Profile for Fisket > Reviews

D.N.Angel Vol 1: v. 1
by Athena Nibley
Edition: Comic

5.0 out of 5 stars Yesss!!, 23 Dec 2003
This review is from: D.N.Angel Vol 1: v. 1 (Comic)
I was so excited to find out this was getting translated!
D.N.Angel is a fairly recent addition to the ranks of anime classics in Japan, though the manga has been around for a few years now, and there's a good reason why it's so popular. It's friggin' fantastic, that's why!
Daisuke has a pretty normal life, seeming to have no issues different to the average young teenage male. Okay, so he seems to be strangely skilled at sudden athletic stunts, but we can let that go, can't we?
But it's Daisuke's fourteenth birthday, and it's all change now. Because now, Daisuke has to share his body and awareness with Dark, an angel-like legendary thief (who's also extremely cute ^_^ ). The other problem is, Daisuke and Dark are both in love with the same girl, but she only has eyes for one of them...
And of course there's much more going on, with various enemies, relationships and mysteries to solve. This is a really great manga. It's got great characters and plot development that takes its time helping you get to know the cast without seeming slow. Some of the storylines feel a bit 'problem of the week'ish, but there's always enough development of the ongoing, overall story to keep it satisfying. The artwork is quite similar to the anime, if you've seen it- in other words, gorgeous.
I'm really enjoying D.N. Angel, and I have no problem with shouting its praises to the masses- so go, buy it, love it! It's fantastic!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2008 7:28 PM GMT

Under the Glass Moon: 1
Under the Glass Moon: 1
by Ya-sŏng Ko
Price: 4.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, stylish and original, 20 Sep 2003
Meet Luka and Luel, brothers who are really pretty different, as brothers go.
Luel is a sweet, caring alchmist.
Luka is a habitually irate, often arrogant dark wizard.
Now meet Madame Botelli and her daughter Nell, their neighbours. Madame Botelli is a little crazy at times, and often preoccupied by cute guys (very understandable ^_^ ), though with a distinct ability to be mature when she wants to be, while Nell, an also-crazy and often brattish character, but with the cliche-defying knack for *not* being annoying, is simply determined to win Luka's heart, as she believes he saved her life once.
Also meet Neo, a very cute teenager from Czechoslovakia who is quietly bent on making himself Luka's apprentice.
Throw them all together and you get the starting point of 'Under the Glass Moon'.
I won't go into any more plot detail, because I don't want to spoil the story for you. However, rest assured this manga doesn't waste much time in getting an obviously carefully-thought-out and intriguing plot underway.
There are love triangles, dark magic users, battles, secrets and humour all flowing from this beautifully-drawn manga. Every page is packed with detailed, often gorgeously shaded drawings that are really lovely to look at and quite unique in style. The gothic feel is given a sometimes dark and foreboding atmosphere from the story itself, which is in turn lightened with lots of fun and wryly humourous sequences.
I gave this four stars rather than five simply because, while it is a great manga, it didn't *quite* capture me the way others have (for example, Demon Diary and Inuyasha). But I will definitely be buying the rest of this series. ^_^
This manga is certainly worth a look- it's witty and original, and has some brilliant characters, not to mention the lovely artwork.

