Profile for Polly > Reviews

Polly

The Throwaway Children
The Throwaway Children

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 2 Jun. 2015
Sorry, couldn't see the attraction in this book at all. Overly simplistic English, overly sentimental, and I have now stopped reading it at the point where the sexual abuse starts, I don't mind gritty, but when I started to laugh at the abject misery that was being described, I realised I wasn't on the same wavelength as the author and other readers. Grim.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2015 9:40 AM BST

Elements Sterling Silver Women's E4563 Triple Butterfly Drop Earring
Elements Sterling Silver Women's E4563 Triple Butterfly Drop Earring

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 19 May 2015
Pretty and very light to wear, but seem fragile.

Tuscany Silver Aqua and Green Crystal Dragonfly Drop Earrings
Tuscany Silver Aqua and Green Crystal Dragonfly Drop Earrings

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 19 May 2015
Very pretty. Size as expected but would like the option of a bigger size, even if it costs more.

Inside The Centre: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer
Inside The Centre: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer
by Ray Monk

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a previous reviewer, 27 Feb. 2015
Like a previous reviewer, I picked up the book after seeing the play at the RSC. My husband suggested that it might be too long and that I would not read it. Well, I haven't finished yet, but it is an excellent read. The amount of research is staggering, but for all the words (and small print!) it is very, very readable. It just takes a bit of time. But then, I don't really want it to finish :-)

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had stopped at The Secrest History, 6 April 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I give this book two stars for effort, and the proof reading seems to be have done well. What is it with Donna Tartt and drink and drugs? Bearable in The Secret History but enough now.....I ploughed through the book in the hope of something special. It was boring and self indulgent. The ending (which I pat myself on the back for getting to...) was simply pages of pretentious twaddle.

Páramo Velez Adventure Ladies Smock Cerise/ Chilli Pepper Medium
Páramo Velez Adventure Ladies Smock Cerise/ Chilli Pepper Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Very functional jacket, 21 Aug. 2013
I was delighted to find this jacket at a reduced price on Amazon. I was a bit worried about the sizing, but I am a size 14, and the medium size fitted me with enough room for a fleece underneath.
Everything about this jacket smells of quality, the zips, the hood etc. I have some Paramo trousers which are great, and it has taken me along time to bite the bullet and buy a jacket. Wish I had done so sooner.
Ideally for those who don't like 'crispy' fabric. This offers comfort and movement.

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 27 July 2010
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
I can't write a fair review on this book. It is obviously well researched and written, but I'm afraid I lost the will to read it after the first couple of chapters. Too many characters and not enough interest to keep the pages turning. I felt as if I was listening to a bore at a dinner party. Sorry
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2010 12:46 PM BST

The Glass Room
The Glass Room
by Simon Mawer

4.0 out of 5 stars Different perspective, 27 July 2010
This review is from: The Glass Room (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book. It was a an interesting perspective on a commom theme, and it made me want to visit the house....except I don't know where it is!