Profile for Purcey-Burce > Reviews

Content by Purcey-Burce

Purcey-Burce

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, cheapo crap you're just going to throw away. Don't bother., 14 Sep 2013
This thing arrived in packaging which was already opened and had been stapled back together. Not a good start. The light itself is poor, gives out next to no light, and takes up a lot of space on the handlebar. The rear light can't be switched off, only un-plugged, so you risk running the battery down if you forget. Disappointing. Build quality is poor not built to last. Bin fodder. Don't bother.

Thermos Stainless King Flask with Handle 1.2L Blue
Thermos Stainless King Flask with Handle 1.2L Blue
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy - does the job, good quality, built to last, shame it only has one cup, 14 Sep 2013
This does what it says on the tin, keeps things hot (or cold) for ages, and is quality built to last.

The only shame is, being that there's 1.2 litres, there's only one cup. Some flasks have two - a smaller one which fits into the main one which forms the lid. It would be nice to have a 2nd cup - if your drink is for two you have to remember to bring a 2nd cup or share the main cup. Otherwise, top buy, you won't be disappointed it's worth the extra cash compared with other flasks. It's stainless steel not glass inside so it will last.

The Yellow Birds
The Yellow Birds
by Kevin Powers
Price: 7.03

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-hyped. Some nice passages in places but generally - meh!, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Yellow Birds (Paperback)
I was given to expect something extraordinary with this book, but I found it pretty mediocre. There is much better war literature out there. There is some nice writing in places but the story doesn't really go anywhere, and I understand that that could be kind of the point, as in reflecting the pointlessness of war and so on, but in the end you feel a bit sort of let down after reading it, like "why did I bother!". The quality of his writing suggests he could do better, and perhaps an author to keep an eye on, but I'd pass over this one - doesn't live up to the hype.

Panasonic RP-HC700 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Panasonic RP-HC700 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Offered by total digital stores
Price: 104.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good! Happy with the headphones, good noise cancelling and decent sonics, 14 Sep 2013
OK, so I've never tried noise cancelling headphones before, seen the BOSE ones but balked at the price, read the reviews here and decided to go for these ones at about 1/3 of the price. Quite happy with my choice.

The noise cancelling circuit does add a very low-volume white noise, which you can almost imagine as a fast running stream or waterfall in the distance. It only cuts out low-frequency noise; the headphones rely on the over-ear padding to cut out high frequencies. I use them to cut out road traffic noise, and putting these on without the NC circuit on reduces the whooshing noise; adding the NC circuit noticably reduces the low rumble, so the combined effect is pretty good. OK I don't feel like I'm in the middle of open countryside with these on, but living close to two busy roads I find the road noise is dramatically and pleasantly reduced to a level which allows me to enter a nice quiet space when I need to. They're pretty comfortable too, maybe a little tight but I'm confident they'll loosen up over time. Music sounds good, and battery life is good, even with rechargeables.

I'd echo another reviewer's comments about being able to hear your own heartbeat with these on - which I guess some might not like but I quite like it.

So, all in all, quite happy with these. Worth a try from Amazon you can always return them within 7 days so just take care with the packaging while you're deciding whether to keep them or not.