Profile for carly > Reviews

Out of Control
Out of Control
by Sarah Alderson

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 / 5 stars!, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Out of Control (Paperback)
Out of Control is an excellent read. It's exciting, edgy and jam packed with non-stop action. I could totally see this on the big screen!

The storyline follows Liva, who happens to be in the police station as a witness to a shocking murder when the shit hits the fan. The police station is shot up, a massacre that Liva manages to escape from. She escapes with the help of bad boy, Jay!

It doesn't take long for the pair to piece some things together. Turns out Liva is the target of these brutal events. She must out run these men at any costs....

The pacing is relentless and it really never lets up. I adored each big dramatic moment that was revealed and also all the little details that make the storyline so complex. Sarah Alderson's writing is so on point and highly engaging - I can very easily say that I'm a fan of her works.

What I loved the most was the chemistry between Liva and Jay. The sexual tension nearly bloody killed me. I was screaming "come on, kiss already!!" Their electricity was sizzling and I loved that their flirting carried on for most of the book without anything actually happening.

The ending was unexpectedly awesome!

Out of Control had it all - a kick-ass heroine, a swoony guy, a murder mystery, chilling moments, thrilling moments and non-stop action. A highly addictive read that will have readers everywhere on the edge of their seats. To be fair I still have some questions and would love another book...

Heart Of The Wolf: Volume 3 (Eye Of The Storm)
Heart Of The Wolf: Volume 3 (Eye Of The Storm)
by Dianna Hardy

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic instalment, 28 Feb. 2014
I LOVED this....I mean I loved the last one and didn't think it was possible to top, but Dianna has managed to take it to a whole other level yet again - she never ceases to amaze me with her kick ass writing ability!

Hardy has a very up front, no s***, take it or leave it and very unapologetic style of writing - which I love! She takes her characters to the brink because that's where they need to go....and not because she thinks that's the direction that would best please the reader. Raw, sexy and totally believable - a Dianna Hardy sex scene leaves nothing to the imagination and really I wouldn't have it any other way!

The storyline sees Lydia get even closer to her mates, but at a time of great tension in their pack. The full moon is looming and with Lydia's first change imminent, her senses are in...shall we say...over drive!

There is a lot working this storyline from the outside....and with lots of very dangerous characters in play anything could happen (and most probably will). The pack have a traitor in their midst, which could end up being deadly in the long run! The Trident still pose a big threat and Amil has proved himself to be a tricky and very interesting little bugger!

As usual, Lawrence got to me - again! *sigh* that darn wolf is beautifully broken in all the wrong ways but is devilishly moreish and my favourite out of the 3 mates. He made so many discoveries and managed to jump over some pretty big hurdles. Okay, he managed to make me cry....at least twice!

Heart of the Wolf is a glorious instalment in a truly epic series! It is filled with emotion, packed with raging action and also some very hot scenes. The characters are developing so beautifully and the big shocking revelations have me craving the next sizzling instalment. Bring it on!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 Oct. 2013
Great fireguard - does what it's supposed to. Strong, sturdy & keeps kids away from the fire.

The only down side for us - even though it's extending, it was still slightly small for our fire. But to be fair, we knew this before we bought it.

All in all, a great purchase.

Cry Of The Wolf (Eye Of The Storm Book 2)
Cry Of The Wolf (Eye Of The Storm Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 April 2013
This stunning second instalment from Dianna Hardy definitely has the wow factor and has pumped up the heat from the first book! I started reading this and the book was nearly always glued to my palm until the end!

As I have come to love and expect with Dianna's work is hotness and Cry of the Wolf had it in bucket loads. Intimate scenes are never held back and I totally love the wild abandon that goes into each moment! Saying that it's not all about the sexiness (although it could be, lol), there is a great in-depth complexity woven into these lusty pages.

I am a character driven gal and Dianna's males manage to stir something inside me that I haven't felt from reading a J.R. Ward book, and without a doubt Dianna's writing is up there in the awesome Warden category too.

By far my favourite character has to be Lawrence - he oozes the hot stuff and has this beautifully broken thing going on - which I love! The wolves are beautiful and believable, I think they have an earthliness to them that captures the essence of werewolves perfectly and I'm yet to come across wolves with such an edge to them.

The storyline picks up right after the events of book 1 and immediately managed to pull me right back in. Lydia is trying to adjust to everything in her new life, including 3 wolves to call her own. But she won't have long to adjust because shocking secrets come out of the closet and their enemy have stepped things up a notch in the war....