Demon Diary Volume 3: v. 3
Demon Diary Volume 3: v. 3
by Lee Yun Hee

5.0 out of 5 stars So many beautiful characters! So much fun!, 19 Sep 2003
Volume three of 'Demon Diary' sees the second half of the 'demon master meets 15-year-old Raenef' backstory, along with the introduction of Leeche, a young daughter of a rich family who acts like a spoilt brat much of the time- though obviously has more to her personality- and some *very* interesting background on Chris- I have to say, I didn't really see *that* one coming... I won't say more for fear of spoiling it, but it's very promising.
All of the cast get a nice share of character development, while keeping the storyline moving along at a nice pace, despite the flashbacks that dominate much of this volume.
Artwork is just as beautiful as we're getting used to with this series *sighs happily* There's a particular picture, about halfway through the book, of Raenef, that is quite possibly the *cutest* drawing I've ever seen! You'll know it when you see it- it's so adorable!!
^_^ Swooning aside, there is yet again a lot of great humour in this volume, though there's also a developing sense of a more serious underlying plot just waiting to reach the surface, which just makes me look forward to the rest of the series even more. And there's a little more shounen-ai cuteness, too. ^.^
Something else worth mentioning is the re-read value of this series, as well: I read all three books through twice in the first couple of days of getting them, it's just that good!
Buy, read, laugh your face off and revel in the cuteness! Yay!

Demon Diary Volume 2: v. 2
Demon Diary Volume 2: v. 2
by Lee Yun Hee

5.0 out of 5 stars More plot and more laughs!, 19 Sep 2003
In this second volume of what was the already promising series 'Demon Diary', the great potential of the first volume is realised and surpassed in almost every way.
Following on from Raenef's rather inept, though spirited, treatment of the 'knight invasion' situation of the previous book, demon tutor Eclipse allows Erutis, said knight, to stay on as Raenef requested. Another new character is introduced; Chris, a psychotically-enthusiastic 'SUPERGENIUS!!' whose one true mission in life is to destroy all demons. I'll let you read and find out what happens with him. ^_^
There is also the very interesting and amusing backstory about how Eclipse found Raenef in the first place, and chose him as the next demon lord. No extra bonus stories in this book as there were in the last one, though, which is both good and bad: it means more pages dealing with our main cast and storyline, but I really enjoyed 'Crystal Heart' and 'Terra', and wouldn't mind seeing more like it...
Anyway, as before, the artwork is consistantly beautiful. It reminds me of Clamp's style, with the pretty faces, gorgeous eyes and an almost art-nouveau style, though I think I actually like 'Demon Diary's artwork even more. It's so perfect!
So far, there has been more humour than anything else, and while this volume keeps the hilarity going (I was laughing out loud so many times reading this!), it adds some more character development and kind of reminds us that there *is* in fact a story being told. There is a little more on the shounen-ai/Eclipse/Raenef front, too.
Just as good if not better than the first volume, I'd definitely recommend this to anyone looking for fun, fantasy, cuteness, sexiness ^.^ and cool fighting spells in an all-round brilliant manga.

Almost Famous [DVD] [2002]
Almost Famous [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Billy Crudup
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.47

5.0 out of 5 stars We've all gone to look for America..., 11 Sep 2003
This review is from: Almost Famous [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
There are films which give you a sight of what is interesting, what is entertaining and indealistic.
Then there are films which give you the truth: 'honest, and unmerciful'.
'Almost Famous' follows the journey of 15-year-old William Miller, an aspiring rock journalist and rock lover, as he joins Stillwater on a tour around America. On the way, he meets 'bandade' Penny Lane, who leads him with a wink and a smile through the world of rock music.
In this director's cut, we get the extra depth, the added character development, and the final truths of this amazing film. I can't help but see this as a hopeful, nostalgic, dreaming, drunk, inspired, morose, buzzing and endlessly alive film. It conveys the power of music with the sequences on stage, where the throbbing base beat and screaming crowds remind you of any and every rock show you've been to. It tells the story of a love that never admits it is love, and won't live to see the day; but don't think it won't party like hell until then. It elevates the principles of originality and individualism behind true rock music, even while it confronts the reality of the fact that it is, at the end of the day, an industry, where money and agents have control.
It is as William says in the film: Penny often refers to what she'd say, or how'd she feel if something had happened in the real world; when the cracks start to show, and William becomes disillusioned and cynical, despite being the youngest person there, he asks her angrily, 'When and where does this real world occur?'
'Almost Famous' is bittersweet and compelling, with quiet moments, such as when Penny dances alone in an empty hall the night after a concert, moved along with hungry, demanding scenes, such as the moments when the frictions in the band come to the surface, but also with intensely contented moments, like when the band and co heal over the conflicts of the day before with a rendition of 'Tiny Dancer' on the tour bus- a scene that never fails to give me goosebumps, and make me smile.
With a fantastic soundtrack, consistently excellent acting, a compelling and realistic script and spot-on directing, along with the scenes that I'm so glad have found it to the light of day, this is a DVD you just have to have.

