Profile for R. Thompson > Reviews

R. Thompson (UK)

Bizarro
Bizarro

5.0 out of 5 stars Just astonishing, 27 July 2007
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
I have been buying music for over 30 years, have owned this album for nearly 20 and nothing comes close to maintaining the longevity of affection I have for this album.

For me it sets the benchmark for blokes with guitars, amps that go all the way up to 11 and a story to tell.

Buy it, play it. Love it.

A Long Way Down
A Long Way Down
by Nick Hornby

3.0 out of 5 stars About a plot......., 30 May 2006
This review is from: A Long Way Down (Paperback)
I really like Nick Hornby's writing - there I've said it.

His style is eminently readable and his take on modern life is second to none. But I had the same feeling at the end of this book as I did at the end of 'How To Be Good', which can be only summed up as 'so what?'

I can handle a plethora of non-sympathetic characters, I can handle multiple first person accounts, I can handle suspension of belief required to allow for the central conceit of this book to occur, but what I can't handle is Mr Hornby's almost steadfast refusal to resolve anything.

Mr Hornby is evidently a skilled writer in both his dialogue and characterisation but has recently seemed to wilfully ignore plotlines in favour of 'here's a snapshot of real-life - aren't I so grown-up that I don't need to write a ending to this?'

This may sound a bit churlish and I would not want to condemn Mr Hornby to a life-time of writing 'lad-lit' Boy Nearly Loses Girl or Boy Meets Football Team tales but with so much talent on show elsewhere in his writing, why can't he have the confidence to write a damn good story again ?

31 Songs
31 Songs
by Nick Hornby

4.0 out of 5 stars If music be the food of love......, 20 Mar 2003
This review is from: 31 Songs (Hardcover)
If you have a solitary CD to your name, I defy you not to get caught up in Nick Hornby's infectious love of pop music and what it has meant to him from puberty to middle age.
So what if you have not heard of most of the songs ? By the time Hornby has finished a particular essay, I'm sure you want to listen to any number of pleasingly esoteric ditties from "You've Had Time" from Ani Difranco to "Let's Straighten it Out" by O.V. Wright, if only to hear what all the fuss is about.
But curiously the book is all the more effective for not being a collection of well trodden favourites, the important thing here is not the songs themselves but the various effects that they have wrought on the author from a simple warm fuzzy feeling to the closest a secularist can come to spirituality. It takes a brave and confident writer to attempt to link a song from a film sound track to his deepest feelings about his autistic son, but Hornby pulls it off, and in doing so, makes us all those who derive our cultural pleasures exclusively from pop music, think more deeply about our relationship with those songs which have accompanied our personal highs and lows.
So if you love music and recognise the emotional responses it can produce then buy this book or maybe, given its price and brevity, demand it as a birthday present ?