Profile for Mr. John F. Burton > Reviews

Content by Mr. John F. Burton

Mr. John F. Burton "John Burton" (Reading UK)

TrueCall - The Nuisance Call Blocker
TrueCall - The Nuisance Call Blocker
Offered by DST (UK) LTD Established 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 31 May 2013
Not a single nuisance call since I installed it a month ago and no wanted calls lost, once I'd set up my Star List.

The Caucasus: An Introduction
The Caucasus: An Introduction

5.0 out of 5 stars The Caucasus, 7 Nov. 2012
I bought this book, having been fascinated by the author's previous book, The Black Garden. This one takes a broad look at the whole of the Caucasus and is just as well written and researched. It is also easy to read and most engaging.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 5:18 PM GMT

Black Garden: Armenia and Azerbaijan Through Peace and War
Black Garden: Armenia and Azerbaijan Through Peace and War

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 7 Nov. 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book and am several hundred percent more knowledgeable about these two countries as a consequence. It is very well written and researched.

The AIDS Conspiracy
The AIDS Conspiracy

5.0 out of 5 stars A jolly good read, 5 Mar. 2012
This is a hard-to-put-down thriller with an ingenious plot and plenty of action. It's an original take on where AIDS might have come from.

Ecotek Standby Saver 6-Way Socket - USB Version (discontinued by manufacturer)
Ecotek Standby Saver 6-Way Socket - USB Version (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket

3.0 out of 5 stars Of Limited Use, 9 Feb. 2011
Like some other reviewers, I've found that this device does not turn itself off when my PC is shut down, because the PC still continues to power its USB sockets. If I then turn off the physical switch on the back of the PC case, then the device works and does turn off its sockets. I have not found a way of persuading my PC to cease poering its USB sockets when shut down.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2011 12:41 PM GMT

Canon PIXMA iX7000 Colour Printer
Canon PIXMA iX7000 Colour Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon PIXMA IX7000, 23 April 2010
Unlike previous reviewers, I am impressed by this printer. It churns out double-sided prints, including A3 ones, in bulk without needing any attention. The print quality on plain paper is very good and sharp. It also prints good quality photographs, both on plain paper and on photo paper. It is much superior to my previous A3 Canon printer, which was an i9100. It was easy to install and set up. It is a large and heavy printer, so needs a solid surface to stand on. It does vibrate now and then in order to keep its inks mixed. I compared several general purpose A3 printers before choosing this one, with auto duplex being a key requirement. I like the fact that the rear of the printer can be placed close to a wall, as the paper feeds come from the front or from above. The paper cassette at the front is a great feature, as it allows the loading of a large amount of paper, increasing the ability to initiate a large print run without the need to baby sit it. It comes with a comprehensive electronic manual.

Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser
Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood BM450, 7 Mar. 2010
I've been able to make good wholemeal bread in this machine with little effort. I have followed the instructions carefully, which I've heard is important for best results. The machine looks good as well and it's reasonably simple to learn how to drive it.

Garmin 010-00697-18 GPS Black
Garmin 010-00697-18 GPS Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-end Hand-held GPS, 9 Nov. 2009
This is a top-end piece of hand-held GPS equipment. I've found that it takes a bit of learning, but that it is effective. This model comes with a preloaded map. I have downloaded an OS 1" inch map of Southern England, at extra expense.

Pluses so far are accurate and fast acquiring GPS position; ability to see one's position and route overlaid on a map; a surprisingly effective camera; nice to handle and use; reassuringly rugged and able to take out in wet weather; interfaces to a PC with Memory-Map or similar software for downloading of waypoints and routes.

My only niggle so far is that the compass appears indecisive when not moving. It may be that I've not got the hang of it.

I would recommend this to anyone after a powerful GPS hand-held. It is reassuring to have it to hand when tackling new walks.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2011 2:41 PM GMT

Magimix Le Duo Plus 14265 Juicer XL
Magimix Le Duo Plus 14265 Juicer XL

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Juicer, 7 Aug. 2009
This is the first juicer I've bought and has so far worked very well. I've turned vegetables, ordinary fruit and citrus fruit into juice. The machine has a powerful motor, so has no trouble in reducing chunks into juice. It needs the pulp cleaning out after a glass worth of juice, but I don't find that much bother. My only mistake at first was to leave the coulis attachment in when it shouldn't be, e.g. with apples, which makes an untoward noise.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2013 3:06 PM GMT