Benny And Joon [DVD] [1993]
Benny And Joon [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand me the iron, there's bread that needs toasting, 27 Aug 2003
This review is from: Benny And Joon [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
I bought this film for the fact that Johnny Depp is in it, and while I was not disappointed in the least, he is by no means the only good thing about this crazily brilliant film.
The basic premise of the film is that Joon, a girl with psychological problems and a very protective older brother, wins a guy named Sam in a game of cards. She and Sam fall in love, leaving them with the task of telling Benny and living to see another day, and getting past Joon's harder problems associated with her mental disorder.
From this summary, you can already see how this film is such a mix of genres.
'Benny and Joon' could be classified as a romance, a drama, a comedy or an angst flick, but really it's simply a perfect blend of all four, with a quirkiness factor that just makes it very original and incredibly amusing to watch.
I laughed out loud more times than I can count: I had no idea Depp was so talented at playing comedic roles. On the other hand, there are moments when Sam shows sincerity and maturity, which keep his character admirable and realistic- no one can be a clown *all* the time without ending up looking stupid and insensitive. And Depp even manages to pull off a character who wears a top-hat and tails in marvellous style!
There is such a balance of the elements in this film: the romance scenes between Joon and Sam are my favourites of any film I've ever seen, and this is already one of my favourite films of all time. It's just so different from the usual, samey 'boy meets girl' sludge from the bottom of the Hollywood barrel.
You should definitely see this film. It's one of a kind, and more than entertaining.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow: v. 5
Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow: v. 5
by CLAMP

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearing the end of a beautiful adventure, 21 Aug 2003
I'm assuming that you have bought the first volumes of the Master of the Clow series if you are buying this one, hence SPOILERS for earlier parts of the series. Okay!
In this volume, the last-but-one of the Cardcaptor Sakura series, we get the conclusion of Sakura's outward battles to convert the Clow Cards into Star Cards, and the climactic battle between herself and Eriol (who we already know is the one causing problems for her).
As well as the battle (which is pretty spectacular- but then, this IS Clamp we're talking about), we find out the reasons behind what Eriol was doing, and a major plot twist that was not in the anime- this was something that caught me completely by surprise, as I'd seen the anime before reading the manga.
Personally, I don't understand why this twist wasn't put into the anime, but oh well, I really appreciated it here. ^_^
There is some development of the ongoing 'situation' between Syaoran and Sakura as well, and the ending of this volume leaves you waiting for a conclusion of all of Sakura's- and the other characters'- inner, abstract battles and worries, now that the more tangible ones have been finished with.
It's the anticipation of these other loose ends of the series- the relationships and couplings that have been previously hinted at or developed- that will leave you dying for the final volume (it did with me, anyway), so I'd advise you to get volume 6 at the same time as this one, if you can.
There isn't really much else to say: the artwork is just as beautiful as all the rest of this series, and there is just as much cuteness, though perhaps a little more action and seriousness compared to other volumes in the series, since this *does* cover the 'final battle', as it were.
Ah, and the bonus card in this one is of Clow Reed, in case you were wondering.
If you're following this manga series, you certainly can't go without this volume. A must-have for all Clamp and Sakura fans. ^_^

