Profile for LOUISA BLACK > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
L.G Harris 430 9-inch Easy Reach Roller
L.G Harris 430 9-inch Easy Reach Roller

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace, 28 April 2015
This made life soooo much easier and more pleasant to paint. Reduced the time significantly with coverage and great application. This rinses out very well and we were able to use three different colors using just one roller.

Bathroom Wooden Heart Plaque
Bathroom Wooden Heart Plaque
Offered by Little Rooster Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely added touch, 28 April 2015
Lovely beach effect and looks much better than the picture. Would recommend to others:)

Dulux Silk 6 Litre Smooth and Creamy Emulsion Paint for Use on Walls/Ceilings - Pure Brilliant White
Offered by KA$H-DISCOUNT-HOMESTORE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 28 April 2015
Fantastic job, if I do say so myself:)) However back to the paint. Great coverage but needed two coats. x

Keep It Shut: What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Say Nothing at All
Keep It Shut: What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Say Nothing at All

5.0 out of 5 stars Say what?!!!!, 28 April 2015
Excellent book.

I've spent my whole teens and early twenties yakking away about everything and nothing. I then spend a serious amount of time in my late twenties regretting EVERY single word uttered that I should not have said, not only did I have regrets but shed a few tears.

How wonderful it was to read a book by an author that was more honest and open than I would have been [I would have been a coward to admit to some things] but ever so grateful to her as at the time it felt like I was the only one with 'foot in mouth' disease.
I can't tell you how much I identified with a lot of what she was saying and just felt relieved that there was someone writing about this topic that understood how I felt. I do love non-fiction books. Not to make me feel better but to feel as though I'm not alone.

This books provides great antidotes, reflections and way's to move forward and let go but not to repeat past mistakes. It is also a book that does not judge or condemn you but feels like sitting with a friend, a good one.

I'm glad to add, I learnt a lot through those early years, that in my early thirties now, I am no where near where I use to be but sadly nowhere near perfect, but I won't give up keeping my mouth shut and some opinions to myself.

As my Mum says 'If you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.'

The Ice Twins
The Ice Twins
by S. K. Tremayne

5.0 out of 5 stars More questions than answers!, 20 April 2015
This review is from: The Ice Twins (Hardcover)
Whatever you do, don't read this at night!

I've read many psychological thrillers that involve twins but nothing like this.

The story begins after one of the twins have died, but it starts to unravel slowly in the minds of the parents, which one actually died? Did they identify the right one?
The remaining twin begins this questions when she seems to switch personality, even the dog is different with the remaining twin.

The parents are falling to pieces and decide to move to a remote part of Scotland hoping for a new start instead they not only drift further apart but revelations concerning the death of the twin and the reason behind the death finally comes to light but not in the usual way one might expect secrets to tumble out. It is freaky.

Here's the thing, I bought this book for my Mum, who after reading, immediately gave it back and DEMANDED I read it.
The conversations over a cup of tea at the kitchen table, where all important conversations take place, began to spiral out of control!

This book will leave you perplexed. I do love it when a book leaves you with more questions than answers.
Is this the delusions of the mother in her grief?
Is it the ghost of her dead daughter, if so which one? Are you absolutely sure?
Have they identified the right twin that died? What twin would each rather have like to have survived? [horrifying questions]
Is this a psychosis of one or both parents?
What was the relationship between the twins and the parent who favoured one over the other really all about?
Is this all about conscious or plain guilt?

The 'surviving' twin was initially hard to like at all, what with all the I am Lydia or am I? By the end of the novel, your heart goes out to her. You understand her and why she is how she is portrayed.

This plays with your head because of the location. It is described so well and you are pulled into a setting that gives you the shivers and adds to the atmosphere of 'which twin am I?' The sweeping isolated landscape, the barren skies and the solitude were all needed to add to the background to build up the story.

I would say I was surprised by the ending.I didn't expect it but in a good way. I intend to read this again, it's too good not to!

Miracles: 32 True Stories
Miracles: 32 True Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Faith building x, 19 April 2015
I really enjoyed reading through this collection of inspiring stories of God's faithfulness and the power of miracles that are much alive today as they were 2000 years ago.
It's awesome to read and builds up your faith.

I love singing at the top of my lungs, [although other might not like it:)]the brilliant words within the Hillsong worship song 'The same power that conquered the grave lives in us.' This book inspires me to keep praying and keep believing. God works in the most mysterious ways and through/ in unexpected places as our family have encountered on more than one occasion and I'm sure many others reading this have to.

