Profile for Jeff Walmsley > Reviews

Content by Jeff Walmsley
Top Reviewer Ranking: 846

Jeff Walmsley "JW" (Wales)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Multi-Use Power Heavy-Duty Tyre Inflator, Portable Air Compressors ,Air Pump Compressor Tire Inflator DC12V
Offered by XuanTai Trading

1.0 out of 5 stars BEFORE THE CONTROL VALVE ON THE TIGHT PLEASE GUARANTEE THAT THE TRACHEA THEN AS FAR AS POSSIBLE AIMS AT VALVE COCK…, 22 April 2016
I was offered this product for £1 in return for a review.

It comes with possibly the worst "Chinglish" Manual I have ever seen. It talks about, alarmingly, “the rupture of the trachea” and “radiation” (a nuclear powered pump, then ?), things called a”cry fastening”, a “socket cry”, and “the common” (as a noun). In addition to the quotation in the heading, it contains sentences like “Fitting whether to damage leaks air the pump to gasify slowly excessively:” This sentence appears under the heading “Barrier elimination”. Your guess is as good as mine. And for that matter, what is a “tire” ?

Under the heading “Caution”, we are told, “Note that the use of air before you cross under the ground, rather than holding in his hand.” I could quote more incomprehensible advice, but it’s all in the same vein; and I’ll have to take their word for it that, “the wondrous use is infinite”.

The reverse of this leaflet is printed in Chinese, and at the bottom of that page is a table of specifications, also in Chinese, which look as if they might be significant. But there is no way of knowing.

I can’t speak for others, but I consider such a careless, discourteous attitude to our beautiful language to be insulting, quite leaving aside the real dangers of providing incomprehensible instructions for use and, even worse, incomprehensible safety warnings. The crowning insult is the only sentence I understand, the first entry under the “Caution” heading, which reads, “Before using it, please read all instructions carefully”…

I have no time for importers who cannot be bothered to employ a native English speaker, or at least a fully fluent speaker, to write their manuals and instruction leaflets. Such an attitude to marketing is almost contemptuous, and deserves to fail.

I have no previous experience of this type of product, having been limited to foot pumps hitherto, and in these circumstances, I don’t consider it safe for me to attempt to use it. I’m certainly not going to use anything which threatens to rupture my trachea…

As an additional disincentive, apart from being rated at 150psi as compared to 140psi, this product appears to be identical to the product being sold on another page for only £14.99.

I fail to understand how the other recipients of £1 samples could have overlooked these matters. It certainly wasn't worth the £1 I paid - except insofar as it bought me the privilege of being able to sound off on a matter close to my heart
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2016 4:04 AM BST

Crops in Pots: 50 cool containers planted with fruit, vegetables and herbs
Crops in Pots: 50 cool containers planted with fruit, vegetables and herbs
by Bob Purnell

5.0 out of 5 stars THERE CAN SURELY BE NO BETTER GUIDE TO GROWING FOOD IN POTS., 21 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't grow vegetables at all, in pots or otherwise; but I do plant up 50 ornamental containers every year, and individual plant needs aside, the basic techniques for container growing are the same whatever you grow. I have a couple of dozen books on container growing, and there are few of them which I could honestly say were worth the money, the worst of the lot being those with a heavy "designer" orientation.

This, however, is a gem, by a dedicated professional gardener. Sensible, up-to-date advice on every aspect of container culture by someone who clearly knows his onions (smirk, smirk...). I haven't heard of this author before, but I note that his book was first published here in 2007, and is now reissued, and very deservedly so. If growing food in pots is what you want to do, you won't find a better guide than this.

Having looked up the author's website, I find he has an impressive CV, and has written another book on ornamental containers. I clicked "Buy" without another thought.

