Profile for Little hair man > Reviews

Content by Little hair man

Little hair man (Switzerland)

Page: 1 | 2
Arrival of the Fittest: Solving Evolution's Greatest Puzzle
Arrival of the Fittest: Solving Evolution's Greatest Puzzle
by Andreas Wagner

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 23 Jan. 2015
It was hard work.

I've read quite a few books on evolution; they all focused on the organims themselves.

This book, however, starts earlier in the history and goes deeper. In other words, it examines the 'evolution' within enzymes and proteins. How do enzymes evolve (or is it proteins).

It is less spectacular than a bird's skeleton or a bat's ear. Those, one can see, picture , and, ultimately, understand. But proteins?

The chemistry is not detailed - good - but the concept remains abstract. I never was enthralled - no moment where I went 'yes, of course', or 'how fascinating'. Maybe my knowledge of chemistry is too limited? I never felt that my lack of formal training in physiognomy or paleontology was a handicap when reading about the evolution or organisms or animals, though.

Too abstract for me I'm afraid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2015 1:36 PM BST

Me, Inc.: Build an Army of One, Unleash Your Inner Rock God, Win in Life and Business
by Gene Simmons
Edition: Imitation Leather

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 2 Jan. 2015
I read an interview of Mr Simmons in a Sunday newspaper. It was interesting; an unapologetic defence of capitalism and hard work.

So I bought the book. Very disapponted. Hard goibg, too. I found that it was rather superficial, and the advice he gives is nothing special; work hard, don't live beyond your means, and don't be afraid to fail.

All very well, but not earth shattering.

In fact, the only selling point of the book is its author. Not much, then.

Rattleback Spinning Curiosity
Rattleback Spinning Curiosity
Offered by Grasshopper Toys

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the small print!, 5 Nov. 2014
... And read the description carefully.

The items are pretty amazing. However, the photo shows four sticklebacks. But you only get one. I wanted to stock up for Christmas, so ordered two - thinking I'd get eight. No, only two.

And the shipping to Switzerland is per item. So I paid nearly 20 pounds for shipping two pieces of plastic. In one padded envelope. It was mentioned in the Details, so I cannot complain. Next time, I'll read the small print.

Confessions of a Ghostwriter (The Confessions Series)
Confessions of a Ghostwriter (The Confessions Series)
by Andrew Crofts

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor. No confessions., 17 Sept. 2014
Poor. I'd read a sister publication, Confessions of a taxi driver, so I bought this one.

Not very good. I was hoping for a little scandal (after all, he did meet some relatively famous people), but there was none. And when he did mention some little tidbit, no names were given.

Further, no dark, hilarious or outrageous incidents are given. All very tame. And mostly little digressions, rather than tales.

Not very juicy.

The Theory That Would Not Die: How Bayes' Rule Cracked the Enigma Code, Hunted Down Russian Submarines, and Emerged Triumphant from
by Sharon Bertsch McGrayne

2.0 out of 5 stars Tough going., 26 Feb. 2013
I read this on holiday. It sounded interesting; I have a degree in Mathematics, and it is always interesting to see a different approach to a problem.

But it was a struggle. There are very little mathematics in the book, and most of what I remember is about squabbles between various 'schools' of thought. Difficult to understand what the real problem was; there are very few examples of the differences, and the examples of 'things that work' are not given a mathematical slant.

Quting too many equations can be overwhelming, but in this case, it would have helped. The famous equation is mentioned - on the last page!

Mick Jagger
Mick Jagger
by Philip Norman

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Mick Jagger (Hardcover)
I had read another biography a couple of months ago; Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger. It was really disappointing (not very detailed, focused on Mick's women, nothing on the Stones).

This one is way better. It is a daunting read (600 pages), but it reads itself. It is well written, obviously well researched, and has a good mix of tittle-tattle (his sex life), social history (his drug busts), Stones stories (the organisation of the tours, the genesis of the songs, the musicians), and background (their first clubs and playlists, with reasons).

All in all, very satisfying.

(I wish I had led his life!)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2013 8:15 AM BST

Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger
Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger
by Christopher P. Andersen

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the rock 'n roll?, 27 Sept. 2012
I was looking forward to this read on the beach on my holidays. It rained, but that was not the main disappointment.

I have no objection to a little tittle tattle about a rock god, but this book is way over the top. Maybe Mick Jagger has slept with 4000 women (and boy is it difficult to keep up witht he few who are mentioned by name), but he is known primarliy for his career with the Rolling Stones. And this book delvers very little on that front.

I am no lover of detail - I wouldn't know the difference bewteen a Fender and a Stratocaster - but a book on Mick Jagger must include something about the music and the touring. A minimum effort at the very least. And there is close to nothing: who wrote what, when, how? Who decided what, why? What were the choices with regard to arrangements, producers, musicians, etc. Nothing.

Disappointing.

Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD]
Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joan Rivers

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a show!, 3 Jun. 2012
I give it only 3 stars.

My mistake, really. I was expecting a show, but this DVD is a documentary about Joan's life (a year in the life of). Quie well done, but not what I was expecting.

It does contain a few snippets of her shows, but very little.

Swanlights
Swanlights

1.0 out of 5 stars Ouch, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Swanlights (Audio CD)
Well, what can I say?

I liked the first album (I am a Bird), and bought this opus because A and the J were quite different to the other pop musicians around. But, Boy, is it different! And difficult.

There are hardly any melodies. It grates. It sounds like an 'experiment'. Doodles with a recorder.

I mean, really painful to listen to.

The next morning I left the CD on the train. Maybe someone more... modern? than me will enjoy it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2011 7:41 PM GMT

Crimes Against Logic: Exposing the Bogus Arguments of Politicians, Priests, Journalists, and Other Serial Offenders
by Jamie Whyte

4.0 out of 5 stars I was going to say!, 6 May 2009
I logged on specially to make this review.

Someone beat me to it: yes, this is the US version of "Bad Thoughts: A Guide to Clear Thinking".

I started reading "Crimes" and thought the arguments were familiar. I checked with my copy of "Bad Thoughts" and saw that, yes, the two books are the same (practically) (a few tweaks: "outraged of Hampstead" becomes "Outraged of London" in the US version).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2010 10:46 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2