Profile for Blackshuck > Reviews

Content by Blackshuck

Blackshuck "Dog owner" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do, and How to Change
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do, and How to Change
by Charles Duhigg

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving this book. So much so my friend picked ..., 4 Jan. 2015
Loving this book. So much so my friend picked it up when she came to stay, couldn't put it down so I had to give it to her as a Christmas present and buy another one. Addictively readable.

Focus
Focus
by Daniel Goleman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Readable, but unfocussed. I found this book quite ..., 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Focus (Mass Market Paperback)
Readable, but unfocussed. I found this book quite difficult to get through - kept finding myself half way through a chapter and thinking 'I've forgotten what this book is about, what's it about again?' Goleman just doesn't manage to keep Focus! I think it could be shortened to about a third of the content.

Battery--World High Quality Remote training 1 for 1 collar device (receiver) with LCD display & hand- held remote control Unit, vibration or micro static shock & whistle tone sound function
Offered by WMicroUK

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want to have a pet you can control through electricity buy an AIBO robot dog, 11 Aug. 2013
Pointless having a dog if this is the way you communicate with (control) it. Do yourself a favour and don't get a dog if you intend to use one of these.

With your dog wearing one of these you can proudly display how inadequate and socially incompetent you are. You can't even communicate with your dog except by zapping them to comply. Pretty sad, huh?

In Defence of Dogs: Why Dogs Need Our Understanding
In Defence of Dogs: Why Dogs Need Our Understanding
by John Bradshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars The one book you must read if you like dogs, 2 Aug. 2011
So much has happened in the world of dog behaviour research over the last 15 years, and this book is well overdue in providing a clear but thorough summary of what this research has revealed and where we are now in our understanding of dogs. While a lot of scientists and trainers/behaviourists have shifted their thinking along with new findings, the problem is that a lot of books for dog owners that are still available in the shops are based on flawed research studies, or worse, just spin and hype created around the charisma of the 'personality' that is promoting the dog training method. This book brings us bang up to date and also prepares us for the road ahead in protecting, supporting and celebrating our best friends.

PetSafe 100 m Big Dog Remote Trainer
PetSafe 100 m Big Dog Remote Trainer
Offered by MasterPlastics

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 24 Mar. 2009
Please read the research done on the effects of using a product such as this on a dog. These have no place being sold on the general market.

Please read the advice given on the use of these products by any major reputable behaviour or welfare organisation - the RSPCA, the APDT, the APBC... Blue Cross, Dogs Trust.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2013 3:48 PM BST

Dancing with Dogs: A Step-by-step Guide to Freestyle
Dancing with Dogs: A Step-by-step Guide to Freestyle
by Richard Curtis

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, 26 Nov. 2008
This is the only dog dancing book I've got, but is a good introduction and we have learnt many moves from it.

Dog Years
Dog Years
by Mark Doty

4.0 out of 5 stars A cliqued genre, but glad I read this one, 26 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Dog Years (Paperback)
I am not one for memoirs, let alone dog-themed memoirs. I haven't read any others. However, having caught sight of a recommendation for this and being sufficiently intrigued/gripped when flicking through, I bought it and read the first chapter but it took another 6 months before I finally read it all.

It drew me and lost me almost in equal measures. Mark Doty writes with great beauty and sensitivity about his dogs, articulating with great skill how many of us feel within that canine-human relationship but cannot give words to, and combines this with an appreciation of Emily Dickenson (in particular) and other poets, which won me over. The human love stories were also absorbing in their own right - I need to like the main characters in a book, and I can't help but like anyone willing to share a bed with two retrievers!

It would have perhaps been improved by a good friend reading the manuscript beforehand unfraid to say 'Oi, Doty NO!' (in the style of Harry Enfields Frank character in the pub!). He does let himself go in pretentious indulgence in some passages, so that you're left thinking... what is this guy on about? Like where he describes his dog sleeping out in the rain... "he suddenly seems to me the image of King Lear...fallen, intensely vulnerable....And I'm the worried Fool, trying to rouse the tragic, failing King". Then he starts the next paragraph; "But perhaps I dramatize, as I have been known to do." So I think he realises when he's perhaps in danger of losing the reader.

The startling, cutting beauty of passages such as this below make up for it:

"It's amazing how even beaten dogs, creatures subject to the most mindless cruelty, will often seem to say to us, 'Yes, I register you, hello, what are our possibilities?' "

I love that line, the hope, the belief within it. I loved his analysis of Dickensons poem. There were many passages in this book that resonated, and reassures that those of us who love the smell of wet dog, think that sleeping with 2 dogs on the bed is a viable lifestyle option, and have felt the emptiness of loss of a canine family member, are not alone.

The Seville Communion
The Seville Communion
by Arturo Peréz-Reverte

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful tosh, 11 May 2008
This review is from: The Seville Communion (Paperback)
Utter rubbish, not worth the hype, and I wish I hadn't bothered reading to the end.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2013 4:14 PM BST

Be the Pack Leader: Use Cesar's Way to Transform Your Dog . . . and Your Life
Be the Pack Leader: Use Cesar's Way to Transform Your Dog . . . and Your Life
by Cesar Millan

1.0 out of 5 stars Please look at other dog trainers, 13 Oct. 2007
Cesar Millan may be popular, but I would recommend anyone to look at other books by dog trainers who use 'positive methods' first. The idea of 'pack leadership' is outdated. Don't rely on this guy!
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2011 12:48 AM BST

Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training: Volume II
Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training: Volume II
by Steve Lindsay

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for someone serious about dog behaviour, 5 July 2007
The Lindsay series are essential for anyone serious about understanding dog behaviour and training. However he does have a rather academic style of writing, and this is not an accessible or light read - more a reference book for courses.

Page: 1 | 2