Profile for Jim Geraghty > Reviews

Content by Jim Geraghty

Jim Geraghty (Hursley, Hants United Kingdom)

Crossfire: (Nick Stone Book 10)
Crossfire: (Nick Stone Book 10)
by Andy McNab

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 14 Dec. 2012
I couldn't find this one in the shops at the time, so was forced to go online. All the Nick Stone books are great. It was good to get this when I wanted it.

Raspberry Pi User Guide
Raspberry Pi User Guide
by Eben Upton

5.0 out of 5 stars What I needed, 14 Dec. 2012
Excellent source for an absolute beginner. PI is simple but not obvious, and reading this stopped me making big and expensive mistakes from the start.

SanDisk 4GB SDHC Secure Digital Card
SanDisk 4GB SDHC Secure Digital Card
Offered by HM-Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, 14 Dec. 2012
I needed more SD storage and I will need even more. This was a cost effective option and I shall be back for more.

Protective Case / Box / Enclosure Transparent (Blue) for Raspberry Pi
Protective Case / Box / Enclosure Transparent (Blue) for Raspberry Pi
Offered by SB Components Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars What I wanted, 14 Dec. 2012
Exactly what I wanted and expected. Good price, does what I want. The PI is safe and no longer traps dust.

Seinfeld : Season 7 [DVD] [2006]
Seinfeld : Season 7 [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Jerry Seinfeld
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Very rewarding purchase, 9 Oct. 2010
I love the Seinfeld series, and went for this DVD because I know I haven't got it. Great value and I shall watch it until it wears out.

Consuming Passions: History of English Food and Appetite
Consuming Passions: History of English Food and Appetite
by Philippa Pullar

5.0 out of 5 stars Good hardback, 9 Oct. 2010
I have looked for this book since reading it about 30 years ago. Having ordered it, I received the book within about two days, and it is good. It is as entertaining as I remember it, and the book is in good condition for its age.

PaintShop Photo Pro X3 For Photographers
PaintShop Photo Pro X3 For Photographers
by Ken McMahon

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture Perfect, 1 Sept. 2010
I'm old enough to remember when all software came with one or more manuals - actual hardcopy. Nowadays, software for ordinary users is very well-designed and quite intuitive, so you can learn to use it by trial and error. Yet if you want to use powerful software properly, and become an expert with it, you need to read a book. I like the book to be on my desk, made of paper.

This book is on my desk. It is made of paper, and beyond that it is excellent. It is well structured, making it possible either to start learning from scratch or to skip to a section covering a particular problem or technique. I bought it after downloading a trial version of the software, and it taught me enough about special techniques in a day or two to know that I wanted to buy the full product.

Many such books are unbalanced; not this one. The introductory section was a small part of the book, which was good, as I didn't need reminding of some simpler concepts. Many guide books contain little more than such elementary lessons.

Once I got into the body of the book it was full of meaty, practical guidance. I could tell the writer had tackled the kind of problems I have with photos, and I could easily follow the step-by-step approaches to getting the results I wanted. I expect to spend many days absorbed in the process of photo-processing, and the book will always be beside me.

Note: I think the software itself is a bargain, especially with two free software packages that came with it.

I have only one suggestion for the publisher, and I offer it to publishers of all books on practical subjects: offer this book in spiral-bound format. When I'm using a book like this I want it to lie flat, without a flower pot on the edge of one page and a dictionary on the other. (This suggestion applies also to guitar tutorial books, receipe books, DIY books, and many others.) My fee for this piece of consultancy work? - A free copy of the spiral bound edition, thanks.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2010 4:03 PM GMT

If... [VHS]
If... [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical fantasy, 1 Aug. 2005
This review is from: If... [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Like the other reviewers, I think this is a great film, and I'm astonished it has never come out on DVD. I check the new releases every week, in hope...
The story is great. As someone who went to grammar school in the 60s, I relate to the oppressive, bullying atmosphere of a prefect-patrolled school, with Rugby and CCF used as instruments of power. Fortunately, we didn't board and we didn't have fagging.
We understood why boys MIGHT go crazy and start a revolution, but the system was designed to keep control, so we never did. But you can still imagine, with a degree of pleasure - what if...