Profile for Keith Appleyard > Reviews

Content by Keith Appleyard

Keith Appleyard "kapple999" (Brighton, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Conquistadors
Conquistadors
by Michael Wood

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just about Cortes & Pizarro, 29 July 2004
This review is from: Conquistadors (Paperback)
As you read this book, you can imagine it being Michael Wood's speaking script for his TV program.
As well as the stories you would expect about Cortes & Pizarro, I was pleasantly surprised to read of 2 explorers I'd never heard of - Orellana & de Vaca - which made this different to many other books of the same theme.

Re-imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
Re-imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
by Tom Peters

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but hard on the arm muscles, 13 July 2004
This is a wild collection of Tom Peters thoughts culled from his portfolio of Powerpoint slides.
I particularly liked the Chapter on Education - both the current workforce & the future workforce.
For all the boasting he made about his new partnership with Dorling Kindersley, I found the book too heavy, and the key "Contrast" Summary tables at the end of each Chapter were printed White feint on a bright Red background - very hard to read - DK should know better.

World Without Secrets: Business, Crime, and Privacy in the Age of Ubiquitous Computing
by R. Lanny Hunter

4.0 out of 5 stars Good & bad view of Digital Technology, 13 July 2004
Easy to read review of what digital technology is going to promise us in the future - both good & bad.
It's not intended to scare, nor to defend the undefendable, but it gives a good all round review in an easy entertaining style.

All Families are Psychotic
All Families are Psychotic
by Douglas Coupland

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Provocative, 13 July 2004
I enjoyed the book, but thought the reactions of some of the characters were not convincing. For example, as people become diagnosed as HIV-infected, it's all very friendly & philosophical like catching a cold, whereas in any family, never mind a psychotic one, I think there'd be more emotion.

Dude, Where's My Country?
Dude, Where's My Country?
by Michael Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book of the Film, 13 July 2004
I suspect that the film 9/11 is based upon much of what is in this book. I enjoy Michael Moore's work, even more so given the subject matter of this book. I think it should be compulsory reading in every American High School so that the next generation prevent a repetition of the recent Administrations.

How Proust Can Change Your Life
How Proust Can Change Your Life
by Alain de Botton

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do much for me, 13 July 2004
Sorry but although I persevered and read this through to the bitter end, it just didn't anything for me.

Galileo's Finger: The Ten Great Ideas of Science
Galileo's Finger: The Ten Great Ideas of Science
by Peter Atkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going in places, 13 July 2004
Some of the press reviews suggest that this is for the general reader. However, even with a degree in Science, I found some the explanations quite hard-going, and I think the general reader might be disappointed or frustrated, hence why I give it 3 rather than 4 stars.

Make the Rules or Your Rivals Will
Make the Rules or Your Rivals Will
by G. Richard Shell

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable & informative, 13 July 2004
Confession - I do the occasional work as an IT Advisor for a Global Lobbying group, and I wish I'd read this book a few years ago, I could have been doing my job better.
This is not an apologia for Lobbyists, it represents both sides of the fence. Some excellent case histories, such as when FDR re-scheduled Thanksgiving, and when Margarine had to be coloured pink.
It is not US-centric, it does contrast & compare many US & International customs, practices & procedures, and is comprehensive, covering many different Industries.
I liked the story in the Chapter on Litigation, how the Ancient Greeks discouraged Appeals : if you lost your appeal, you could be sold as a slave - nice idea we could do with today, to stop time-wasting.

The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
by Clayton M. Christensen

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good explanation of the solution, 13 July 2004
This is easier to read than the Innovators Dilemma. There is a more varied range of Product and Industry case studies, which helps to show how broadly this theory can be applied.
What I did like is how he covers the footnotes at the end of each Chapter - so if they don't interest you, you can skip over them, but if they do interest you, then you don't have to struggle to the back of the book. I wish more authors & publishers would use that technique.
One quibble - given his Economics background, he suggests that having competing phone standards is not wasteful. Only an Economist would say that. A Consumer finds it frustrating. He has the good grace to suggest in a footnote that some readers might take issue with him, and I am one. He belittles the benefit of schoolgirls from Sweden using their phone on vacation in Spain, but I can vouch that being able to readily check on the safety of my teenage daughters when they're in foreign Countries for over 10% of the year is a definite benefit!
Given his Economics background - of course there are plenty of graphs, and 99% of them are straight lines - there are no time dependent variances in his world. Also some silly proof-reading slips, such as a "semi-log" graph being described as "semi- long".
Probably still worth reading the Innovators Dilemma before reading this one, just to get the theory.

The Innovator's Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail
The Innovator's Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail
by Clayton M. Christensen

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to a nice Theory, 13 July 2004
Not quite as easy to read as I would have liked. Christensen describes some very interesting & plausible theories, but is somewhat confined into employing the computer disk industry as the rapidly changing example which both demonstrates & proves his theories, and its not necessarily the most exciting case material. Other products only get a minor look-in.
One quibble - given his Economics background - of course there are plenty of graphs, and 99% of them are straight lines - there are no time dependent variances in his world.
Read this before you read the Innovators Solution.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14