Profile for S. Picken > Reviews

Men from the Boys
Men from the Boys
by Tony Parsons

4.0 out of 5 stars Good end to the trilogy, 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Paperback)
This is the end of the trilogy so you must read the others first; man & Boy, Man & Wife before this one. I have to say that as a trilogy it's a great story that married and possibly divorced men will really understand. Harry Silver's life over a ten year period, quite funny at times and makes you think about your own life.

Also check out his "Family Way" book! possibly his best.

The Burning: (Maeve Kerrigan 1)
The Burning: (Maeve Kerrigan 1)
by Jane Casey

4.0 out of 5 stars A little misleading, 28 Sept. 2012
I read this one by Casey after first reading "The Reckoning" and although I enjoyed it I found it was not really about The Burning Man but rather another killer. The Burning Man has already killed 4 times and doesn't really do much else after that.

A very good story, well written and a complex plot but The Reckoning is better. Maybe by her 4th outing Casey will be the great writer that she obviously is going to be.

Kill Me Once (Fbi Special Agent Dana Whitestone)
Kill Me Once (Fbi Special Agent Dana Whitestone)
by Jon Osborne

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read, 15 Aug. 2012
I bought this book as a part of deal and it looked good from the cover. As soon as I started reading it I couldn't put it down. Read it in about 4 days wich for me is good. Loads of murders and blood and gore, good story about a serial killer who is copying crimes of the past. The twists are a bit obvious but a cracking book. This book will probably spark my interest in similar books and get me away from Andy McNab for a while.

Underwater Sunshine (Or What We Did On Our Summer Vacation)
Underwater Sunshine (Or What We Did On Our Summer Vacation)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff.!, 19 May 2012
As a lot of people before me have said, I was suprised to see CC doing a covers album but it could very easily be an album of their own stuff. Classic Crows, going back a couple of records to their best era!

If you have the UK CD of Hard Candy then you already have a couple of tracks from this CD but re-recorded.

Crows at their best, absolute belter. Highlights are Mercy, Meet on the Ledge & Four White Stallions.

And Friends - Live at Voce
And Friends - Live at Voce

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff.!, 19 Mar. 2012
Got this the other day, haven't stopped playing it yet. Loads of great playing from all of the musicians; Gadd does what you'd expect and more and the organ player has now become my favourite player. Brilliant CD, not sure about the bonus tracks even though I'm an Edie Brickell fan too.....Buy it.

Rush - In Rio [DVD] [2008]
Rush - In Rio [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Rush
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars They're Back!, 30 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Rush - In Rio [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I think it's fair to say that even as a Rush fan since 1987(not that long compaired to some) it has been easy to forget about the mighty Rush and move on to other bands and styles of music, I go back every now and then and get out some classic stuff such as 2112 and Hemispheres etc,etc,etc. But maybe Rush had lost there way some time in the 90's, fair enough if one reads about Peart's tragedies; but somehow through all this they have bounced back and played to the biggest crowd of there carrier and are playing better than ever.
We've all got countless versions of tracks like Tom Sawyer and closer to the heart but this DVD sounds more relaxed and even sounds more "mature". Check out the middle 8 in Tom Sawyer; Peart is evidence that one is never to old to go back to basics and re-evaluate technique. Freddy Gruber has made such a difference to an already excellent player.
They may never win new fans with the new material or the old but fans that have followed them over the years will appreciate this somehow "refreshing" new sound.
Astounding show, Great documentory, All round excellent DVD for the collection of any Rush fan.

The Nightfly
The Nightfly

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's who of the session industry., 22 Dec. 2003
This review is from: The Nightfly (Audio CD)
My favourite album of all time has got to be DF's The Nightfly, Ironically a CD that remained unplayed in my collection for over five years untill I redescovered it and gave it a sample playing. As a drummer this is the CD that changed my life! A who's who of great session players; James Gadson's shuffle groove on I.G.Y is so solid you can set your watch by it. Green flower Street is one of Porcaro's best recordings, accompanied on bass by the great Chuck Rainey. Maxine has a piano solo by the brilliant Gregg Phillinganes. The title track is an all round pleaser for me with yet another tight groove from Porcaro that sits so snug with the click track that it mixes into one, Marcus Miller plays out of his skin While larry Carlton does what he does best, Fagen's piano chords have spaces between them that seem to last forever before coming in with immaculate timing. The whole album has an air of the fifties but with astoundingly well pollished production; there aren't many albums that fit every mood, a master piece and a true classic!