Profile for N. Cronin > Reviews

Content by N. Cronin

N. Cronin "Nick" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
G-Shock G-7710-1ER Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial - Digital Display and Black Resin Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Need A Tough Watch?, 18 Nov. 2014
I'm a marine engineer, I work in the engine room on a ship. I got myself one of these watches in July 2008 and only now am I looking at getting a replacement. Over the last five plus years it's been exposed to fresh water, sea water, engine oil, hydraulic oil, diesel, the general abuse and god knows what else that comes with wearing it whilst working in an engine room. It's performed flawlessly, never even had to change the battery or the strap - although the strap is starting to signs of crazing now and has definitely seen better days.

If you work in a harsh environment and need a watch that can stand up to the abuse then you can't go wrong with this one.

Empire of the Clouds: When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World
Empire of the Clouds: When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Insight Into British Post War Aviation, 7 Feb. 2014
There aren't many books which deal with the sad, but perhaps inevitable decline of the British aviation industry post-WW2. This one is a very good place to start. It doesn't have the kind of technical detail or minutiae that would leave the casual reader bored and bewildered.

The author focuses a lot on his childhood hero Bill Waterton at Gloster, and there are some passages where the author relates his childhood growing up in 1950's Britain which some might consider superfluous to the subject of the book. By the author's own admission he spends a lot of time talking about military types and not enough time talking about civil types. The Comet is of course covered, but the author barely touches on other significant types like the BAC 1-11, Trident and VC10.

The story the book tells is both stirring and sad - how Britain went from world leader to has been in the space of a generation. Technical and creative genius eclipsed by politics, mismanagement, lack of foresight and ultimately buried by the austerity faced by post war Britain and the industrial might of the US. The author's story of the decline of British aviation during this period could perhaps be seen as a facet of the wider decline of British power and influence.

As a British aviation enthusiast I find this book and the story it tells very poignant and the thought that Britain will never again return to its former prominence and glory very sad. However, the story of the achievements of the pilots, designers and engineers is also quite uplifting and leaves me feeling proud of our aviation heritage and perhaps hopeful that the spark of genius and excellence still exists in this country.

Wings on My Sleeve: The World's Greatest Test Pilot tells his story
Wings on My Sleeve: The World's Greatest Test Pilot tells his story

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read For The Aviation Enthusiast, 7 Feb. 2014
Eric Brown needs no introduction, the man is quite simply a legend in aviation.

This book was a thoroughly enjoyable read from start to finish, well paced, well written and full of interesting stories and information.

Highly recommended for any aviation enthusiast.

RIO BLACK LUXURY RECLINING EXECUTIVE HIGH BACK OFFICE DESK CHAIR FAUX LEATHER SWIVEL

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good For The Price, 7 Feb. 2014
This won't blow your socks off, but it's a decent office chair for the price (I paid £85).

The weak point of this type of chair is the air cylinder. The seals often fail after a while and the chair drops down to its lowest height when sat on. After three months of heavy use the air cylinder on my one is still good. It's pretty sturdy and by no means uncomfortable.

There are much nicer office chairs available, but then again they are all considerably more expensive than this one. Not a bad buy at all if you're looking for a half decent office chair under £100.

IBRA® 2m High Speed PRO GOLD RED v2.0/1.4a HDMI Cable 3D 2160p PS4 SKY HD 4K Ultra HD(Version 2.0, 18Gbps, ARC)
Offered by Hd Zone

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough and Durable, 7 Feb. 2014
I bought this cable as it has a very tough braid protecting the insulation. I have a pet parrot who sometimes decides its fun to chew through wires and he makes very short work of the likes of an HDMI cable. This one has thus far proven too tough for my secateur with wings to chew through.

A good buy for those who for whatever reason need something a little more durable than a cheaper HDMI cable.

Vax U90-MA-R Air Reach Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Vax U90-MA-R Air Reach Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Vacuum Cleaner, 7 Feb. 2014
I can only echo what others have said - this is an excellent vacuum cleaner for the price.

It's relatively small, light, easy to move around. It's doesn't make too much noise. The power cable is nice and long. The dust container is very easy to remove and empty. Most importantly it picks up a hell of a lot. My wife has very long hair, quite a bit of which comes out when she brushes it and it gets trodden into the carpet. My old vacuum cleaner wouldn't shift the hair, but this one quite literally powered through it and I was amazed at how much of her hair was picked up (so was my wife!).

I've got no real criticisms of it right now. It would have perhaps been better if you could completely remove the roller brush for cleaning. As it stands you can only remove the transparent cover on top and clean it in situ. The long cable can get in the way when you are using it, but then again pretty much all vacuum cleaners suffer from this problem.

Bottom line is there's no need to spend hundreds of pounds on a Dyson when you can get excellent performance from this machine at much lower price.

SimCity  [Online Game Code]
SimCity [Online Game Code]

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware - Problems With Origin, 31 Jan. 2014
Purchased this, entered the serial number into my Origin account and the game appeared in "My Games". I downloaded and when I started the game I got a message "This game has not been activated on your Origin Account". I spent some time with EA's live online help twice now and they can't get the game working for me - it's a glitch at EA's end. Do a quick Google and you'll find plenty of other people having exactly the same problem.

Money wasted.

HyperX 4GB 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 Memory Kit - Red
HyperX 4GB 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 Memory Kit - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Price, 31 Jan. 2014
I've had three of these in my computer since early December. I've had no problems at all with them and the price is very good.

Asus PB278Q 27-inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (2560x1440, 5ms, VGA, DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Display, 31 Jan. 2014
Had mine for a week now and am very happy with it. Out of the box the display is far too bright and harsh, so I strongly advice you use a monitor calibration tool to get things looking as they should. Picture quality is excellent, no dead pixels, good build quality. The semi-matt screen is perfect for use both day and night with no glare present. Blacks are as good as any I've seen on an LCD display. I moved up to this display from a 27" 1920x1200 and the increase in resolution is very nice, hooked up to a powerful graphics card you'll find games look great on this display.

I was advised to go for one of the cheap Korean 2560x1440 IPS displays available on Ebay. Many of these displays are so cheap because the panels were rejected by the quality control of the big manufacturers and the build quality reflects the price. I'm glad I paid the extra and got a properly branded display I wouldn't be disappointed with.

Caiques (Complete Pet Owner's Manual)
Caiques (Complete Pet Owner's Manual)
by M. Gorman

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad For The Price, 31 Jan. 2014
Not a bad book at all if you are thinking of getting a Caique, but to be fair pretty much all the information in this book relating to Caique behaviour and care can be found online on various websites.

Page: 1 | 2