I adored each of Lydia's relationships with her mates and each relationship had it's own unique beauty. Watching Lydia discover and get to know each of them was a joy and I think Dianna has managed to make having 3 mates work perfectly and it's actually quite beautiful.

I think this is a fabulous read that is full of action, danger, shockers, mystery, lusty scenes, touching moments and is all brought together with such wonderful writing. I cannot wait for the next book!

Look Out, Ladybird!
Look Out, Ladybird!
by Jack Tickle

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather funny indeed, 9 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Look Out, Ladybird! (Paperback)
Look Out Ladybird is such a charming little book that definitely has the aww factor!

We adored going on a learning adventure alongside brave little ladybird. Who is trying her best to learn how to fly, it's no easy task and there are plenty of hilarious disasters along the way.

But there is a wonderful lesson in here - to never give up trying, because sometimes it takes lots of practice to be able to master new things. It's such a great lesson to teach kids.

The illustrations are a real treat and kids will be glued to those super bright pages.

The ending is super and had us laughing out loud!

When my 4 year old was asked about her favourite part of the book, she said that she really liked the surprising pull out page that is at the back - which is rather funny indeed!

Releasing the Wolf (Eye of the Storm, No. 1)
Releasing the Wolf (Eye of the Storm, No. 1)
by Dianna Hardy

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot with a capital H!, 3 Mar. 2013
Dianna Hardy's books are always on the hot side but Releasing the Wolf is taken to a whole other steamy level and I simply loved it *fans self*! Dianna has cooked up yet again another complex novel that is highly addictive, wonderfully written and full of sexy males! To be honest I really don't know how she manages to cram so much into a novella but she does it so perfectly. The storyline is fast, furious, in-depth, tense, red hot, full of shockers and delicious characters - What more could you ask for?! My favourite guy would have to be Lawrence, I think he is the most intriguing and probably the rawest out of the lot, he is also one hunk of hot wolf that I won't soon forget in a hurry. I think what I enjoyed the most was the introduction of the Trident (the enemy) who we don't get the full picture of but I was still disgusted and intrigued at the same time.

Lydia has been dreaming of a sexy guy called Ryan for years now and she has now become very familiar with him. But when she goes to bed and dreams of him chained to a wall and recognises the place he's being held, things really do become so much more real. She is immediately thrown into a dark, dangerous world that she never could of imagined existed.

Lydia soon finds out some shocking things about herself and her dream guy, who is really real and a whole lot man. She will soon find herself lusting after more than her dream lover though....

Dianna Hardy's sex scenes really do sizzle and are probably not for the faint hearted, but I think they are stunning! The ending of this book is so interesting and my appetite is definitely wet for the next instalment in this brilliant new series!

Go pick up your copy today of you'd like to go on a wild thrill ride yourself!

Come to School too, Blue Kangaroo! (Blue Kangeroo)
Come to School too, Blue Kangaroo! (Blue Kangeroo)
by Emma Chichester Clark

4.0 out of 5 stars A new favourite, 25 Oct. 2012
We are new to the Blue Kangaroo series, but we had heard nothing but good things about it, so when we seen this one focusing on school we knew it would be perfect! Come to School Too, Blue Kangaroo! is great for little ones starting school for the very first time or returning to school again after the long summer. One of the things my daughter liked about this was the fact that she shares the main characters name, Lily, which is even spelt the same way so she could easily recognise it herself. The storyline is simply delightful and puts some fun into starting school. We think Blue Kangaroo is a cheeky little chappy who we easily fell in love with. The authors writing style is wonderful, it is really easy to fall into and the illustrations are brilliantly bright and attractive. Another new favourite for our shelves.

Little Lily is starting school and she brings her best-friend Blue Kangaroo along too. Blue can't wait to get into school to start exploring all the new and exciting things. But to everyone's surprise Lily forgets to bring Blue home in all the excitement and she feels terrible for leaving him. But Blue Kangaroo is having a real ball doing all the things he seen the children doing earlier in the day. When everyone turns up for school the next day they will discover lots of little surprises from Blue....

We have read this reassuring little story lots of times and it really did help the night before Lily started nursery school. A real winner from Emma Chichester Clark that we would easily recommend!