Scotch Permanent Mounting Squares - Pack of 1, 96 Squares
Scotch Permanent Mounting Squares - Pack of 1, 96 Squares

2.0 out of 5 stars AN UNNECESSARY PRODUCT ?, 15 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product seemed to me to have very limited usefulness. I cannot think of any situation within my house where I would want to stick something to the wall - or to anything else - so permanently that it can never be removed without leaving a lump of white sticking plastic on display. You might say that a picture hook, for example, is also a permanent thing, but you need to take down the picture or whatever from time to time to clean the cobwebs and dust from behind it - and you don't want to have to employ more pieces of sticking plastic every time you put it back - eventually leaving a whole patchwork of the stuff, which, come your next bout of decorating, will present you with irritating extra work...

A workshop, garage or garden shed might be a more appropriate location for its use, but even then I doubt if this product is superior in any way to one's own traditional hanging methods in such places. The only good thing I can say about it is that it does at least warn you on the packet of its disadvantages.

Rapesco P20 Shimma Half Strip Stapler uses Staples 26 and 24/6 mm with 20 Sheet Capacity - White

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT QUITE AS WELL-THOUGHT-OUT AS IT COULD HAVE BEEN; BUT CHEAP AND EFFICIENT NONETHELESS, 9 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My sturdy old Ofrex Anglia stapler is now at least 50 years old - and, I discover, thanks to being asked to review this one, has apparently become a collector's item, costing you £15 or so on Ebay; who would have thought it... However, I don't recommend your going there, especially if you value your long elegant fingernails - because loading the Ofrex can a risky job, especially for ladies with such.

By contrast, loading this one couldn't be easier or safer - perhaps all staplers work like this nowadays, but I wouldn't know because this is the first new one I've handled in 50 years. Otherwise, operationally it seems much the same. I agree with others that it's unimpressively light - especially to those of us used to the all-metal Ofrex, with its rubber base - but this doesn't affect its operation, which is highly efficient - and if a cheap, efficient stapler is what you need, you'd be home and dry with this one. It's also much quieter in use than its metal counterpart, and might therefore be marginally less of a burden to others around you if used for a long job.

However, efficiency and cheapness aren't necessarily all everybody wants - and an unforseen irritation factor might well make you wish you hadn't bought it; which is why I mark it down for its too-smooth plastic base. Accidentally swipe the significantly smaller, but heavier, rubber-based Ofrex and it just tips over; swipe the Rapesco likewise and it skims off my polished desk into space, who knows where... Not recommended for the clumsy with the cluttered desk, therefore.

In the flesh (or rather, in the plastic) the Rapesco looks even more elegant than in the web-page photo - except, that is, for the somewhat less-than-elegant brand logo on one side, which is quite out of keeping with the elegant lines. Thus, the design-conscious aesthete might also be less than impressed.

Finally, I agree with others about the pretty pointless ownership label on the underside; at least they could have stuck down the white label ! although if you find colleagues regularly nick your desk furniture, you could easily decorate the white top with your own logo in indelible marker - or, as used to happen, I recall, bright red nail varnish.

3M 9914 Speciality Series Particulate Respirator - White (2-Piece)
3M 9914 Speciality Series Particulate Respirator - White (2-Piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FOURTH ANTI-ALLERGY MEASURE I'VE TRIED AND THE BEST ALL-ROUNDER SO FAR, 9 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Since discovering that my chronic sinusitis may be exacerbated by the fungal spores in my greenhouse, I've been trying out several respirators, from the very cheapest at 15p each, to the £20 half-face rubber type with the huge, twin filter pads resembling fly-eyes. Unfortunately for the efficiency of these items, I have a small beard, and one is invariably told that these masks are unsuitable in such circumstances. However, I am determined that my beard, small and unimpressive though it may be, will not be sacrificed, and have been searching for the best compromise.

The cheapest, from Singapore, were a washout, the fit being far too patchy everywhere, not just over the beard; the next I bought was the £20 job, which, unsurprisingly, gives the best fit of all, but, no doubt because of that, is the most uncomfortable to wear, and invariably causes a premature termination of labour. The third type I tried was another, presumably earlier, incarnation of the type under review, and proved not only far superior to the 15p mask, but comfortable enough to wear for long periods - but I didn't find the fit over the bridge of the nose especially close, despite a claimed ability to mould it to one's shape.