I love reading what God is doing in other brother and sister's lives out there, we need to read and tell these testimonies more than ever.

I would highly encourage anyone to read this book and especially those who are in need of refreshment or encouragement.x

Breaking the Silence
Breaking the Silence

5.0 out of 5 stars Never fails to move you.x, 10 April 2015
Well slap my thigh and call me sally... Diane Chamberlain has only gone and done it again!

Fount: Stories of Storms and Grace
Fount: Stories of Storms and Grace

5.0 out of 5 stars An eclectic mix, 7 April 2015
I know it's a cliche to say and apparently its not 'the' thing to write in review but I've never followed the rules anyway and going to say it, not only was this ruddy awesome but I really didn't want the book to end, really I didn't.

The opening story, FIXED, touched my heart... yes, strange but true I have one of those:)
The story was packed tightly with strong emotion that for such a short amount of words told so much more. I desperately wanted that story to carry on. I'm not one for romance... but that was so well told and played out.

IN THE CELLAR, freaked me out! It really doesn't take much. I jump at adverts advertising horror movies! A source of great amusement to my family and friends.
It was the build up where you thought you knew where it was heading, but it unfolded so differently than what I was expecting. I really don't want to meet any Lancasters, ever.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a short story fix and beyond. Why beyond? I love short stories that stay with you and I know these will.
I love the way they incorporated Christian themes and scripture in a way that was relevant. I would happily recommend this to my non-Christian friends and know they too would be touch by these stories but not preached at and the stories would make them go away and think about what you've read.

I'm keeping my GOODREADS eyes opening for these authors in the future!

Amy Inspired
Amy Inspired

5.0 out of 5 stars Passive but well worth the read x, 7 April 2015
This review is from: Amy Inspired (Kindle Edition)
There are no major scenes, epic fallouts or even the mother of all calamities to resolve within this novel.
This is just a mature story of a moment in a young woman's life where crossroads for a number of characters collide and life as you know it changes subtly.

Told from Amy's viewpoint, she struggles with her overbearing mother, who is just wonderful. An eccentric earth saving friend, Zoe, unable to write or get printed and men. Life basically.

It was a beautifully written yet I found it a little more on the passive side than an uplifting one.
I loved the characters and the relationships between each. Real, refreshing and engaging.
I often found myself nodding along, understanding and sharing the point of view of the main character.

Daily life was touched on in the telling of unrequited love, the hurt we cause, the lost and the pain we endure or those around us as we sometimes can only helplessly look on. It was described so well that you can identify with it as a reader.
As the book cascaded towards the end it was a perfect ending to an imperfect life in the world where Amy lived. A very satisfying ending.

I personally learnt a lot from the 'Christian' element/ viewpoint and how the writer, smartly, incorporated this into the book instead of it glaring and pointing the finger at you.
I found myself chuckling and amused at the thoughts of Amy and how true they were.

A great read on a rainy day.

The Return
The Return

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning descriptions, vivid imagery., 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Return (Kindle Edition)
This was a difficult book for me to rate.
It was either a 3 or 4 star so I went with the latter because if the author can evoke that sort of reaction then they had achieved something through their writing:)

I was immediately taken by the author's ability to describe a brand new world yet with the natural laws that make you understand this 'new' place.
I particularly loved the way she described the horses, the colours, the emotions of the rider and really wished we could have had a whole book on that aspect alone!
The descriptions were vivid, tangible and full of life from the pages. It really seems to be the author's strength to describe nature and the four legged variety.

However maybe it depends on the reader, but I just could not connect with the characters. That's why I struggled rating this.
The storyline is valid, the reasons for each character in the story is believable but I didn't 'care' for them as I normally would as a reader.
I'm not an ice maiden, quite the opposite, when I discover characters in stories and describe them to friends in 'reality' they think I am talking about an actual person! But I didn't feel any of the character carried enough weight for me to carry from the pages and care enough although the horses did- strange I know.

Overall this is a good story with great Christian elements in and scripture and you could understand the point the author was making but I didn't like the 'telepathic' aspects and new ageisms as mentioned by another reviewer. It didn't seem to have a place in the story, it was one thing to many. A new world, new heroes with their own laws and the Christian aspect as well... too confusing.

A book I would recommend fantasy lovers to try that is off the beaten track and is a unique voice in a market that is currently overwhelmed. x

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20