Defiance: Number 1 in series (Courier's Daughter Trilogy)
Defiance: Number 1 in series (Courier's Daughter Trilogy)
by C.J. Redwine

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first book, 25 Oct. 2012
Defiance really does have a little bit of everything: A complex storyline set in a brutally harsh world that is wonderfully imagined, fantastic writing that is easy to fall into, in-depth like-able characters that I genuinely cared about, kick-butt action, lots of believable emotion and best of all an honest love story that is both natural and really sweet! I really cannot believe this is C.J. Redwine's debut novel, as it is simply wonderful. I really like this exciting new world created here and I think the book bumps along at a great pace. I was never bored or disinterested while reading Defiance, I was stuck to those pages from start to finish. One of the things that annoyed me a little though was the lack of information about the cursed ones, I really would of loved more back info, also was this set in the past, future or present day? I couldn't help thinking on occasion that it was set in the past, maybe it was mentioned and I just didn't pick up on it.

Rachel lives with her father behind the protective walls of a place called Baalboden. The walls protect them from a monstrous beast they call The Cursed One, the city is ruled by a ruthless commander who forces strict rules upon the people of Baalboden. Rachel's dad is the best tracker the commander has but when he doesn't return home from his mission in the wastelands, Rachel knows something is seriously wrong. She is desperate to head out beyond the walls to search for him but escaping proves to be near impossible as the commander is keeping her and her newly appointed protector, Logan, firmly within his sights....

The ending is chillingly good and it really did have me on the edge of my seat throughout. The author conveys loss brilliantly, I really was choked up and really felt for Rachel throughout the book. The girl goes through so much and she always comes out swinging, she is tough, fierce, fiery and I really wouldn't like her any other way. I also loved Logan, who is a real cutie that I really enjoyed getting to know. I really don't want to wait another year for the next instalment, but I am very confident it will be worth the wait. Defiance is a real winner that you need to add to your wishlist today!

01: The Obsidian Mirror (Shakespeare Quartet)
01: The Obsidian Mirror (Shakespeare Quartet)
by Catherine Fisher

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good, 25 Oct. 2012
I love the idea of time travel as the possibilities really are endless, but sometimes in fiction it just doesn't work out. I am so pleased to say that Catherine Fisher has mastered the art of writing about time travel superbly, I was simply glued to this excitedly brilliant storyline! The characters are fabulously quirky, extremely interesting and never dull! There is so much to this complex book, but the thing that I found most intriguing was the introduction of Lady Summer, Lord Winter and The Shee. We don't find out the In's and outs of who they really are or their purpose but we get hints of their dangerously dark natures and it's quite chilling. This is a dark, mysterious, highly thrilling read that I really did enjoy from start to finish, the world building is fantastic even though I had some moments of confusion throughout the book, it was easily overcome. I am new to Catherine Fisher's work and it's easy to say I have been seriously missing out as she really does write compellingly, I will definitely be looking out for more of her works!

Jake Wilde's father disappeared from his friend Oberon Venn's house while working with an obsidian mirror that they are keeping a big secret. Jake doesn't know that though, he just thinks his dad has went missing and has put Oberon Venn in the frame for his murder. Jake manages to get himself kicked out of the fancy private school Oberon Venn (his guardian) is paying for, so he gets sent to Venn's mansion in Wintercombe, which is just wanted all along. He is accompanied by his tutor Mr Warton.

When he arrives at the dark, spooky mansion and confronts Venn about his suspicions he ends up finding out more than he bargained for.! His father is lost somewhere in time and Venn has no idea how to get him back out of the Chronoptika, which seems to react more when Jake is around....

The lead up to the ending is action packed, complex and mind boggingly good! I really cannot wait to get my hands on the next book. I urge everyone to pick up this book as you will easily get wrapped up in this great new world that has been crafted so brilliantly by Catherine Fisher!

4.5/5 Stars!

My Little Sister
My Little Sister
by Joanna Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars An exciting adventure, 25 Oct. 2012
This review is from: My Little Sister (Hardcover)
My Little Sister is a real exciting adventure tale, it had us laughing and sitting on the edge of our seats throughout! I thought this would be great for my daughter as she is going to be a big sister herself really soon and we were not disappointed with this. We were taken on a wild adventure with a little boy trying to chase down and look after his fearless little sister. Big responsibilities come with being a big brother or sister and it can be really hard work. The poor big brother in this enjoys a well earned break when his little sister finally falls asleep. We thoroughly enjoyed this little book with it's fabulous illustrations that are big, bright and imaginative! We loved going on this action packed journey alongside the brother and sister, we will easily return to this world again and again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12