Profile for R.A.Highfield > Reviews

Wonders of Life [DVD]
Wonders of Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Prof. Brian Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Wonders of Life, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Wonders of Life [DVD] (DVD)
I recently watched Africa, narrated by David Attenborough. We don't see much of him, but, as always, his enthusiasm and clarity can only enhance the stunning BBC photography. Only after watching the 'Wonders' series do I realise what is missing from an Attenborough documentary. He only makes the shallowest attempts to tell us why the natural world is as we see it. Cox, with the same infectious enthusiasm and perfect delivery, takes it one step further. In Wonders of Life, he not only shows us those wonders, he explains how they came to be, linking their existence right back to the Big Bang. He explains the physics and chemistry behind the extraordinary natural world. He takes us from the common ancestor through evolution, and then back to the elements that make it all possible, explaining so that even a layman can understand. If he had been my physics teacher I would have done a whole lot better in the subject.
The filming is typically faultless and the scope vast, criss-crossing the world.
Along with Dr. Alice Roberts, the world would be a better place if everyone understood what they show us in 'The Incredible Human Journey' and 'Wonders of Life'. They are the two best documentaries I have ever seen and should be mandatory viewing for every citizen of Earth.

KPO: THE LEOPARD.
KPO: THE LEOPARD.
by Rene (trans Gwen Marsh). Guillot

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to reading for young lovers of animals, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: KPO: THE LEOPARD. (Hardcover)
This was the book that made me a lifelong reader. Borrowed from Beaconsfield Public Library when I was 7, I read it in one go and then made my mother repeat the 3-mile bicycle ride to go back and get more like it.