of a certain generation!) - my best read for years., 23 Oct. 2014
A wonderful look at American life through BB's eyes as a child growing up through the 50's and 60's. So reminiscent of my own childhood memories - evoking envious thoughts of "why is everything in America so much better than in boring England?"
I found myself in tears, chuckling away at Bryson's sublime descriptions of grotty kids and their vile habits...and I don't laugh easily when reading.

The Gardener from Ochakov (Vintage)
The Gardener from Ochakov (Vintage)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it - not run of the mill and very out of the ordinary. A perfect rainy night read!, 23 Oct. 2014
Super read! Unusual and interesting - quirky and compelling.

Cairo
Cairo
by Chris Womersley

5.0 out of 5 stars A true sense of atmosphere wrapped around a wonderful story., 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Cairo (Hardcover)
A truly unputdownable read - I loved it!

Men Who Climb Mountains
Men Who Climb Mountains
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Crampons attached, nuts & pitons primed - now breathe in the blasting icy air from atop the Matterhorn......aaaaaand relax!, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Men Who Climb Mountains (Audio CD)
They just keep coming! - another top class album from the wonderful Pendragon! Song structure, lyrics, imagery, musicianship all of the finest quality - in keeping with the consistently high standards the boys set themselves. Nick Barrett's masterful guitar both soothes, swoops and soars throughout, entwined with Clive Nolan's black & white-note alchemy and ivory-clad prestidigitation: these guys know how to paint Velazquez-inspired chiaroscuro ! MWCM just keeps on growing on you and revealing itself by degrees. It pains me to throw in a negative but my only criticism is the production of Craig Blundell's Drums, that deserve far better treatment. For me it just sounds too dull and under-stated when compared to Scottie Higham's work on previous albums. Craig's technique is without doubt first rate and there are some terrifically complex rhythms going on but it comes over in parts like beating soggy cardboard - more tonal contrast on the percussion knob please!
From early listening, I really love "Explorers of the Infinite" and "Netherworld" but look forward to ascending further into the complexity of this musical White Spider.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2014 1:14 PM BST

The Missing
The Missing
by Tim Gautreaux

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing at its very best!, 30 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Missing (Paperback)
This was my first Tim Gautreaux novel and I can honestly say that this was the best book I have read in a very long time. I was gripped from cover to cover by the credible plot, the stunning and evocative description and quality characterisation. A great, atmospheric tale which you don't want to finish! I am now ordering my next Gautreaux novel.

61 Hours: (Jack Reacher 14)
61 Hours: (Jack Reacher 14)
by Lee Child

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of good reading hours!, 28 May 2010
This was my first Lee Child novel: I have to admit i didn't realise it was one of a series of Jack Reacher stories. The setting and initial descriptive strength certainly whet my appetite but what followed became an overbearing repetitive, unexciting attempt to tease. I desperately wanted something to actually happen, but no!.... just more descriptive filler: it could have been cut and pasted many times. As for Jack Reacher, he seems to be the brainchild of an imaginative 10 year old: a juvenile fantasy action figure - totally impausible to the adult mind. You soon realise that this guy always wins, can't be killed, has super-powers and always gets the girl. Sickeningly cheesy and boring in equal measure!
I am fed up of this sort of hollywood style, churned-out fantasy drivel. Seeing some reviewers describe this as one of the best Child has to offer, I'll give his others a very wide berth and leave them to the kids.

The Brutal Art
The Brutal Art
by Jesse Kellerman

2.0 out of 5 stars Great promise leads to huge disappointment!, 24 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Brutal Art (Paperback)
Having rapidly become enthralled in this potentially fascinating story, doubts began creeping in, in the shape of increasingly rambling and often confusing "interludes". Many peripheral but relevant characters faded in and out, leaving one struggling to remember their role. Finally, when a satisfying conclusion was teed-up, the whole thing fizzled out in a damp squib of dull reminiscence. The book left me annoyed that I'd wasted time on it quite frankly.

Bless The Weather
Bless The Weather

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine "Must Have" Album, 4 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Bless The Weather (Audio CD)
This is one of the best nouveau folk albums of all time. Still fresh and meaningful in today's cynical times, with a range of beautiful songs, simply crafted with total integrity. This really is a must have album for anyone interested in quality songwriting, singing and musical craftsmanship.
It still inspires, enlightens and fills my heart everytime i hear it.

No Country for Old Men
No Country for Old Men
by Cormac McCarthy

3.0 out of 5 stars Fizzled out!, 30 Jan. 2008
This review is from: No Country for Old Men (Paperback)
This book started at such a promising, great pace, I thought i was in for a really thrilling read. How disappointed I was when, two-thirds in and with little build-up, the protagonist is suddenly dead, and the narrator goes off, for the remainder of the book, on a philosophical, moralistic ramble! Hugely frustrating that the pace should fizzle out in this way...and a big let down (given all the hype, film etc!) I may have missed the point somewhere, but feel this book could have given so much more had the pace been maintained!