Profile for Clare > Reviews

Precision Mains Powered LED Bedside Alarm Clock
Offered by Stuff Plus
Price: 16.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't keep time, 27 Oct 2013
Don't buy this clock! You can have mine instead, as it's only going in the bin. I was a little disappointed that it didn't have a 24 hour display as the information said, and that the more dim of the two brightness settings was still extremely bright, since these were the only two features I needed in my clock. But I thought I'd make do with it, and threw the box away. It hadn't occured to me to first check that the clock could keep time accurately - this one drifts. Also, the radio-controlled resetting of the clock doesn't work at all. I guess I should have read the reviews first.

Craig Charles Funk & Soul Club
Craig Charles Funk & Soul Club
Price: 9.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album!, 26 Nov 2012
I was very excited when I heard this was coming out, and managed to buy a copy at the Manchester album launch party. I'm already familiar with most of the songs from the Club nights, and I've been lucky enough to have caught The Excitements, Federation of the Disco Pimp, The Haggis Horns and Speedometer with Martha High live at these gigs over the last year or so (with other artists, like Smoove & Turrell and Lack of Afro, on my list of those I'm still desperate to see). The other songs I've heard played on the radio show.

I've only been listening to funk and soul music for a few years, so I won't say much about each track, and the clips from the full playlist are available to listen to here. I love the variety on the album, and I was really happy with the track choice for each of the artists. There are some amazing covers of classic funk songs, so it's hard to pick out my best tracks, but 'The Clap Hands Song' is my favourite to (attempt to) dance to, followed closely by 'Rocket Man', which appeals to the Red Dwarf fan in me. And Al Wilson's classic 'The Snake' is one of my all-time favourite songs, which I will never, ever tire of listening to. But there's not a single track on here I'd want to skip over.

Playing the album straight through, as I've done a few times now, really does capture the atmosphere and energy of the Club, and it's correctly advertised as a party album. It's a proper feel good CD, and I know I'll be playing this a lot! Especially in the car on the way to work, as that's when I most need to be reminded of the amazing weekends I've had. Even if you're not into clubbing, it's an excellent compilation of great quality music, so there can't be many people this won't appeal to. I really like the way the CD is presented too. The booklet has a good biography, the usual track info, some lovely photos, and a really sweet acknowledgements bit. I've read that this record is part of a three-album deal for Craig Charles, so I can't wait to see what else he brings out on the next one.