However, that fault has been fixed here, and it's not only just as comfortable as its predecessor, but a better fit - the reason being the provision of a soft metal strip across the upper part which fits to the nose, ensuring that it can indeed be moulded pretty closely to your personal conk-shape. They are also cheaper. Compared to all the others I have tried, therefore, they are the best all-rounder so far, hence my five stars. Apart from the cheapo types, all are made by 3M (in the UK, I notice - nice change) who seem to have cornered the market here.

Please note, I wouldn't presume to comment on the efficiency of these in an industrial environment.

Figure Drawing: Design and Invention
Figure Drawing: Design and Invention
by Michael Hampton
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A MASTERLY CLASSIC OF ITS KIND - NOW IN ITS SIXTH EDITION, 7 April 2016
This book may seem expensive in the ordinary run of how-to-do-it figure-drawing books, but it's not - because it's far from ordinary - and worth every penny. Apart from the fact that he teaches life drawing and anatomy, the author modestly tells us nothing about himself anywhere in the book, nor on Amazon's author page, or even on his own excellent website, [...] (a vast resource to supplement the book).

Nevertheless, masterly is how I would categorise it, even more so, perhaps, because it's self-published by the author. Some self-published works are very run-of-the-mill and cheaply produced; not this. I should have thought that any publisher would die to have this in his list, and if any refused it prior to the author's venture, they are probably kicking themselves. It's also worth noting that it's printed on top-quality heavyweight semi-gloss paper and sturdily bound. In fact everything about it is top marque, including layout and design, which the author appears to have contracted out to another very capable artist. I find to my surprise that it was originally published 7 years ago (how did I miss it ?) - but far less surprised to find that it is now in its sixth edition.

Anatomy is often regarded as a difficult subject for artists, who may consider it less essential if they are always going to have a model sitting in front of them - but if you want to "design people" - for whatever of the many purposes of this practice (almost an industry) nowadays - essential it certainly is. This book will teach you how to competently design totally convincing people of every kind, engaged in every kind of activity, as well as making your life-drawing class an absolute breeze. The book goes much further however, for as the author rightly declares, learning to draw the figure teaches wide-ranging artistic principles applicable in virtually all fine art.

If you were hesitating about buying this book because of its cost, hesitate no more; but be prepared for some hard work to extract its full benefit; but then, anything truly worthwhile rarely comes easily...

Sealey SPB80T 80Kg Broadcast Spreader Tow Behind
Sealey SPB80T 80Kg Broadcast Spreader Tow Behind

2.0 out of 5 stars INCONVENIENT BORDERING ON THE IMPRACTICAL FOR USE WITH RIDE-ON MOWERS IN AN ORNAMENTAL GARDEN, 6 April 2016
One is right to be dubious about these lightweight, cheap spreaders; too much is often sacrificed in the interests of cost-shaving; and whilst I was initially moderately pleased with this one, after a couple of weeks use, I am less than pleased...

If you are using it behind a ride-on mower, you won't be able to reach the control handle from the seat; so you'll have to get on and off when operating the flow-gate, which is a pain. Or, like me, you could make a gadget out of a broom handle for the job, but it's far from perfect, and hard to operate - closing it requires a very hard push to engage the lock, otherwise it springs back to its open position - easy when you're standing next to it, but less so with a pole and a hook from a distance, not to mention the inconvenience of having to carry the pole round with you.

This method is also not conducive to sensitive handling of the control lever. Rather worse, therefore, is the fact that the wingnut and bolt which hold the in its appropriate operating position (from wide open to nearly closed) have insufficient grip when tightened as much as is possible by hand - as is the intention - despite an anti-vibration washer on one side. Pulling on my makeshift lever-pulling gadget, it easily dislodged the tight-as-possible setting lever, moving it, quite unbeknownst to me, from the nearly closed mark to the fully open - dumping 22kg of fertiliser on an area requiring a third of that.

