Profile for Fiona Ventura > Reviews

Content by Fiona Ventura

Fiona Ventura (Stotfold, Hitchin, Hertfordshire. United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Sun Shade Visor Screen For TomTom GO 5000 500 400 Sat Nav GPS Anti Glare and Night Reflection
Offered by Digital Accessories Ltd
Price: 5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't comment ..., 9 July 2014
... on the other model numbers listed but I can tell you that this item fits the new GO 400 perfectly. It is easy to put on and stays in place all right; there is just enough space to find and depress the power button.

I would have liked a slighted deeper shade at the top and sides but having it does make a difference and therefore I am happy to recommend this product to others ...

Extendable Shower Curtain Rod Aluminum 130240 cm Whirligig
Extendable Shower Curtain Rod Aluminum 130240 cm Whirligig
Offered by Tatkraft
Price: 18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This is such ..., 16 May 2014
... a simple item to install ! We have it across a 2.1m window and not for a shower curtain and, although we have only voiles on it, it feels sturdy enough to take much more weight. And what a pleasant surprise it was to be able to put it up so quickly and easily ! The instructions were, strangely, written on paper around the pole so there is no way of keeping them once you erect the product (a very silly thing to do but, I guess, it cuts down on waste and production costs) but, frankly, anyone who needs instructions probably requires therapy ! Any person could do it. It is also not an unattractive creature.

If there is anything else you wish to know then drop me a message and I will do my best to assist ...

FV

aLLreli Mini Android 4.2 TV Box - Quad-Core Google Smart HD IPTV Player Mini PC Network Streamer Wireless | WIFI Bluetooth | 2GB RAM + 8GB ROM | Newest Version Android TV Player
Offered by ForPower(aLLreli TM)
Price: 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It might not give you ..., 28 April 2014
... the immediacy of a tablet or smartphone but, let's face it, it makes for a terrific addition to one's gadget armoury !

Whilst one can read about flashing firmwares, updating this, upgrading that, if (like me) you are just a simple end user who wants something that will plug in and work then ignore all those daunting reviews and read this one instead.

This item is ideal for turning your television into a web-capable machine. I use mine mostly for watching adult videos at night in the bedroom on the big screen and it's great to be able to just have it there ready to go without having to go to the trouble of connecting up my laptop or tablet (we're becoming so lazy, aren't we ?). However, in order to use the product to its full potential (or even to be able to use it at all !) you might like to assimilate the following:

You will need some kind of input device because, without it, you will not be able to do anything ! I use this:

It's not perfect (e.g. some symbols such as @, () and ! don't come out) but if you click in the input field again then the on-screen keyboard comes up and you can use them together satisfactorily. You might like to know that the right mouse button on the keyboard is the equivalent of clicking the back arrow at the bottom left of a tablet's screen - very handy.

In case you don't know, micro-USB and USB ports operate in pretty much the same way - all you need is the correctly sized connector. You can plug in a USB mouse to control things but I would suggest this be a temporary solution as you will be, of course, restricted in your movements and confined to using the on-screen keyboard for typing anything.

Don't even think about powering the device from the USB port on your TV because the chances are it won't be sufficient (especially - but not solely - if you plug more than one thing into it). Also, I tried two keyboards (one 2.4GHz and one bluetooth) and I found that both wouldn't function properly more than a metre away from the device. I worked out that, as I have the unit behind the television (it plugs into an empty HDMI port, by the way), the signal was being blocked and so I put a small USB extender (into which I plugged the 2.4GHz keyboard's receiver) from the device onto the top of the TV. (You can't do this with the bluetooth keyboard (it communicates directly with the unit) because, although it comes with a small bluetooth receiver, one needs drivers for it and so the keyboard won't work if you try it with the receiver.) Now I can sit in bed quite happily without any communication issues as the receiver is in direct line of sight with the keyboard which leaves me free to concentrate on other, far more pleasurable pursuits ...

For increased storage I use this:

Although I found the wi-fi range on this item to be significantly better than others with the internal aerial, I opted in the end for an ethernet connection because there is nothing to beat it. All you have to do is turn off the wi-fi and enable ethernet through the settings menu (it's easy to find) after purchasing (and receiving and connecting !) this terrific item:

This will enable you to have a hard-wired ethernet internet connection (I use it with one of those mains Powerline set-ups). It works superbly well and makes the device more reliable and more enjoyable to use.

Other than Flash there is not a great deal installed on the unit and what was there I was quick to uninstall as I like a 'blank slate' to work with. I have read many things about upgrading browsers and the like but the one that it comes with works just fine and I haven't encountered any issues whatsoever so what's the point ? A little tip for you, though: some websites one visits will regard the unit as a mobile device and, consequently, will bring up the mobile version of the site in question. I don't like this at the best of times but it's a nightmare on certain adult sites ! All you have to do is click on the three vertical boxes in the top right of the screen and select "Request desktop site". There. Job done.

