Profile for MR M G O'HANLON > Reviews

Adventures in Raspberry Pi
Adventures in Raspberry Pi
by Carrie Anne Philbin
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple intro's, great pull outs and some really fun projects, 26 Dec 2013
At 37 I'm not really the target audience for "Adventures in Raspberry Pi" and if I'm honest I got the book because I'd been told there was a reference to my blog in it, so confession over, I can honestly say "I loved this book".

The introductions to the Pi and getting started chapters are really informative and pitched at the right level and seem to give the right level of detail including the basics around navigating the Pi's default operating system including using the command line, installing apps and using the desktop.

I liked the way the projects guide you through from creating your first scratch program, programming Minecraft with python and using the GPIO to control electronics and connect to the 'real world'; each project leads on from the next, allowing the reader to achieve something along the way.

Throughout the book there are pull-outs called "Digging into the code", which describe in depth some of the more complex bits of the code, allowing those who are interested to know more but not confusing those who are still learning.

Something else I liked, which doesn't seem to be advertised, is the videos which go alongside the projects in the book, its a really great feature and I think people would find them really helpful.

From my perspective this is the best book out for getting young people started with and getting the most from their raspberry pi.