Profile for David Chamberlin > Reviews

Content by David Chamberlin

David Chamberlin (Cambridge, UK)

Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad (4th Generation) - Black
Offered by A Z Bargains
Price: 58.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine but there's one big problem..., 20 Mar 2013
This is a well built, stylish keyboard cover. It is very easy to type on, apart from a tiny backspace key. The hinge is a bit less high quality, and the magnet rather weak, but I think I could have forgiven that but for one problem that no-one else seems to have mentioned. When using the keyboard, text auto-correct is disabled on the iPad. (I've tried several apps - Pages, Notes, PlainText - the same applies to all.) This means that double space for a full stop doesn't work, the first letters of new sentences aren't automatically capitalized, words aren't auto-corrected, just underlined in red. This may not be a problem for some people, but having got used to the very intelligent iPad and iPhone auto-correct, I find I can't do without it. This was a deal-breaker for me, and I've returned it to Amazon for a refund. Very disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2013 9:45 PM GMT

Visionary VM-5 Monopod Including Case
Visionary VM-5 Monopod Including Case
Offered by Dragonfly Optical
Price: 25.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Monopod fine - head cheap and a bit nasty!, 2 Mar 2011
Delivered with Amazon's usual speed and efficiency. The monopod itself is pretty good, especially considering the price - the leg clamps are quite poor quality plastic but they do the job well enough. I'm not sure about the footrest - it won't stay in the folded position without an elastic band, but thanks to the postman I have lots of red ones available ;-) As other reviewers have mentioned, the head is the poorest part of the product - it's all plastic, and the two threaded bolts screw into the plastic. The lateral bolt wouldn't tighten, as the plastic 'thread' was completely stripped on delivery, however a small modification (drilling out a space and inserting a metal nut into the body of the head) means that it now tightens properly. It didn't seem worth sending it back for exchange in view of the price. Overall, a pretty good, essentially disposable, monopod, which I've bought for occasional binocular and spotting scope use.

BT Paragon 650 Telephone Answering Machine - Black
BT Paragon 650 Telephone Answering Machine - Black
Price: 40.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A useless pile of junk - what were you thinking BT?, 25 Jan 2010
I'm normally very tolerant of minor issues with technology products, but this phone has so many issues, I've taken the very unusual step (for me) of returning it to Amazon. I guess I should have believed all the other negative reviews. I bought this to replace a broken Paragon 500, which was a brilliant phone - ringtones assignable to each directory entry, loud ring, clear calls, sensible answer machine and menu system, clear LCD display: pretty much everything its so-called replacement isn't. The ring (once you can find a ringtone that isn't hideously embarrassing, which isn't easy given the appalling choice on this phone) is so quiet, even on full volume, that I can barely hear it even on my desk, with no chance in another room. The ringtones are only assignable by category, which is much less flexible than by directory entry, and you don't get to choose the ringtone for each category. Also, it starts ringing over a second after the other phones in the house, which is stupid, as it's plugged in to the main socket. The answer machine and menu system is incredibly counter-intuitive, and the reverse LCD display looks like it was drawn with a crayon. Call quality is very poor - I can hear myself breathing through the handset louder than the caller I am trying to listen to. And yes, I have the call volume turned right up. The build quality is very poor as well. Assuming it survived violent attack (quite likely if I'd kept it) I doubt this phone would last very long in normal home office use. I've always bought BT branded phone products in the past, because the design and build quality was a step above anything else on the market. No longer, it would seem. Ashamed, BT? You should be.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2013 10:19 AM BST

Already Free
Already Free
Price: 6.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but a departure from Songlines, 23 Jan 2009
This review is from: Already Free (Audio CD)
My signed copy (!) of Already Free arrived from the US this morning, in the same post as my tickets for the April 22 DTB gig at Shepherds Bush Empire - an exciting day! I've listened to it a couple of times, and I think it's going to take a while to grow on me. There are some excellent, immediately accessible tracks, and the band is extended to include other musicians, notably Doyle Bramhall II, with whom DT played with Eric Clapton on tour last year, and who co-produces some of the tracks here. My first impression is that this album has a narrower musical spectrum than the superb Songlines, which is on almost permanent play in my car. However, each of the previous DTB albums have been rather different from one another, so I suppose fans should have expected this! This album is the first produced by DT himself, and recorded at his new studio at his home in Florida. I think that DT's innate humility has resulted in less prominence for his own playing and more emphasis on a group performance. It has a more bluesy feel than Songlines, with the world/roots influences definitely muted by comparison. However, my immediate feeling is that if I'd never heard Songlines, Already Free would be brilliant and worth 5 stars. So, I guess it's going to take a while to soak in, but I'm sure it will become a favourite in time - I find that albums with immediate payback pale after a while, but those you have to work at a bit are ultimately more rewarding. Definitely worth buying - and perhaps a more gentle way in to DTB than some previous albums.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2011 9:59 AM GMT

The Reality Dysfunction: 1/3 (Night's Dawn Trilogy)
The Reality Dysfunction: 1/3 (Night's Dawn Trilogy)
by Peter F. Hamilton

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed genius?, 3 Dec 2007
This is a book with immense promise - brilliant concepts, a galaxy wide canvas, a huge array of characters. Sadly, it falls very short. It is bloated, arcane, amoral, and with a streak of nastiness that leaves a very bad taste. I have to confess that I have given up about a quarter of the way through the book. So far, the work lacks a single sympathetic character, or indeed any character that is more than two-dimensional, and, perhaps my most serious criticism, it lacks soul. How anyone is supposed to plough through over 1200 pages of such bleak hopelessness without becoming seriously depressed is beyond me. And there are two more in the trilogy... Sorry, but I have to disagree very strongly with the majority here, and rate this book as a huge disappointment. I have given it two stars on the basis of the superbly imagined worlds that Hamilton has created, but, unlike Arthur C Clarke, I don't think Hamilton likes people very much, and he has made a correspondingly bleak book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2008 1:21 PM GMT

Hittin' the Note
Hittin' the Note
Offered by sellerfellauk
Price: 21.98

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for years!, 19 Nov 2003
This review is from: Hittin' the Note (Audio CD)
A truly brilliant album, well worth the nine-year wait. Like other reviewers, I was anxious about the Allmans post Dickey Betts, but those fears were totally unfounded. Derek Trucks is an excellent foil to Warren Haynes, providing a more gentle, jazzy feel, with slide solos approaching the deft touch of the late great Duane. All the tracks are strong, and grow with every listen. The sound is as big as you would expect from a large outfit like ABB, and the production is top-notch. Turn it up and enjoy!!