Profile for Robert Colvin > Reviews

Content by Robert Colvin

Robert Colvin (UK)

XMI X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Problem with battery, 5 Aug 2010
After buying this and finding that the battery wouldn't charge, I then discover through researching the problem on the web, that many users have experienced exactly the same thing with brand new units. It appears that the manufacturer has also acknowledged the problem and identified that the battery can go 'dry'. However, with no doubt thousands of these units still within the distribution chain, it appears that no recall has been initiated and that these 'suspect' units are instead being sold at a discount. Please note that there is a X-mini II "2nd Generation" speaker available to buy on Amazon, which costs about £6 more than this one. I presume this is exactly the same speaker with a fix for the battery issue.

I have returned the speaker and requested a refund, although I'm not sure I'll be buying an XMI with the money.

UPDATE (27/09/2013). I was rather confused with the comments on my review by others, who insisted on referring to the 2nd generation (2G) version of this speaker, despite my original review being about the 1G version. I see that my review is now associated with the 2G version. Presumably this is because Amazon stopped selling the 1G (or ran out of stock) so they just moved all reviews for the earlier version on to the subsequent version. Extremely bad practice by Amazon as there are clearly now reviews for this 2G version that do not apply, and never did apply. Let me make it clear, my review was for the 1G variant which now appears to no longer be available. I can't vouch for the quality of the 2G as I've never owned it.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2013 9:38 PM BST

Belkin USB to Infrared SmartBeam
Belkin USB to Infrared SmartBeam

5.0 out of 5 stars Connecting to Polar HRM, 15 May 2010
I had a laptop that had IR built in. The laptop is now no more and my new one has no IR and runs Windows 7. I still have a requirement to upload my Polar HRM files into Polar's Precision Performance software. I didn't want to buy Polar's own IrDA as it's vastly over-priced and reviews indicate that its reliability is poor.

So for all you Polar users...

1. Polar Precision Software works on Windows 7
2. This IrDA works on Windows 7
3. 1 and 2 above work with each other, and with the Polar S625X HRM

Similar to the other reviewer with the dust laden box, the product packaging, as delivered, had seen better days but this is entirely cosmetic. The product is clearly new and unused but seems to have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for some time. Frankly though I don't care, the price is good, you get a little USB cable for added convenience and it works with Windows 7 (just plug it into your USB and you're good to go). Compare this with the much more expensive, flaky and incompatible alternatives. Get one before the stock is exhausted for good!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars iPhone 3GS in iPod Touch Armband, 15 May 2010
This is a review of the iPod Touch version of the armband, which I deliberately bought for an iPhone 3GS as I didn't want the earpiece cut-out in the front cover in the iPhone version of this armband, which I simply see as being another orifice for moisture and dirt to get into.

The iPhone fits very snugly into this armband. The only disappointment is that it's so snug that I need to remove the Switcheasy RebelSerpent case that normally protects my iPhone. Admittedly this is a fairly rugged case so it may be possible to slip an iPhone into the armband with one of the thinner cases/skins, but it would have to be VERY thin.

If you want to carry an iPhone you need to wear this armband 'upside down' so that the hole for the earphones aligns with the socket on the iPhone (assuming you wish your iPhone to be the right way around). This isn't a complaint; I'm just highlighting it for those who prefer to buy the iPod Touch version rather than the iPhone version. However, as I use the RunKeeper app there's something to be said for having your iPhone upside down as this orientation makes it easier to access the app during the workout. There is an orientation feature in the Runkeeper app, which means you can put it in landscape view, but in the current version (Pro 2.2.0.18) you lose the ability to pause or stop the app.

On the subject of the earphone hole I do have some concern over its durability as it's just a simple punch-out with no finish to the hole edge; only time will tell whether this leads to it fraying and ripping.

This isn't the most stylish armband around, although I can only compare it with the shiny marketing photos of the other brands, but it's comfortable and the quality of the stitching is generally good. My only gripe would be when you get to the plastic screen area as it seems slightly cheap and the finishing is not quite up to the standard of the rest of the product.

iPhone screen responds well under the armband's cover.

I like the idea of the elasticated cable tidy for the slack on your earphone wire, but it's actually quite fiddly to feed the wire in and get the length just right while wearing the armband. I'd suggest setting this up while not wearing the armband and make further adjustments when you put it on.

A common complaint, for all armbands it has to be said, is that the strap can be too short. Well I'm male, just under 6 feet tall, 13st 7lb and average build; this armband fits fine. I think you'd have to be fairly over-developed in the arms to have any problem with this armband.

Delivery: Prompt

Overall rating: Very good for the price and I'm pleased that I didn't buy one of the more expensive offerings, it's just an armband for goodness sake!

Body Of Secrets: How America's NSA & Britain's GCHQ Eavesdrop On The World
Body Of Secrets: How America's NSA & Britain's GCHQ Eavesdrop On The World
by James Bamford

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do what it says on the tin!, 6 Jun 2005
"Body of Secrets: How America's NSA and Britain's GCHQ Eavesdrop On The World". Really? As a British reader I was interested in how GCHQ operates; you'll learn virtually nothing buying this book! This is essentially a history of the U.S. intelligence services with some passing references to "foreign" agencies such as GCHQ. Don't get me wrong, this is a well researched and interesting book but it isn't what it claims to be. Interestingly the U.S. version of the book is entitled "Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency", so it would appear that the U.K. version is simply a re-badged version of this one.