The only 'problem' I found was that after shutting the device down using the on-screen power icon (at the bottom of the screen), the unit would then not reconnect once I put the television back on. It was not such an issue for me because I use a remote-controlled socket to plug the item into so, when it shuts down, I press a button on the remote and power is disconnected from it; when I switch the socket back on the power returns to the unit and it boots up without any trouble.

It's a small point but don't forget that playing games such as Angry Birds is no longer so straightforward as you do not have a touch screen ! In order to throw the critters you need to click the left mouse button (or the keyboard's equivalent) and pull the catapult by moving the mouse or using the touchpad on the keyboard before releasing the mouse button. It's quite fun once you get the hang of it, actually.

If you follow the above advice you will have a simple little internet device (with flash capability) that is just like having an Android mobile on your television - just without the ability to make SIM card-based calls (although you can use Skype with a USB-hub (if you've used up both ports) and a webcam !).

I hope this review proves useful to you. If there's anything you would like to ask me then go ahead - I will help if I can - and I trust you will enjoy your watching ... x

MSF 71572 Bianco Travel Alarm Clock, White
MSF 71572 Bianco Travel Alarm Clock, White
Offered by HARTS
Price: 8.44

5.0 out of 5 stars I think you will find ..., 3 April 2014
... that if you want a travel alarm clock with two alarms then your choices are somewhat limited. Having said that, my star rating is not based simply on having been able to get hold of one ! I usually purchase items that have already been reviewed and, when I coupled that with the fact that the information provided about this clock on Amazon was not particularly extensive, I took - for me - a bit of a chance. However, I really think that for the price I paid (a tenner at the time), this little thing represents superb value for money. So what does one get for the price ?

Well, for a start, it is genuinely a dual alarm. I often get up at two different times and I used to dislike having to change the setting so regularly. With this, one can set two completely separate alarms and have either one or both (or, of course, none) of them on. All the controls are discreetly contained on the left, right and top sides of the device and they operate smoothly and feel sturdy. The unit itself is a good size (dimensions on Amazon) and quite attractive and the translucent cover folds back on itself to provide a perfectly adequate stand (as in the picture). The time display is a decent size (and even includes the seconds in digits !) and the backlight is much better than many others on this kind of item; also, one has simply to press the top button once and the light stays on for about three seconds so there is no need to keep the pressure on the button. (Furthermore, when setting the alarm time it is good to know that one doesn't have to keep pressing the button like a demented loon or else hold it down for ages (another bugbear of mine) - the numbers zip along nicely.)

The controls themselves are simple and intuitive to use and the instructions are well written also so there should be no problem. In addition to being able to choose 12- or 24-hour for the time (I dislike anything that doesn't allow me to select 24-hour), one can even set the day in one of five languages (French, German, Spanish and Italian being the other four) - something I would not expect to be able to do on a device of this nature.

The integrated thermometer appears to be accurate (when checked against others I possess). The alarm sounds for 60 seconds before switching itself off (until the next day, naturally) and, if you choose to 'snooze' it (top button again), then it sounds every five minutes for the next hour (for 60 seconds each time). The sound itself is a fairly loud (but not excessive), typically digital, beeping noise but I can tell you that at least it isn't the same pattern all the time: the alarm commences with a single beep every second for four seconds (I would have liked longer between changes but I am being picky), then it alters to two quick beeps every second for four seconds, then three quick beeps every second for a further four seconds and, finally, four beeps every second until the minute is up. I don't think that's bad going for a unit like this.

Finally, I can confirm that this clock is indeed radio-controlled. If it does not set itself fairly quickly (the instructions say to get it up and running of a night time) then one has the option of holding the snooze/light button down for three seconds and it will start searching for the signal straight away. You are advised not to do this too often as it will use more battery power, of course. I have found that the signal icon occasionally disappears completely from the display but that does not alter the time-keeping ability of the unit and it reconnects within a day or so. It adjusted itself to DST just fine and has those three letters permanently on the display. You might like to know that it takes two AAA batteries and a (likely cheap) pair is included.

All in all, then, I think the alarm clock is certainly worthy of having more good reviews and a better 'sales patter' ! I am very happy with my purchase and am glad that I stepped into the unknown with this product ...

