Profile for Joseph Kay > Reviews

Content by Joseph Kay

Joseph Kay "Joe K." (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Smart Cabrio small Water Resistant Car Cover
Smart Cabrio small Water Resistant Car Cover
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad fit, low quality., 28 Sep 2012
The cover is advertised to fit the Smart Fortwo model, but it is way too large for it. It was absolutely impossible to fit it on my Smart. It was partly my fault, as I should have checked the size more carefully. The quality of the material is poor and the cover is not at all waterproof as advertised, as I realised after the first showers - unless by "water resistant" the seller means that the material is not soluble in water. This purchase was a complete waste for me. Even if the cover perfectly fitted the car, the quality is not worth the (admittedly low) price.

Eton M400 Pocket Size AM/FM/Shortwave Travel Radio with Digital LCD Display
Eton M400 Pocket Size AM/FM/Shortwave Travel Radio with Digital LCD Display
Offered by Nevada

5.0 out of 5 stars Does well what it is intended for, 28 Mar 2012
This little analogue radio is intended as a portable device, and for the price it does the job very well. I have experienced no relevant frequency drifting in SW, and none in FM/MW. This receiver is aimed at picking strong signals in SW, so one cannot expect it to receive far stations; however, it does its job very well. The speaker is small, so one cannot expect much from it; I used it mostly to listen to news at low volume - otherwise I used earphones (not provided). The build is solid and the power consumption is very reasonable. A sleep timer would definitely improve the device. Overall I am very satisfied by this radio and I happily carry it with me around the world.

Metal - A Headbanger's Journey [DVD]
Metal - A Headbanger's Journey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Metal
Offered by A2Z Entertains

2.0 out of 5 stars Naive but entertaining here and there, 25 Mar 2012
It is difficult to squeeze a vast phenomenon like metal music in little more than 90 minutes, and this film is in fact biased (the director is a die-hard metal fan) and not very deep. For instance, death metal is covered superficially, and Christian metal (ever heard about Stryper?) not even mentioned. The interviews to fans are plain and uninteresting, in my opinion.
The documentary has some very good parts though. Dee Snider gives a great interview and he oozes coolness and energy; we all feel sympathetic with his fight against the Congress' bigotry and political correctness. But the author of the film fails to mention that Snider is a Christian who does not do drugs nor gets drunk.
Overall, the documentary lacks in-depth analyses, despite the author making clear since the beginning that he is an anthropologist; it is more the account of a fan who has fun interviewing big names.
I borrowed the film so I cannot blame myself for wasting cash, and I enjoyed some parts of the documentary; but I cannot recommend buying the DVD.

The Dark Tourist: Sightseeing in the World's Most Unlikely Holiday Destinations
The Dark Tourist: Sightseeing in the World's Most Unlikely Holiday Destinations
by Dom Joly

1.0 out of 5 stars Travel literature at its worst, 21 Mar 2012
I haven't watched TV at all for almost 10 years so I had no idea about Dom Joly when I had this book in my hands at the local library. I have to say that I haven't read all the book because after a few pages I could not take any more. With stoic endurance, though, I have read the North Korea chapter in full. My impression is that of a badly written account of some trivial journeys, which sound more or less like when one of your dumb friends tells you about how cool his last trip was, while you don't care a rap about his boring vacation in a mass-tourism venue. The author travels unprepared, without any decent knowledge or cultural background; his writing is, as a consequence, a mix of highly hackneyed and uninteresting anecdotes and very corny humour. Joly lingers on boring details, marvelling at facts that the reader knows to be obvious; his writing style is flat like that of the diary of a not-so-bright 8-year-old. The chapter on North Korea, for instance, describes the author's impressions of an organised tour which is done every year - through certified agents - by thousands of tourists, who by the way write (check the Internet) on average much more interesting travel reports than Joly's. What's so special about such a trip then? The book is not amusing and it does not tell anything you wouldn't find after half an hour of Internet search; above all, it is very boring and the author's attempts at humour are silly and irritating. Perhaps the school-trip style, black-and-white photos depicting the author in various locations, intentionally (or maybe not) pulling idiotic facial expressions, are intended to be funny. In general a travel writer could write great travel books while travelling only a few miles away, if equipped with sensitivity, sense of humour and a good preparation. Joly seems to have little of the above and this is evident from this book, from which I recommend to stay away. If you are really curious, browse it in a library (or even in a bookshop) for free as I did.

