Profile for B Wheeler > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Alternative Light Source
Alternative Light Source

4.0 out of 5 stars The 16 year gap is just not apparent!, 15 Jun. 2015
I had reservations about buying this. Firstly because it's 16 years since Rhythm and Stealth and secondly, it's only one of the two people who made up Leftfield. But it follows on from Rhythm and Stealth as if there has been no gap whatsoever! It's not dance music, it's electronic music and it's current, crisp and it just gets better with every listen. Even 'Head & Shoulders' is great albeit lyrically challenging! Really glad to see the return of Leftfield and to this level of quality. Really recommended.

Shame Cube (Oliver Huntemann Remix)
Shame Cube (Oliver Huntemann Remix)

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended Techno, 14 May 2015
Atmospheric and kind of disturbing techno. Can't comment on any other of the mixes, but this one is really very good.

Trance Nation Mixed By Simon Patterson - Ministry of Sound
Trance Nation Mixed By Simon Patterson - Ministry of Sound

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Trance!, 14 May 2015
I would never normally touch Trance compilations by Ministry of Sound. I think they have never represented dance music in a good way and over the last 20 years have churned out commercial digitally mixed mainstream rubbish. Hence I have never really bothered with any of the Trance Nation series.

But this was recommended to me on by Amazon, and it was, after all, Simon Patterson. I read the reviews and found out that I could get both full length mixes for under £2, so for that price, I felt it was worth a listen.

The first thing I think is apparent is that Ministry of Sound must have left the track choice to Mr Patterson and thankfully, not told him what to play. If you have never seen Simon Patterson live, then this is as close as you are going to get to one of his live sets. CD 1 starts off quite tame (for Mr Patterson) but is actually an incredibly good build up. Just over half way through CD1, things are really getting very good. CD2 starts off where CD1 finished - bangin' full on trance! I have to say, this is a great example of what Trance has to offer. Let's not forget in 2015, Trance has been around for 18 years, and this compilation really does show that it's not going away either.

As much as I don't like complimenting Ministry of Sound, this is thoroughly recommended. Well done Simon. I hope Ministry of Sound let John Askew take the helm next time, then we know we are in for more quality trance.

Wilder Mind
Wilder Mind
Offered by mrtopseller

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed., 5 May 2015
This review is from: Wilder Mind (Audio CD)
I've tried to get in to it, but without the sound of the previous two albums, this new material just sounds too 'ordinary'. It's not that the songs are bad, but I just feel they lack the unique quality of why I liked Mumford and Sons in the first place. I just can't see me listening to this album as much as the first two. The bottom line is, it's OK, but there are better albums to buy than this one.

Renaissance - The Mix Collection - Part 3
Renaissance - The Mix Collection - Part 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Music but the individual tracks are not the full length versions., 8 April 2015
The reason for my review is to inform othes that the mp3s are NOT the full length versions you would expect when you buy an mp3 mix album. They just cut off at the end where the next track would start. How do I know this? Because I own the original 3xCD version and compared the lengths of each of the tracks to what was for sale on Amazon. They are the same. Full length versions require some beat at the start and at the end to mix it in and out.

If you are not bothered about the individual tracks and just want the mixes, then I thoroughly recommend this album. It simply is a stunning collection of quality house mixed to perfection.

Time
Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Time (MP3 Download)
I came across this album because Guy Mantzur posted a DJ session on Soundcloud. I liked it, so it led me to investigate the album 'Time'. And what a hidden gem this is! The more I listen to this, the more I enjoy it.

This is progressive house / deep house / electronica style of music (note - this is not the 'progressive house' referred to by those silly Beatport folks who don't know their genres - that is just EDM Afrojack, Calvin Harris rubbish, and best avoided). No... this is the progressive house which builds, infectious beats and lush strings. Think how you felt hearing Sasha and Digweed's Northern Exposure albums! Music that makes you feel and not just listen. From the opening track, this album is solid gold. Beautiful.

What's more, is you get a 80 minute continuous mix included of all the album tracks. I like this better than individual tracks. That's not to say I don't appreciate the individual tracks themselves, I just prefer the flow of the continuous mix. It's just the type of music that works better as a mix.

