Profile for ClaireSews > Reviews

ClaireSews

Honeywell HS-216E Oscillating and Tilt Stand Fan - Black
Honeywell HS-216E Oscillating and Tilt Stand Fan - Black
Offered by eGadgetland

2.0 out of 5 stars Quiet reliable motor/fan - but dissapointingly does NOT tilt, 8 July 2013
Having had a previous Honeywell pedestal floor-fan for 10+ years that gave me good service I decided to become a repeat customer when the need for another fan arose.

The fan arrived well packaged in the manufacturer's own box (plus Amazon' own outer packaging), and all initially looked good.
Unfortunately, the instructions are very limited - and I had to read through each step several times before they made sense. There are very small numbered-photos demonstrating each step all on one-page, and then overleaf the written corresponding instructions - this made for much awkward flicking back and forth peering intently at the tiny black & white photos trying to figure out what they meant.

Sadly, for me I got right to the end of the assembly process and switched on the fan - it was great! Relatively quiet, yet powerful breeze - just what I wanted. However, I then tried to adjust the up-down tilt (note - not the side-to-side sweeping oscillation which worked fine). And no matter what I did it would not move more than 1cm from the standard position.

Unfortunately, the reason I picked this model was primarily for it's tilt function (as mentioned in the product name/listing on Amazon: 'Honeywell HS-216E Oscillating and Tilt Stand Fan - Black') - therefore no tilt = an entirely useless purchase for my needs. This non-tilting seems to be a problem another customer had: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1EK4AEBKF8BH5/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00197I5P0&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

The reason I wanted the tilt? We usually have a tall floor pedestal fan at the end of our double-bed in summer, and we tilt the direction downwards onto the surface of the bed and allow it to oscillate back and forth during the night to keep us both cool as a couple. (Something that our previous Honeywell fan did extremely well - until I accidentally broke the plastic upright tubing on it and I couldn't repair it.)

So, if you are after a fairly quiet floor pedestal fan (and do not need it to tilt at all) then this would be a great buy. The base is heavy and stable (it felt as if they'd carefully considered a heavier-base to counteract the weight of the fan-motor above it), and seems unlikely to fall-over to me from slight passing knocks.

Pros - Quiet fan motor, sturdy base.

Cons - Tricky to assemble (quickly - you just need time to decipher the booklet), does not tilt, and power lead/cable could do with being a bit longer. (Minor quibble - I didn't like the big silvery-white 'Honeywell' logo in the centre - I'd of preferred plain black.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2014 10:50 PM BST

GENUINE LEATHER COIN PURSE (1589)
GENUINE LEATHER COIN PURSE (1589)
Price: £0.01 - £4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great old-fashioned little coin purse, 28 Jan 2013
Great old-fashioned little coin purse - perfect for rescuing my Hubby from torn trouser pockets! Plus, very easy to see what change you have in a hurry without the coins spilling out everywhere.

CaseCrown Bold Standby Case (Green) for 2012 1st Generation Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7 Inch with Auto Sleep Function (DOES NOT FIT HDX MODEL)
Offered by Senyx

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value faux-leather / pleather case, 28 Jan 2013
Great value for money faux-leather case for my Hubby's Kindle Fire HD. (It cost just £3.21 when I bought it in December 2012). NB: Does not have a stylus/pen holder if you are a looking for a case that does. I bought him the bright-green colour - as I figure it's easier to spot a brightly coloured case at the bottom of his bag in a hurry (easier than rummaging around in the dark insides LOL!)

Original Invero®Branded Amazon Kindle UK 3 Pin Mains / Wall Charger Cable Lead with Charging LED (Kindle, Kindle Touch, Touch 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD / 3G, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 3 / 3G, Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display)
Offered by POWERPLUS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great charger - not as fast as the "official" fast-charger, but then it's not marketed as such, 28 Jan 2013
Great charger, works fine with my Kindle Fire HD (Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - With Special Offers the UK model - as bought in Oct 2012). It doesn't charge as fast as the "official" Amazon own-brand "fast-charger" (Tablet Power Adaptor, Kindle PowerFast for Accelerated Charging, UK (for Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD) ) but it does have a more flexible cable - which is easier to wrap up and store away (the "official" charger is a much stiffer.thicker cable - which will probably last longer and be less likely to break).

Complete Book of Sewing Short Cuts
Complete Book of Sewing Short Cuts
by Claire B. Shaeffer

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great book; an interesting read for all sewing fans from the novice to advanced!, 28 Jan 2013
This now out of print book is a great read, and has a great many useful and handy time saving tips for the home sewist, and indeed anyone looking to improve their dressmaking/garment construction skills. Claire Shaeffer explains the techniques and tips throughly and in a logical manner - making it very easy to follow. I'd recommend this title to anyone, especially as they're so cheap as a used/second-hand book too!

If the publishers were ever to update and re-print the book I'd recommend that they number each "Tip" - and add a notes section to the front or back of the book, so the reader could easily jot down the number of their favourite tip :)

P.S. I also own PatternReview.com: 1000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts and Tips: Top-Rated Favorites from Sewing Fans and Master Teachers (which has tips from real-life sewers, as well as in depth tutorials and how-to's by long standing experts) - and if you enjoyed the Claire Shaeffer book, then the PatternReview.com book is like modern day equivalent - they pair-up very well together, and are both favourites in my sewing library.