Profile for Mr. D. A. Goy > Reviews

Paying Through the Nose and Other English Expressions
Paying Through the Nose and Other English Expressions
by Andrew Niccol

5.0 out of 5 stars Indeed, 29 Jun 2014
I notice that a new copy is available for 2487.07... excellent humour!

I read this book when I was 7 or 8, in a dentist's waiting room, and the memory has stayed with me for 30 years and no doubt helped pique an interest in language. Getting it as a gift for my better half (not a native speaker)

Moyshe Mcstiff and Tartan Lancers of the Sacred Heart
Moyshe Mcstiff and Tartan Lancers of the Sacred Heart
Offered by Stewybus

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the period (that I know of...), 20 Mar 2010
I can keep this one simple - if you enjoy British folk, particularly the darker, slightly psych / mysticism tinted stuff, you cannot go wrong with this.

COB made two records, this and Spirit of Love, and both are ...perfect! There is not one thing I'd change in either of them, it bears testament to the band's clarity of vision while clearly fitting the mood and preoccupations of the time (or so it seems, I wasn't around till '77...) and there is no self-indulgence. Whereas I find ISB hard-going, COB's music never has a note too many or an over-phrased lyric. 'Spirit' is a much simpler affair and is musically lighter; as the musicians say in the sleeve notes here, the harmonium and clarinets tend to unify the sound on Moyshe, creating an atmosphere like in an old, empty church.
It's important to point out that this sounds like three individual talents merging into one sound, it is not uniquely "Clive's band" other than in title, I imagine to cash in on the ISB connection - this was (manager) Jo Lustig's idea, of course. As was the slightly incongruous 'single'.

I don't think they come close, but for other good, lesser-known albums from this period, check Mellow Candle, Forest and Caedmon out, and Comus if you can handle the darkness. But along with Comus, this is the only one that gets six stars.

Quarantine The Past
Quarantine The Past

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, well-balanced comp, not for fans, 20 Mar 2010
This review is from: Quarantine The Past (Audio CD)
At least Domino are honest. This has been released to tie in with the tour, and I for one have no beef with my favourite band making a few bucks after the event. Hey, they even waited the 10 years promised, 'scool!

It's exactly what it says, an overview, and probably how the live set lists will look - I'd guess way too many crowd pleasers for the die-hard fans' liking and some real oddballs thrown in. A reviewer above moans at the lack of B-sides etc but we have Shoot the Singer from an EP (gorgeous) and Picket Fence, some freaky homage to REM from the No Alternative comp back in '92 or '93, heh. I think it has the right balance, the moods seem to flow well enough (I can hear this record without hearing it, ok!) and it ends on a freaky album track prog-out.

Of course, it's needless if you're a fan, and rather like the recent Radiohead Best-Of, they weren't a singles band so this is a little jarring for the long-termers. What it will do, hopefully, is lead to people spotting favourite tracks, finding that the albums have very clear personalities, and then going for one of the brilliant album re-releases, complete with all odds and ends from the same period.

As a final note, S&E's re-release ends with early Peel sessions and the Brixton '91 gig supporting Sonic Youth, and it's awesome. I'd say THAT's the Pavement that made people fall in love, a good insight to the early band and a logical progression from older, interesting and do-it-your-own-way bands like the Fall, Chrome (!), early Mary Chain, Zappa, and I think it's this that secures their place. Their contemporaries don't hold up in retrospect, and I don't think anyone's advanced further since.

Santa Barbara Honeymoon
Santa Barbara Honeymoon
Offered by jim-exselecky

1.0 out of 5 stars The first of a few "AVOID" Jansch albums..., 15 Mar 2010
This review is from: Santa Barbara Honeymoon (Audio CD)
I'm a huge Bert Jansch fan, and have just listened, open-mouthed, at the MP3 samplers on this again. It's horrendous.
If you're looking at this review, you'll already know of the man, and also that all of the albums from the debut in '65 to Rosemary Lane are solid gold. The 70s recordings need a bit more picking through - LA Turnaround is a recognised classic, and Avocet is an unusual, beautiful (instrumental) record, and Conundrum has many good moments. This however, is a failed recording in almost every sense. The first reviewer nails it so I won't repeat his comments, but the artist sounds uncomfortable, the production is bad, the extra music tinsel (steel drums and choir!!!?) and the relocation to the states for recording and possible career re-direction simply bizarre and ill-conceived. So, a stinker. What to do?
An option here is to look for the "River Recordings", actually a live show taped in Scotland in winter '73 I think. It has the stronger material from here and much of LA Turnaround played the proper Bert way - a voice and a guitar. The new ECDs largely give the best of both worlds, rather like having Nick Drake's 'Time of No Reply' as a companion piece to his first two albums ('The Blacksmith' from LA Turnaround has a fantastic, dark electric piano grinding away like later Led Zep, then once you hear the stripped-down version after it's distinctly British-rural and quite ethereal, giving us both the artist's vision and a consistent part of an album in terms of mood and texture). Fortunately I lack the completist gene so "River Recordings" stands in for this horror of an album, while "From the Outside" does hide in a drawer somewhere as a testament to the man's sheer will and gradual (musical) recovery.

Flying Teapot
Flying Teapot

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Sfine! Don't worry about the 1 star snobs, dig out an LP copy later if ya need to..., 29 Dec 2009
This review is from: Flying Teapot (Audio CD)
I have a different perspective than the other guys posting here, so maybe this'll help. I got the CD as like most, I don't have a turntable, and it's a brilliant album. I've also listened through the old LP as a couple of (less rabid) mates have it and yeah, it's better and noticeably different.

The ethics of messing with old recordings aside (yeah, I agree, never do it - remastering old stuff to suit modern sensibility is a pretty stupid move to say the least - at least leave the original mastering on the disc as a bonus so that it can be reprogrammed eh!) it's still fantastic and obviously, a necessary listen if you're new to Gong and want to hear the trilogy through in sequence.

I've had this CD a year, so why the review? Gong have recently toured and released an outrageously good new album, so if ever people are going to be digging around the classic period stuff it'll be now. It's all very well giving it 1 star (!!!) in a publication more suited to fiercely critical listeners, say Wire or Julian Cope's Head Heritage, but here on Amazon, the other reviews here are simply going to stop most people getting into Gong at all. Unless they're expected to buy vinyl playing equipment simply to get it right!

Enjoy a great album and if you really enjoy it, go get some nicked decks from Cash Converters and stroke that beard to yer hearts content.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2010 12:34 PM GMT