If, on the other hand, I forswear my now-dangerous gadget, and open the lever whilst the spreader is stationary I will have to accept a patch of burnt grass and a lot of wasted fertiliser; and the same will happen if I stop before the hopper is empty (and there's no way of knowing when that happens, which is another big problem).

It appears to share these deficiencies with other domestic alternatives, but from the illustration, the 57kg version looks as if it might be better designed in this regard. It would have been a very simple matter to design a control level with positive slots to retain it in the desired position, and no more costly than the present hopeless arrangement. One has the feeling that those who designed this made no effort to try it out under all possible circumstances before dumping it on the market. Adequate for a horse paddock, therefore, but wholly inappropriate for an ornamental garden.

It took two hours to assemble, and not everything fitted quite as it should initially, which is pretty much par for the course with these self-assembly units, but it eventually went together correctly, and, aside from the above, worked smoothly. It has big, robust wheels, and everything else seems sturdy enough. The drive is not enclosed as on some more expensive models, and will need the protection of regular greasing to work efficiently and prevent corrosion. It came with a black rather than a red hopper.

The coverage, spreader settings and spreading width charts supplied with the manual are expressed in pounds per square yard - indicating its US origin - and quite useless even apart from that. The spread chart is particularly inept, being graded for "small, medium and large" particle sizes. These are not particle sizes... Bags of fertiliser are marked with particle size in millimetres for a good reason. No distinction is made between performance with grit, seed, fertiliser or weedkiller. Because of these deficiencies, I would never use it with weed'n feed (which I don't like anyway).

WoodyKnows Ultra Breathable Nose / Nasal Filters (New Model) for Hay Fever, Pollen & Dust Allergies, Pet Hair and Dander Allergy, Allergic Asthma, Sinusitis, Rhinitis Relief Reliever, Block Allergens Airborne Particles, Portable Air Purifier Cleaner Mask Hepa Screen, Alternitives of Medicine Spray Strips, Breathe Easy Pure Right Free, Grooming Gardening Tanning Tan Help Tools Kit (2 Filter Frames and 6 Pairs of Replacement Filters) (IV-R)
Offered by WoodyKnows

3.0 out of 5 stars A NOVEL AND CONVENIENT SOLUTION - BUT NOT NECESSARILY FOR EVERYONE, 29 Mar. 2016
This appears to be an excellent product, unique, innovative - and technologically advanced, I would have thought; so why only three stars ? Because I had difficulty managing it - but my difficulties will not apply to the majority.

Obviously, it is tiny, and the filters and other removable parts are, for all practical purposes, weightless as well ! So if, like me, you have large, arthritic, and less than steady hands, even unpacking the filters is highly problematical, let alone inserting them behind their retaining rings. Tweezers essential in any case, I would have thought. I managed it eventually without losing anything, only to find, when I took them out later, that, despite my best effots, I had succeeded in fitting one filter inefficiently, so that a gap had been left in one corner, seemingly through pushing too hard. If you share my dexterity problems, but have someone to fit them for you, you may well find them very helpful, and much more comfortable than a mask.

Not for asthma sufferers, obviously. But in certain situations it might be preferable to a mask, nonetheless.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2016 6:08 AM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars INADEQUATE SUPPORT., 29 Mar. 2016
The amount of arch support offered by these is minimal; placing them against the sole of my foot reveals a large gap between the apex of my arch and the supposed supporting area.

Celaflor Fungus-Free Ectivo - 100 ml
Celaflor Fungus-Free Ectivo - 100 ml

1.0 out of 5 stars GERMAN LANGUAGE THROUGHOUT; THEREFORE DANGEROUS IN THE HANDS OF NOMN-GERMAN SPEAKERS., 29 Mar. 2016
Both the box and the very lengthy instructions inside are printed entirely in German. There is much one would wish to know in addition to the reasons for, and purpose of, the four different dilution rates, including, of course, any warnings about sensitive species. Absolutely not recommended until English instructions are available.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20