Profile for mudplugger > Reviews

Content by mudplugger

mudplugger

3" Glass Golf Ball Trophy Award with FREE Engraving up to 30 Letters Complete with Presentation Case JR2-GO50
Offered by Lapal Dimension
Price: 16.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, 20 Sep 2013
Bought this as an inter-family trophy. To our surprise it actually looks much better than expected, given the small price tag. The engraving is exactly as we wished it to be, with well proportioned lettering perfectly laid out over three lines - and only 36 hours from order to delivery. Totally chuffed!

The Penguin Dictionary of English Idioms (4,000+ Idioms) (Penguin Reference Books)
by David Hinds-Howell
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Dictionary of English Idioms, 7 April 2012
I am fascinated by languages and the use of idioms and colloquiums, and in particular how they came about. To that end, this book was a disappointment, as the origins of many idioms have not been explained, for example: "Pig in a poke". This saying was born in medieval times, where some "fly-by-night" market traders would display healthy little piglets, which could be purchased and carried home in a bag (poke) "kindly" provided by the vendor. However, whilst the customer was distracted, the wily trader would stuff a worthless cat into the bag. The tort was not discovered until such time as the unfortunate purchaser returned home; when the cat was let out of the bag! The book does go some way towards explaining the origin of pig in a poke, but for some reason fails link it with letting the cat out of the bag.

Swann Anti-Flood Alarm
Swann Anti-Flood Alarm

5.0 out of 5 stars Swan SW351 Anti Flood Alarm, 16 Dec 2011
This household does its laundry overnight in order to make full use of our economy 7 tariff. Last July whilst the washing machine was chugging away a water hose burst and proceeded to flood the whole ground floor, whist we slumbered on oblivious to the six-room "swimming pool" that was forming below! On the plus side we were adequately insured; however, after three weeks of bare floors, together with the obstacle course and din of space heaters, dehumidifiers and air movers, I personally was ready to open a vein! Happily all is well now, but I still worried about recurrence, until, that is, I found the Swan SW351 Anti Flood Alarm. It works every time on test (wet finger across the two probes) and the siren would wake the dead. This little alarm is a truly excellent piece of kit that assures this family of a good night's sleep.

Hi-Tec Sports Men's Kruger WP Hiking Boot
Hi-Tec Sports Men's Kruger WP Hiking Boot

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi-Tec Sports Kruger WP Hiking Boots, 31 July 2010
These boots arrived yesterday on schedule. Today I wore them out in the rain and mud (I live on a farm), after which I gave them a good hosing down to clean off the yuk. Took 'em off - dry socks, dry feet. Good kit. My previous pair of Hi-Tec boots lasted me for 10 or 12 years (can't rember, I bought them so long ago). The soles look almost new (but I do spend most my time walking in mud and slurry), the uppers look old but have not cracked and the seams (stitched or glued) remain intact. I retired them bacause they are wearing out from the INSIDE.