Profile for Shauny-pie > Reviews

Content by Shauny-pie

Shauny-pie (UK)

ITV Hub
ITV Hub

4.0 out of 5 stars I am really pleased to have this application available on my Amazon Fire ..., 5 Mar. 2016
This review is from: ITV Hub (App)
I am really pleased to have this application available on my Amazon Fire Stick. More like this is definitely better.

A Thousand Suns
A Thousand Suns
by Alex Scarrow

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy his style of writing so went for this book ..., 14 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Thousand Suns (Paperback)
I first read the authors 'Last Light' and 'AfterLight'. I enjoy his style of writing so went for this book also. I did enjoy the read, and interesting as to what could have been.

Sennheiser PC350 G4ME Corded Gaming Noise Cancelling Stereo Headset - Black/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for PC gaming, 1 Jun. 2012
I use to have a pair of Sennheiser a few years back, changed to other headsets like Plantronics 777 but they simply were not as good.

With these Sennheisers, the aureal sound positioning in games like Battlefield 3 and Left 4 Dead 1&2 are great. I use a Creative X-Fi sound card (which a few years back was the best).

The very first test I did with these (due to the lack of surround sound type effects on other headphones) was on a map in Battlefield 3. I went on Metro underground in a battle stood still and did a few 360 turns. The surround sound did pan around and appear to position correctly so I could tell where it was coming from - fantastic!

I also notice a lot more ambient sound that gives layering to the different effects that are in games that I had not even heard before. Expensive but you only live once, go for it!

Panasonic TX-L37V10B 37-Inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freesat HD & Viera Cast

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture but with Fixable Chronic Sound Problem!, 3 Oct. 2009
Ok - like so many people I decided to upgrade (from an excellent Phillips 32" CRT) to an LCD, and after months of deliberating I decided to go for this slightly more expensive model.

To keep it short, and in line with the other reviewers here, the image quality is simply excellent, both in SD and in HD. The built in freesat and freeview work very well (after you get over the Viera software quirkiness with the menu. like how much space the left side takes up and the channel select confirmation every time you navigate and select via the menu system).

Oodles of other features that will keep you busy for a while.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, there is a chronic sound problem with this model THAT IS FIXABLE. I will describe the problem first and then the remedy.

It seems at certain frequency transmissions or on higher volumes the plastic casing seems to resonate which causes the sound to distort and it is rather annoying, especially as it is an expensive TV unit. I was genuinely horrified when I turned it on and flipped through a few channels and the sound was basically terrible i.e. distorted by the vibration of the back panel.

To make this better whilst you wait for the real fix, go into sound, turn down the Volume Correction quite a bit until it is almost off, adjust the bass and treble down a bit and then you have to turn the volume up quite a bit to get loud sound, but it helps reduce the distortion. THIS IS A TEMPORARY FIX!

Now, I sent Panasonic UK an e-mail describing the issue, and after a couple of weeks they contacted me with an explanation that a physical fix has been identified by Panasonic and to contact your local Panasonic support centre, which is listed on their UK web-site. I did this and the guy came round and fixed it unded warranty - no problems at all and he did a great job.

The fix itself was to completely remove the back panel and fit some special foam padding designed for these tye of speakers, so when the back panel was re-attached it was squashed into the foam slightly and hence all vibration generated is absorbed and no stupid distortion.

This was done a week back now and I am so pleased because I can have the TV up pretty much as loud as I want with the Volume Correction, bass and treble turned back up with no distortion - woo-hoo!

So the upshot is this - before the fix was in place I would have awarded quite simply a 1 star, because spending this sort of money and having poor sound from Panasonic is not acceptable. Aftr the fix I can honestly award a 5 star because I am now very pleased, although Panasonic should really have caught this in their Quality Control before shipping the units commercially!

Anyone experiencing this problem should definitely contact your local Panasonic dealer and get it fixed - you will be so pleased!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 10:07 AM GMT

Panasonic SC-BT200EB-K Blu-ray Disc 5.1 ch Home Cinema System
Panasonic SC-BT200EB-K Blu-ray Disc 5.1 ch Home Cinema System

5.0 out of 5 stars Paired With TX-L37V10 - Very Good Indeed!, 12 Aug. 2009
My system spec now is:
Panasonic TX-L37V10 (100,000:1 contrast ratio versus 50,000:1 for the G15 model)
Panasonic DRM-EX85 250Gb DVD/Hard disk recorder
Panasonic SC BT200 Blu-ray suround sound

The TV is excellent apart from the sound (apparently like all flat-tv's). The plan was always to pair it up with some sort of surround sound and this is the one I went for after looking at separates and other all-in-one solutions. After setting up the Blu-ray and trying out a few DVD's I wass extremely impressed. As the other reviewers here have stated, the sound quality and loudness is extremely good. There are ever things in DVD's I have never heard before!

Things to watch for:
The remote for my Blu-ray worked for both DVD players! Using it would operate both of them (annoyingly!). You can change the signal setting the DVD/BLU-ray recieves from the remote so they are different - it's described in the troubleshooting section, so change it and there will be no problem with it.
Yes - turn the bass down one or two levels - it is very deep by default (unless you like it that way!).
Panasonic - please speed up your firmware via a software update, because it is too slow at starting up and reading disks. Not that it is very slow, just a bit too slow if you know what I mean!

There are quite a few reviews coming out now for the SC-BT200 and they are all favourable. I would tend to agree with them in my humble opinion. If you fancy this system, you most likely won't be disappointed - do it!

Thanks previous reviewers. Your input helped me decide to select this model ;)

UPDATE: Definitely update your software on the Blu ray player. Basically you go to the Panasonic support site, select the player and download the image file. Just follow the instructions exactly and away it goes for half an hour or so. Sorry I cannot post the link because Amazon seem to have filters to stop competitor links being entered, but persevere with it because it is worth it.
The latest version details from the Panasonic Global Support site are:

Stardust [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Michelle Pfeiffer
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly uplifting - classic movie, 3 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Stardust [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
All I can say is watch this movie with no idea what to expect. I did, and came away elated. Definitely 5 stars.