Dizzy Up the Girl
Dizzy Up the Girl
Offered by rbmbooks
Price: 18.32

5.0 out of 5 stars So much perfection on one CD..., 2 July 2003
This review is from: Dizzy Up the Girl (Audio CD)
I've heard almost everything the Goo Goo Dolls have ever made. It all started years ago, with this very album, and the fact that my brother always played it loud enough for me to hear it through his bedroom wall. I entered the world of rock music through this album, and it remains one of my favourites of all time.
I would certainly argue that this is the Goo Goo Dolls' best album. Some (like my brother) favour their earlier style, but the more stylish, smoothed-out tunes of this album suit me down to the ground. The likes of 'January Friend' are great for bashing out in the car on an open road; 'Broadway' is mellower and just really cool (cliched word but so true); 'Iris' is quite simply one of the best songs ever written; we also have a gorgeous little acoustic, aptly named 'Acoustic #5'; and I can't help jumping around to the *anthem* 'Slide'.
Most CDs have at least one track you habitually skip past. 'Dizzy Up the Girl' has no such track. Every single song on this album is just brilliant, without reverting to the 'make every track the same so you'll like them all' mindset that so many modern artists seem to favour.
Get this CD- it's simply masterful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2012 4:12 PM GMT

Harry Potter Paperback Box Set: Four Volumes
Harry Potter Paperback Box Set: Four Volumes
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars What is it about Harry Potter?, 1 July 2003
I mean, he's just irresistable.
I put off and put off reading any Harry Potter books, but finally I succumbed to the allure of magical mischief and picked up this set, thinking I may as well read all four while I'm at it.
I read the first three in five days flat.
There's just something about these stories... They pull you in. You can start off determined to hate them, but they draw you in. You end up wondering if J K Rowling went to the same school as you, because you could swear you knew kids just like these when you were at school. Okay, so you did maths and science instead of divination and defence against the dark arts- but Rowling puts in character traits, situations and feelings that anyone can relate to.
Take, for instance, the way the Dursleys treat Harry when he stays with them in the summer holidays- I found myself growling out loud and grinding my teeth, wondering how Harry didn't blow the roof off, and empathising with his anger, as well as his long-sufferance. When Harry won the quidditch match, I actually jumped out of my seat and cheered. (I scared one of my cats witless)
I think the best thing about these books is their unpredictability. You can't see some things coming at all. It's amazing. I love the way small details end up meaning something really important by the end of the book.
Read these books- you really won't regret it at all. And if you want something your kids will enjoy, I read some Harry Potter to the kids I babysit and they love it. Just be prepared to make up some interesting different voices for the characters. ^_^

Wish: v. 4
Wish: v. 4
by CLAMP (Mangaka group)

5.0 out of 5 stars How can you predict this ending?, 1 July 2003
This review is from: Wish: v. 4 (Paperback)
Answer: you can't. Well, I don't know, there may be a few with almost psychic prediction skills, but I absolutely didn't see this one coming.
To back track and clear up a bit (NO spoilers! Don't worry! ^_^), the final volume of 'Wish' beings us from fuzzy cuteness- though with hints of darker things to come- through a rollercoaster of emotion and plot twisting to an amazing finality, and a bittersweet conclusion. We finally find out why things have been so hard for Kohaku and Shuichiro to be together, and the thing Kokuyo has been suspecting and trying to say finally comes out. And Shuichiro makes his wish. ^_^ It's all pretty unexpected and very emotive, but I won't say more for fear of spoiling it.
A lot of people have said this series is too cute, or too predictable, or for young kids rather than adults. Well, I'm 18, so I don't think I count as a *young* kid, and I think this series is gorgeous.
Yes, it's cute- but not overly so. And I honestly don't see how someone who has read this series to the end can say it's just for kids under 13- I'd be more likely to say you shouldn't let kids under 10 read it, because of some emotionally mature things in the final volume, as well as the- admittedly ambiguous- sexual references elsewhere.
Soapbox aside, this volume of 'Wish', like all the others, is fantastic- you should definitely buy it. And if you've read the others, there's no way you'll not want to know the ending!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3