Profile for S. Greig > Reviews

Hozelock Aquastop Connector
Hozelock Aquastop Connector
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it does, 28 Jun 2014
Does what it does. I wish I had invented it as it so simple but it works! Bought a replacement as my existing one must have got damaged over bit by bit leaving it outside over the winter for the past 6 years.

Targus Geo Gibson Messenger Bag for 15.6 inch Laptop - Grey
Targus Geo Gibson Messenger Bag for 15.6 inch Laptop - Grey
Price: 40.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm not quite what I was expecting, 28 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this as a potential replacement to my current bag that holds a 13" Macbook Air, paper notebook, iPad and the various cables and chargers you need to carry around with you these days when commuting.

First thing to say is that it looks a lot more stylish in the photo that it does for real. When it arrived I was quite disappointed with the style and colour. I can't put my finger on what it was but to my eyes it just looks unfashionable.

Size wise it is certainly big enough for a full size laptop and all the bits and it swallowed all my stuff with ease with loads of room to spare. It is too big for my commute on South West Trains so I gave it to my wife to act as a storage bag.

Sanyo Eneloop AA 8 Pack Batteries 2000mAh
Sanyo Eneloop AA 8 Pack Batteries 2000mAh
Offered by iCell Media
Price: 14.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Use in a Canon Flash, 28 Jun 2014
I did some research and it seemed that these are THE rechargeables to get for off camera flash units. I bought a couple of packets and so far I am amazed how long they last between charges. I have spent time on shoots with the flash being used on full power for an hour or so and they are still going strong and recycling pretty quickly. Definitely the right ones to get!

Sky+HD Remote Control sealed in Official Sky Branded Retail Packaging, including Duracell Batteries and Manual - SKY120
Price: 20.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked perfectly out of the box, 28 Jun 2014
Got this to replacde my original remote as the buttons were getting quite unresponsive. There seemed to be a few cheaper, perhaps less authentic Sky remotes on Amazon but I plumped for this one and have been using it for about 2 months with no bother at all. Get this one.

The Gro Company Wall Stickers Jolly Jungle
The Gro Company Wall Stickers Jolly Jungle
Price: 11.90

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 28 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We got these to decorate the room for our child to be. They are easy to apply and you can reposition them if you don't press down to firmly at first. They are bright and colourful and we like the design. My only comment would be that I thought they would be much bigger than they are.

SanDisk 64GB SanDisk Ultra miniDrive
SanDisk 64GB SanDisk Ultra miniDrive
Price: 54.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite fit a 2011 MacBook Air, 17 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is simply a caddy for a 64GB ultra micro SD card (included) to create an adapter to allow a micro SD card to be used with a MacBook computer's SD card slot. I used it with a 2011 13" MacBook Air and it doesn't quite fit :-(

It goes into the computer but does not sit flush with the side if the computer. The photos show it sitting flush so presumably that is a MacBook Pro in the photo. It is also has a pull tab that is black with red writing so is very obvious when stuck into the side of the computer.

I do like the way the micro SD card is removable so that you can swap out the flash storage for another one if need be.

I have used a Nifty Drive caddy for the past year (I got mine from Kickstarter but they are now sold in Apple stores) and compared to the Nifty Drive the SanDisk has the handy tab but the black and red colouring does not really work with the silver MacBook casing. Nifty Drive wins by being the same colour as the MacBook and so less noticeable even though the SanDisk does not need a special tool (or paperclip) to remove it.

The caddy does not fit in an iMac (it isn't advertised that it can but I tried it anyway) so you can't even use it for copying large files quickly but if you have an SD card adapter you can remove the micro SD card from the caddy and put it into the adapter.

One thing to point out also is that when you have an external flash drive installed in a MacBook it stops it going into deep sleep mode (the hibernate mode it enters after 2 hours asleep that stops it using the battery). This means that the laptop battery will be slowly draining all of the time. Not a problem if you use the laptop every day though. This is an issue with any flash card and affects both the Nifty and the SanDisk.

There is a workaround if you google "atpeaz automatically eject external disks".

Sony PJ530E Full HD Camcorder with Built In Projector - Black
Sony PJ530E Full HD Camcorder with Built In Projector - Black
Price: 464.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - make sure you order an SD card!, 7 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am mostly used to using my iPad or iPhone for taking videos so I was looking for something significantly better than these to warrant carrying another device with me whilst out and about.

