Profile for coolforcats > Reviews

Charlotte Gray
Charlotte Gray
by Sebastian Faulks

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Faulks novel, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Charlotte Gray (Paperback)
I was surprised to see other reviews which don't rate Charlotte Gray very highly. Having read a number of his other books, I happened to pick up this one in a National Trust house the other week for 50p while on holiday. I don't know how it passed me by, as it's an excellent novel, very well-written and extremely moving. I liked the character of Charlotte instantly, and really liked the fact that Faulks had used a female protagonist (as a woman myself). I could tell that Faulks had thoroughly researched this novel. It's a shame the film isn't supposed to do justice to the book, but if you've seen the film and not read the book, don't let it put you off. I couldn't put this one down.

250ml Eco Friendly Multi Purpose Descaler
250ml Eco Friendly Multi Purpose Descaler
Offered by san direct

4.0 out of 5 stars This stuff really works!, 20 Mar 2013
I wanted an eco-friendly descaler that wouldn't harm the environment and this stuff really works. I live in a hard water area and despite using water filters the kettle gets limescale very quickly. The product removed the limescale within seconds. The bottle is good for up to 3 uses depending on what you need to descale (a third of a bottle is used to descale a kettle, for example). The only reason this misses out on 5 stars is because the childproof lid or the packaging could perhaps have been a bit better as when I went to open the bottle the descaler had leaked onto the neck of the bottle and burnt my fingers as a result, but shows just how strong it is!

Overall very good and I've just purchased another bottle.

Preparation H 3 Way Action Clear Gel for Sore Skin 50g
Preparation H 3 Way Action Clear Gel for Sore Skin 50g

2.0 out of 5 stars May work on others but not on me!, 27 Jan 2013
I had high hopes for this product particularly with the good reviews being in the majority. Unfortunately, this product didn't help at all; in fact, it seemed to make the itching worse - surprising when it contains witch hazel which is known for its soothing properties. Savlon seems to work much better. I'm sorry to say I won't be purchasing Preparation H again.

Philips AVENT SCF145/06 Bottle and Teat Brush
Philips AVENT SCF145/06 Bottle and Teat Brush
Offered by BabySecurity

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bottle brush, 25 Jan 2013
For the price this brush is good and cleans the bottles well, however I have to agree with another reviewer and say that it's not so good at cleaning the end of the teats - the corkscrew-style end of the brush is only plastic, no bristles, so isn't adequate for cleaning out milk residue from the teat. If Philips added some bristles to the end of the brush or came up with another way to clean deep inside the teats then I would give the product five stars. However, the brush is durable and very reasonably priced so for that reason have given it four stars. I'm not sure you can microwave the brush to sterilise it though - I'm sure it said on the packaging you can't put it in the microwave, contrary to another person's review.

Green and Black's Organic Hot Chocolate 300 g (Pack of 3)
Green and Black's Organic Hot Chocolate 300 g (Pack of 3)
Offered by Best4Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Best hot chocolate around!, 6 Jan 2013
This hot chocolate is definitely the best I've ever tasted. No other hot chocolate comes close. Most hot chocolate is too sweet and cloying - Cadbury's for example tastes full of sugar - but this one is by far the best. Not too sweet but just sweet enough. The instructions say to make it up entirely with milk but I find it tastes perfect by just adding a bit of milk to the powder then adding just boiled water and stirring.

MAM Start Soothers for 0 Months + with Sterilisable Travel Case (Green/White)
MAM Start Soothers for 0 Months + with Sterilisable Travel Case (Green/White)
Offered by shopkiya

4.0 out of 5 stars Great soothers, 28 Sep 2012
These soothers are great for a young baby. They have been really useful in stopping my son crying. The design is nice and baby has no problem getting them into his mouth. The box they come in is really handy and easy to sterilise. The only problem is that the soothers don't always stay in his mouth for long unless he falls asleep, but I think that's more to do with my son's inability to keep the soother in his mouth than the design! Overall I would recommend this product. I now need to look for more soothers past the age of 2 months as he is 9 weeks old and I presume these soothers will be too small for him soon.

A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R. R. Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise, 10 May 2012
Having read various negative reviews on Amazon, I didn't rush to get this book as I thought I would be disappointed. Well, I'm just coming to the end of the book now, having received it as a birthday present, and I have been pleasantly surprised. I have really enjoyed reading this book and I don't think Martin has lost any of his zest for the characters or his writing ability.

I can understand some of the criticisms of the book because I have had my own frustrations with the series. I think Martin likes to tease his readers a bit and not give them an easy time - it is a bit exasperating when you read the books and you're waiting for the characters to be reunited ... and you wait ... and you wait ... plus I agree with the comment by one reviewer that Martin doesn't seem to be in any hurry to reach a conclusion - sometimes I think that this series could continue for years without being resolved, but perhaps that's the plan all along. Also, I have wished with the previous books that some of the characters had an easier time - it can be very depressing when you're rooting for particular characters (the good guys!) but it seems that evil always triumphs. That's by the by though - after all, they're Martin's creations, why should he pander too much to the reader? It is also more refreshing than having too many happy resolutions. In the series, we don't get many resolutions, happy or otherwise.

With this book, Martin continues the story but states at the beginning that this book is meant to in part run parallel with the events of Book 4, while also progressing the story a bit. Some characters haven't returned - I won't say which to avoid spoilers - so some fans will feel frustrated by this, but I am hopeful they will return in Book 6. As for the others, well it's much the same as before. Any criticisms that Martin has lost the 'voice' of his characters in this book are, I think, unfounded. It was easy for me to slip back into his world even though it had been a while since I read Book 4. There aren't particularly any new, annoying characters (at least, the ones that are new don't get massive chunks of the book and it all works within the chronology). Good to see some old faces back too. In short, this is a good book and worth buying. I'm not sure how long Thrones fans will remain patient if the series continues in the same vein, characters not being reunited or revisited but for now, I'm continuing to invest in the series, and I trust that Martin will give us a satisfying next instalment in Book 6.

Medipaq® Skirt Trouser Jeans Button WAIST EXTENDERS x3 - Don't throw away those tight fitting clothes!
Offered by Medipaq® from Great Ideas™

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, needs bigger buttons!, 4 Feb 2012
I ordered this product because I wanted to extend my trousers before wearing maternity clothes. I had read a review of the same product in different colours which said that the buttons were too small but I thought I would order anyway. It's a great idea but I have also found the buttons are much too small to use in trousers. This was easily solved by cutting off the original buttons and sewing on bigger ones I already had, and the material is nice and stretchy so now they work well. However, I would say to the manufacturers that they really need to sew on bigger buttons as then they would have a five-star product!

Manicare Sleeping Mask
Manicare Sleeping Mask

2.0 out of 5 stars Adequate mask but not great quality, 29 May 2010
This mask is good enough to block out the light but the material is cheap and the elasticated band is thin and you aren't able to adjust the tightness of the mask very well. I made the mask as loose as it would go but after sleeping in it I found it a little tight and constricting. I didn't expect this mask to be perfect as it is quite a cheap one at the price, but I did expect the material and quality to be better, so I'm a bit disappointed. I suspect that the elasticated strap will break eventually and I'll have to invest in a better mask. Therefore I can't recommend this mask even at the cheap price.