FV

P.S. As I am not commenting on the longevity of this product (and I am naturally sceptical because of the price), I can assure you that should the item cease to function or not perform as it should then I will update this review accordingly. You can, therefore, take no news to be good news ! Also, if I have missed anything that you would like to know then ask me a question and I will furnish you with an appropriate answer ... x

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Whether you like it or not ..., 21 Feb 2014
... this product WORKS ! Yes, it is ridiculously expensive and I think it's disgraceful that Apple have upgraded a product and didn't include a suitable adaptor in the box - yet again abusing their buying public.

This item charges and allows full audio throughput (with no reduction in sound quality) so one can use the new iPhone/iPod 5 with the older-style docking sound systems. Furthermore, remote controls for the docks operate the devices attached to this connector without any trouble.

Take it from someone who has tried three different gadgets in an attempt to replace Apple's own connector - NOTHING works to the same degree as Apple's product. It really pains me to say that as I had avoided buying anything with Apple on it for many years because I disagree with the monopoly they hold and the way they manipulate their consumers but, quite simply - and probably BECAUSE of both the points I have just made - nothing can beat the way Apple's own products communicate and function with one another ...

FV

P.S. I notice that people are questioning the authenticity of this item; all I can say is that the situation must have changed because the product I received DID arrive in a genuine, Apple box (or I would not have reviewed it as I did). I suggest that, given the weight of negative reviews, you should try getting the seller to confirm the situation before you part with your money - either that or you take a gamble and see what happens ...!

Rug Control Spray RCS 1 Rug Anti-Slip Spray
Rug Control Spray RCS 1 Rug Anti-Slip Spray
Offered by West Derby Carpets Online
Price: 12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it's true, ..., 31 Dec 2013
... this stuff really does work. I have it on a rubber-backed 90x150cm barrier mat that is positioned in my hallway on a smooth-pile carpet and, prior to using this spray, the mat would not stay still for even a few hours, let alone a day ! Now, it doesn't budge a millimetre.

I applied the product in the garage but I would recommend that you do what I ended up doing and that is putting some kind of heater in there with it - because, at this time of year, the glue just would not dry ! Anyway, I got there in the end.

In my previous attempts at solving the slipping mat problem I had tried double-sided tape, 'cats claws' and even weights (!) and this is the only thing that has worked. It is similar to spray adhesive (perhaps I could have used that, I don't know) and it is well worth the money to put an end to something that was driving me crazier than my husband ...!

MiniSun BC B22 PIR Presence Motion Sensor Detector LED Light Bulb
MiniSun BC B22 PIR Presence Motion Sensor Detector LED Light Bulb
Offered by Manchester LED
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I can't say ..., 17 Dec 2013
... that I have had any issue with the detection angle whatsoever. In fact, the moment I open the cloakroom door this little beauty comes on.

It emits a perfectly adequate, not too stark light and mine goes off sixty seconds after the last detection. It couldn't be simpler to install and I have purchased another two (before the price goes up) to put in the loft and garage. I can wholeheartedly recommend this item and if I have any issues in the future then I will update this review - if you don't hear from me then assume that no news is good news ...!

FV

Auraglow Wireless PIR Motion Sensor Super Bright 6 LED Battery Powered Cabinet Drawer Night Light
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It is very hard ..., 15 Dec 2013
... to criticise this unit (although the price has just risen by three pounds as I got mine for under a tenner). It is simple to install, the motion sensor works well and the light it emits is perfectly adequate for airing cupboards, wardrobes etc. I can wholeheartedly recommend this item to others ...

Bill Brilliant G92891/13 Plug-in Spotlight Chrome / White
Bill Brilliant G92891/13 Plug-in Spotlight Chrome / White
Price: 25.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you have any idea ..., 10 Dec 2013
... how difficult it is to find a light that plugs directly into a mains socket in this way ?! In fact, this was only one of two that I could find on the whole UK web and it is by far the nicer looking.

The rotary control (that incorporates an on/off mechanism for the light so it can remain switched on at the wall the whole time) is simple to use and the dimmable light emitted is perfectly warm and decent - and bright if turned up all the way. I happen to have a socket on the wall just above my son's desk and this is absolutely ideal as it avoids a personal dislike of mine - trailing wires.

Yes, it is a shame that it is a French-style two-prong fitting (please be aware) but that is a small price to pay and, after all, one's choices are somewhat limited ...

Kingavon BB-RT321 Link and Under Cabinet Light Set
Kingavon BB-RT321 Link and Under Cabinet Light Set
Offered by dreamlandvalue
Price: 10.85

5.0 out of 5 stars This is ..., 10 Dec 2013
... a really useful product at a decent price. It is so easy to install (I didn't even bother with the fixings that came with it (although they seemed quite straightforward even to a lil ol' girl like me) and opted to use double-sided sticky fixers instead) and the light emitted is both steady and bright. I can wholeheartedly recommend this item to others ...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8