Profile for Tony T > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Seconds Are Acorns
Seconds Are Acorns

2.0 out of 5 stars Aww, what a letdown!, 13 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Seconds Are Acorns (Audio CD)
I am such a huge fan of Adem but this one is a bit of a dud, lacking the unique, surprising, beautiful and quirky approach to composition that has made me such an admirer. At times it sounds like Simple Minds vs. U2, strangely enough, from a decade or two ago! I expected much more. If you haven't already, go and get Homesongs or Love and Other Plants and forget about this one. No doubt I will come back to Seconds Are Acorns at some point to make sure I haven't missed something wonderful but I can't think of any reason to do that soon!

Songlines Music Awards 2015 [Amazon Exclusive]
Songlines Music Awards 2015 [Amazon Exclusive]
Offered by MA Music, Leisure & Travel Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Another let down in a disappointing series, 13 Jun. 2016
Hugely disappointing collection (even more so that usual from Songlines). With the range of fab music around the world, how come they seem unable to come up with anything but these bland collections? Charlie Gillett looks down in disappointed wonder!

Carrie & Lowell
Carrie & Lowell

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not there (yet?), 25 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Carrie & Lowell (Audio CD)
A thoroughly laudable personal and intimate work that comes straight from the heart of this great musician and songwriter. Its monotone quality, however, doesn't really speak too much to me. It could be a failure of empathy on my part but I think to get this album you need to be Sufjan Stevens, as the minutiae of the lyrics leaves me lost, standing outside, listening through the door to a man having a real heart to heart with his therapist or family or god, or whatever!

OXO Good Grips Gravy/Fat Separator, 500 ml
OXO Good Grips Gravy/Fat Separator, 500 ml
Offered by Mobility Choices

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well indeed, 25 Feb. 2016
Simple and effective fat free gravy. Don't know why I didn't get one years ago. Only gripe, I think I need a bigger one!

St. Vincent
St. Vincent

3.0 out of 5 stars I shrug my shoulders, 25 Feb. 2016
This review is from: St. Vincent (Audio CD)
Contrived and overcooked, I preferred her stripped down and less devoted to style over content. It's like a restaurant that covers every type of cuisine currently in vogue without being particularly great at any of them.

'64-'95
'64-'95
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars So much to love., 25 Feb. 2016
This review is from: '64-'95 (Audio CD)
I like all their stuff but this is my favourite Lemon Jelly. Lyrical, pounding, groovy, raw, slick, it's all there. If you like the Jelly but it can be a bit schmaltzy if taken in large doses, then this is all for you. I missed this first time round and don't know how I survived without it!

In the heart of the moon
In the heart of the moon

5.0 out of 5 stars Take me away to the heart of the Moon., 25 Feb. 2016
I could listen to this over and over and over. The excellence of the performers is right there for us all to hear and the warmth of their music transports me in space and time and to a place I would be happy to spend the rest of my days in, kicking back, gently dreaming. The track 'Gomni' alone would make every penny of this purchase worthwhile. It's not quite Savane but I'd hate to have to live on the difference!

In Each and Every One
In Each and Every One

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't live in that street, but I live nearby., 25 Feb. 2016
This review is from: In Each and Every One (Audio CD)
Not what I had hoped for, this album is a bit of a ramble through hill, dale, meadow, bog and the thick forest of an overcast, late winter soundscape, with the odd bit of sun breaking through. The sort of walk you know was thoroughly worthy and invigorating but to be honest, was too much hard work to be fun and not a hostelry along the way for a bit of respite, a pie and a pint. There are moments.......but then they're gone. Trust me, it's not that I am in thrall to the structure and control of a well-rounded composition (a 'tune', if you like) but this album is just too much about the atmosphere, too much a film score for me. I'll wait a while and take my next ramble in the spring.

King Size Dub ...Crucial Recordings In The Name Of
King Size Dub ...Crucial Recordings In The Name Of

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Syndicate, 9 Oct. 2015
Very few fillers here just a load of really top dubs. Reminds me how feckin great the Syndicate is.

Fascinating Fingers
Fascinating Fingers

3.0 out of 5 stars So so, 9 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Fascinating Fingers (Audio CD)
Messing around with little real substance but still some very good moments. Take a listen before you buy to see if it is up your street.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5