Pros:

* Handy small size and light - 374g on the kitchen scales with battery and SD card

* Projector is very handy addition for quick previews

* Image stabilisation is really good

* 30x optical zoom is good

* Was able to plug straight into my Macbook and import movies into iMovie without installing any extra software (via USB)

* About 2 hours of battery on a full charge

* Dead easy to use (touchscreen fiddlyness aside). I didn’t bother with the manual and was up and running very quickly.

* I like the wifi option where you can get access to the images and videos wirelessly from you phone or tablet and share on the web - though on iOS devices you have to go through the hassle of adding the camera to the same wifi your phone is on (it doesn’t work on public wifi where you have to fill in a web form)

Cons:

* The user interface is a bit clunky if you are used to smartphone/tablet videos

* The touchscreen is a bit hard to use and inaccurate (especially clicking the OK button in the top left)

* The camera doesn't ship with an SD card and should be clearer in the details

* The camera also doesn’t ship with a USB cable for connecting to a computer - the camera has wireless

* I love the built in USB cable that tidily tucks into the carry strap but it only charges the battery rather than allows access to the SD card data. It would be better if it could also access the contents of the memory card without needing to carry additional cables.

* Digital zoom is poor (esp in low light)

The image quality is good and the image stabilisation is amazing. 5.1 audio is good but I was unable to test as I don’t have an 5.1 setup. The projector is a bit of a gimmick to be honest (but does have a bit of a wow factor when showing it off) and I would have liked it to have had a built in USB data cable to make it easier to get hold of the videos on a computer whilst out and about.

Despite the negatives this is a really good HD camera for the price. If I know I am going somewhere where I will be taking a video then I will deffo bring this camera as it is better than a smartphone or tablet.

Bose  FreeStyle Earbuds - Ice Blue
Bose FreeStyle Earbuds - Ice Blue
Price: 114.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good. Note are not sound isolating, 25 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have spent the last 2 years trying to find the perfect ear bud commuting headphones with an iPhone mic and was excited to try out the Bose. As I write this review I am comparing with my other two pairs of headphones:
(1) RHA MA600i - major quality problems as had 4 replacements in 6 months due to mic interference, they don't stay in ears when walking with any of the supplied tips, they do offer reasonable sound and good isolation though;
(2) Sennheiser MM70i - Great sound but has an annoying round the back of the head cable arrangement and the cable is about 5cm too short to have the phone in your pocket whilst walking without it tugging a little. Good isolation and they stay in my ears though.

So how does the Bose compare?

As you would expect/assume the sound quality is great when in a quiet environment. However there is no sound isolation so ambient noise is still very evident. Whilst on the train to work I could hear the train air conditioning fan and people talking near me. I could even hear the sound leakage from the headphones used by the person sitting next to me.

There is also sound leakage from these Bose headphones that is not evident on the other two pairs. This makes me slightly self conscious wearing the earphones in the office.

The 'stay hear' headphone clips on the Bose are by far the best clips for keeping the earphones in position that I have used. Even whilst walking and presumably the gym. I say presumably because I wouldn't wear them to the gym because the lack of sound isolation means I wouldn't be able to drown out the gym's own speakers. The clips are very comfortable and I can wear the headphones for many many hours with no discomfort (unlike the RHAs which make my ears itch!). I had to experiment a bit with the positioning as they sound a tiny bit weak on the bass but I am no audiophile so it may just be me.

Other minor points:

* The carry case is twice the size it needs to be and easily the largest of the three cases I now own
* The 'fun' colour scheme of blue, white and red is awful looking to my 40 something eyes!

So in conclusion, I am still looking for the perfect commuting headphones and have gone back to the Sennheisers for travelling to work. However, sitting in a quiet room and relaxing to some great music the Bose are now my number 1 choice of ear phones.

Alpen Berries Trail Bar 48g (Pack of 12 bars)
Alpen Berries Trail Bar 48g (Pack of 12 bars)
Price: 8.17

2.0 out of 5 stars Fruity cardboard, 8 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The is an oat based bar so I was expecting a variation of a flapjack or at least something with some flavour. Unfortunately I found the bars a bit too dry and overly tasting of artificial sweetened berries. Not quite as bad as a mini weetabix with a cranberry on top but not far off!

World War Z
World War Z
Price: 2.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good concept, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
This book is written as a series of eye witness accounts of a terrible war that ended 10 years earlier. The stories are scarily realistic sounding and form a very different kind of zombie book. A great read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8