Profile for Jayne H > Reviews

Chattahoochee
Chattahoochee
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film!, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Chattahoochee (DVD)
I was a bit worried about this being a foreign copy (the blurb on the case is all in german), but the film plays in it's original language, so needn't have worried.
Wonderful film; based on a true story & very touching; Gary Oldman & Dennis Hopper absolutely brilliant.

Nil By Mouth [1997] [DVD]
Nil By Mouth [1997] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Winstone
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Painfully absorbing, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Nil By Mouth [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I wasn't sure whether I would like this, but wanted to see it as I'm a big Gary Oldman fan.
It's very gritty, shocking, touching....felt like I'd been whacked over the head with a reality hammer.....beautifully written and acted; the characters draw you in and engage you, and although parts of the film were harrowing, those characters and their relationships to one another allow you to connect even to the scenes you wish weren't part of their lives. Not a story as such, but a reflection of life; no nice, neat endings, which absolutely suits the subject....a snapshot of how tough it can be just to exist day-to-day for some, without aspirations of escape. All the more poignant for knowing that Mr Oldman wrote this based on his own experiences of early life, and has given us a window into this world without patronising the characters or romanticising the environment.
Not for the faint-hearted, but absorbing, thought-provoking and well worth watching.

State Of Grace [DVD] [1991]
State Of Grace [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Sean Penn
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant...., 14 April 2014
This review is from: State Of Grace [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
Without going deeply into the plot of the film (who needs spoilers....I certainly don't, but some reviewers feel the need to post them - why?!), it's a great movie; well-developed characters, pacy, absorbing plotline & some great acting. If you're a fan of the very brilliant Mr Oldman, definitely a must-see! Loved it, will definitely watch again, so well worth buying.

Play-doh Candy Cyclone
Play-doh Candy Cyclone
Offered by ALL_IN_1

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped...., 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Play-doh Candy Cyclone (Toy)
The children do like this, but it's rather fiddly to use & gets clogged very easily. Handle is too stiff for my 3yr old to turn, but the 5yr old manages quite well. When the balls of 'doh come out, they have a little nodule on them which prevents them from rolling down the chute easily & if the kids don't notice they're backing up, the mechanism quickly clogs....you have to give them a push to get them to roll down & keep the outlet clear.
A bit disappointed with this.

EURO BUM BAG IN 8 GREAT COLOURS TOUGH TRAVEL PACK MONEY BELT BAG (Lime Green)
EURO BUM BAG IN 8 GREAT COLOURS TOUGH TRAVEL PACK MONEY BELT BAG (Lime Green)
Offered by TEAM SOUTH WEST Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 21 Jan 2014
Well-made, sturdy & good size. Just what I needed for all my bits & bobs when out walking the dogs. I'm sure it'll come in handy for hols too. Quick delivery, very happy.

Wilton 8 Icing Colour Gel Pack of 8
Wilton 8 Icing Colour Gel Pack of 8
Offered by Dream Cake Crafts

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 15 Dec 2012
Lovely range of colours, good quality. Impressed that the colours have no taste in my icing, & do not seem to stain my squeeze bottles, even when the coloured icing is kept in them for a couple of weeks, as liquid colours have in the past.
Great value for money, should last me ages :-)

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let-down. You get what you pay for....., 29 Nov 2012
Bought this at what seemed a fantastic price, however having had it for a few weeks, I've come to the conclusion that you get what you pay for....the only attatchment that works is the silicon-edged beater, & I can't fault this; have made some lovely cakes & biccies, but this is all it does as far as I can tell, hence the 3 star review.
Have tried the dough hook - useless, goes nowhere near the edges! Very disappointing, as I like making my own pizza bases & thought this might streamline the process a bit. The metal beater - what on earth is this for??? Also goes nowhere near the edges, so also useless! The whisk - again, useless, just doesn't reach round the bowl, & I had to resort to my good old hand whisk for meringue. The spatula that comes with the machine is lovely though....slight compensation for what has been a bit of a disappointing purchase.
For me, this is going to be a case of waiting to get a "proper" machine, & ultimately this one will be given the heave-ho as soon as I can justify getting a better one. It'll carry on doing the cakes until then, so not a total waste of money, but I'd advise you don't get it if you want a machine that does any more than this.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2013 10:05 AM BST

Colourworks 5-Piece Star Shaped Cookie Cutter Set
Colourworks 5-Piece Star Shaped Cookie Cutter Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for cookies....., 14 Nov 2012
This is a great set if you just want to use it for cookies, pastry or playdough, & I'd give it 5 stars for this - colourful & functional. The advantage of plastic is that they hold their shape better than metal, & are great for the kids to use.
I knocked a star off because although they are described as cookie cutters, not icing cutters, I was hoping the smaller sizes would work for icing cut-outs too, however the edge of the plastic just doesn't give a clean enough cut on icing. I'll probably still buy a small metal set too, to get a cleaner cut for my icing.

Kitchen Craft Colourwork Flower Cookie Cutters, Set of 6