Profile for em > Reviews

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
by Lisa See

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful story, 21 Oct. 2011
I couldn't put this story down, it is a story about the relationship between girls, then women and how people an grow apart but still love one another. What is really beautiful about the writing of this book is that it leads the reader to think of happenings in Lily and Snow Flowers lives through the lens of their traditional cultural beliefs, which neither character ever questions. The first half of the story is fascinating and for the most part, uplifting. In the second half, what would otherwise be a tragedy becomes a heart warming story as Lily is able to seek redemption for wrongs committed against the dead through reference to the tradition and religion of the interesting and isolated Yao people.

Incase anyone didn't know, here is now a brilliant film version of this story (though admittedly the story has been significantly adapted for the big screen).

The Chronicles of Narnia
The Chronicles of Narnia
by C. S. Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, but the books are not in the order in which they were published, 13 April 2011
I am really enjoying the chronicles of narnia movies and so bought this book to remind myself of the stories. The book is good quality and has the original images. I wouldn't recommend it for kids as its intimidatingly massive as a single volume. The stories are in some sort of chronological order though, rather than in the order that I originally read them, which was the order in which they were published. All in all I'm happy with the purchase.

Refresher in Basic Mathematics
Refresher in Basic Mathematics
by Nick Rowe

4.0 out of 5 stars tiny cd, 2 Feb. 2011
I was advised to get this book by my careers advisor to practice for employers numerical tests, but the cd is one of the small ones which cannot be used on mac laptops. Can someone tell me if it is worth the money anyway? Or can I download the cds content on someone elses computer and e-mail it to myself?

Eastpak Padded Pak Backpack Florid All
Eastpak Padded Pak Backpack Florid All
Price: £17.96 - £61.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy and useful, 20 Dec. 2010
I've had my last east pack bag for 6 years and travelled around the world with it. It could deal with the heavy loads and served me really well. It finally gave up this year, but I'm buying a new one. I feel in no way cheated.

Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Digital Camera - Silver (9.0MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

3.0 out of 5 stars too big!, 10 July 2010
Don't get me wrong, its easy to use and everything works, but its so big in comparison to other cameras you can get today. I even had problems finding a case for it because they don't sell any in boots and jesops that are big enough. it doesn't fit well in a handbag and would never fit in a pocket like my old one used to. Its size makes it less convenient for travelling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2010 10:04 AM BST