I have no hesitations in recommending this. Simply stunning.

Songs Of Innocence
Songs Of Innocence
Offered by mrtopseller

2.0 out of 5 stars Just 'Average', 22 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Songs Of Innocence (Audio CD)
I consider myself a U2 fan ever since 'The Unforgettable Fire'. Like a lot of others, I had this album given to me free from iTunes, but since I buy every album by U2, I was intending to buy this too.

But I just can't get in to it. It's received many 5 star reviews on Amazon so I have continued to listen - maybe I was missing something? But even now, after about 15-20 listens, I just don't like it. It's just... average. None of the songs stand out - it just does nothing for me. I had a similar problem with No Line on the Horizon, but that did grow on me to an extent. I guess the fact of the matter is, I'm never going to hear another Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum or Achtung Baby, because that's what I hope for when U2 release a new album. I still play those now. This, I've just given up on.

So why are the majority of reviews for this album 5 Stars? I don't know, but on the other hand, look at the reviews or Zooropa, Pop, No Line on the Horizon - most are 5 Stars when really they are no where near the quality of the albums U2 made in the 80s / early 90s.

On this occasion, I'm just going to give it a miss... There's better stuff out there that warrants buying than this.

Mitre Ace Recreational Football
Mitre Ace Recreational Football
Price: £5.00 - £10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars As much as I like this football, 4 Nov. 2014
As much as I like this football, you should be aware that it is does not wear well if you play on concrete. Maybe it's not designed for that but I'm no expert on footballs and I just wanted a good quality football, better than those ones sold in Sports Direct.

Pure... 80s Remixes
Pure... 80s Remixes

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Pure... 80s Remixes (MP3 Download)
These are the original 12" Mixes of these songs from the 80s except for the last track 'She Bangs the Drums (Elephant Remix) by the Stone Roses. This was released in 2005. As much as I like the remix, it does not fit in with the rest of the album sound. I know the album is called Pure 80s Remixes and does not claim to be the original 12" mixes, but as I am reviewing the album, I wanted to clarify this for other people who may be thinking about buying it.

They are also full length versions - no 7" mixes have accidently made their way on to the compilation.

So it has its fair share of rubbish - Rick Astley, Bros, Weather Girls etc, but it also has many other 12" mixes you would normally get on an 80s 12" compilation so it's refreshing to get some other tracks. I gave it a good rating simply because it's such good value - £4.99 for all these tracks. Even if there are only 8 - 10 tracks you like, it's still good value for money. Quality is excellent too. And I have to say, I didn't like Whitney Houston or Billy Ocean but the 12" mixes of these are really pretty good! The Terence Trent D'Arby mix is also excellent. You can't really go wrong at the price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2014 6:02 PM BST

Electric 80s
Electric 80s

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better., 18 April 2014
This review is from: Electric 80s (Audio CD)
This is 3 CDs of 80s tracks in three continuous mixes. The track selection is quite standard for a choice of 'electric'. It would have been nice to see some more of the less-obvious choices though (Why no Kraftwerk?). I don't need to discuss the music though - it speaks for itself and was an amazing era.

So my reason for buying it was to have all the tracks mixed. And the mixing is sometimes good and sometimes poor. Some of it works really well and others 'just don't work'. Tainted Love does not flow in to Blue Monday! And some of it is just overlapped with no beat-matching going on whatsoever. Most of the tracks are the 12" versions, which I am glad they opted to use these instead of the 7" mixes, but they are cut too short. I'd rather see 15 tracks per CD if it meant hearing more of the longer 12" mixes, because they would flow better. However, I think this is typical of record companies going for quantity over quality.

Also worth noting is that the cardboard packaging is very bad. You can't easily remove the CDs without tearing the cardboard.

So overall, I'm still glad I bought this and I would like to see a Volume 2. It's good, but could be better. I would suggest you buy the mp3 album though - you get all the 12" versions of the tracks and the mixes and it's cheaper. Most of the full length 12" versions are superb tracks so you get to hear them in their entirety - with the CD, you just get the three long mixes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6