Great GizmosClassic Pedal Car - Red
Great GizmosClassic Pedal Car - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy car, 12 Oct 2011
This car is a beautiful toy that will draw attention when driven by your kid(s). Mine arrived with a defective wheel, and the seller sent a replacement one promptly. The car has a solid and good-looking metal body and drives great. My son loves driving the vehicle and actually uses it as a means of transportation to go from to the park or around town (of course on pavement). The only minor drawback is that it is hard to pedal uphill even on moderate slopes; therefore I added a cord with a handle, tied to the roll-bar, by which the car can be pulled in case it is needed. Overall it is a great toy which is worth every penny.

Ragtime-the Best of Scott Joplin
Ragtime-the Best of Scott Joplin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great interpretation of Joplin's classics, 9 Sep 2010
I am a fan of Scott Joplin and I play his music. Joplin's pieces offer a universe of interpretations due to their abstractness. Chodack chooses to be away from the fast tempo that Joplin adopted in his recordings, and reinterprets these classic pieces in a sort of analytic manner, almost meditative, delving deep into the harmony of the composition. At times, he is very rithmic and emphasises sincopation. To me, listening to Chodack meant rediscovering Joplin somehow. The recording is highly recommended and worth every penny.

6x UltraClear Displayschutzfolie passgenau für Nokia E55
6x UltraClear Displayschutzfolie passgenau für Nokia E55

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, hard to place, 23 Mar 2010
I regard this screen protector as a low-quality one. After two attempts I managed to place one on the screen, but the results are not satisfactory. I explain why below.

(1) The shape of the protector fits perfectly the outer edge of the screen, but the three windows are not aligned. The main window, in correspondence of the earpiece, is slightly offset, but in a still acceptable way. The window for the secondary camera lens is not aligned and its edge obfuscates the camera creating a visible defect in the images. A third, inexplicable window partly overlaps with the "E55" label.
(2) The material of the protector is kind of thin and rigid, similarly to the one of the film that comes with the boxed phone. I found it extremely difficult to handle it and to place it on the screen. I tried twice, following carefully the instructions - the second time, I even used a credit card covered with a lens-cleaning cloth to apply it. In both cases, I could not get rid of all the bubbles, something that left me quite disappointed.
(3) Finally, the manufacturer declares the material is not scratch-free. I observed that it gets scratched in an extremely easy way - even when I tried, after having tried everything else, to move the bubbles out with the back of my thumb nail.

EASYi - Leather Wallet case for Sony Walkman NWZ-S738FB 8GB
EASYi - Leather Wallet case for Sony Walkman NWZ-S738FB 8GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional and with high-quality finishing., 2 Feb 2010
I particularly like this case. While the Walkman is in the case, the cable can be connected and all buttons and switches can be operated (except maybe for the Noise Reduction switch, which is hard to reach). The finishing and stitching is high-quality, the magnetic catch works definitely well, and the soft leather provides a great feel. The case does not add much weight or volume to the tiny Walkman, and protects well. Considering the reasonable price, I would definitely recommend it.

Humpty Dumpty (The playtime range)
Humpty Dumpty (The playtime range)
by 笹島明夫
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Best children songs I have come across, 29 Jan 2010
This is by far the best nursery rhymes CD I have come across. It contains plenty of songs, including the most famous ones. The arrangements and voices are excellent, and the alternation of rhythm and pace in the sequence of songs makes listening to the CD from beginning to end very amusing for children. It is a must-have.

LUPO Sony Walkman Leather Flip Case - BLACK - Sony Walkman S Series Video 8GB & 16GB NWZ-S639 NWZ-S638

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but not the best, 29 Dec 2009
This leather protects the player properly, and the overall quality is alright. However, the design is poor in some points. The USB cable cannot be inserted when the player is in the case, because the plug is partially covered by two leather straps. Moreover, the volume switch is half-covered - though it can still be operated once one gets used to it. In conclusion, this case is not great but it is usable, and considering the low price it can be a good deal.

Page: 1 | 2