Profile for Enthusiast > Reviews

Content by Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Microsoft Office 365 University 4-year Subscription (Student Validation Required)  [Download]
Microsoft Office 365 University 4-year Subscription (Student Validation Required) [Download]

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting to really like it a lot; can be easily customized, 4 Jun 2014
I bought this direct from Microsoft site, but the same product. Microsoft confirmed that, though I might not be a student for more than another year, I will still be able to use this for the next 4 years. A very good deal really.

The only real problem I had was the circular response I got after my college validation was accepted - a button read press to continue (or similar) but when pressed each time brought me back to the message that my validation was accepted, press to continue!

I closed this window and when I re-opened the ordering window it seemed it had gotten the message and I was able to proceed ok!

A couple of years ago I did have a 30 day trial version of Office 2010, but I hated its user interface and reverted to my beloved Office 2003.

Now with 2003 no longer supported, or safe, I got 2013. I had a lot of misgivings, especially after so many online commenters said you cannot customize the toolbars, you have to click 4 times to open Autocorrects etc. etc. etc.

But I have found that I can easily customize, as follows:

(in Word) right click a tab (File, Home etc) and select Customize the Ribbon
Choose commands from : All Commands (in drop menu)
Select whichever tool you want on the toolbar
go to the right-hand list and select a main tab then a group, click add, and the tool will be added to that tab/group
or, on the right click new tab, new group, and add tool there, rename the tab
if needs be, select the new tab and use the arrow buttons on the right of this window to move the tab where you want it on the ribbon.

Note that whichever tab is on the left of the ribbon (just to the right of FILE to be exact) will be the default and will open when you start Word, and so your favourite tools will be ready to click.
I created a new tab and named it My Tools and moved it left, and have started placing my most-used tools there.

In theory you could replicate all the menus of 2003, as well as keeping the default 2013 ones - best of both worlds.

I've done some of these changes in Excel, and Outlook, so it seems to be a common facility.

There is also the Quick Access Toolbar which runs across the top and is equally customizable, so you could just use that instead, though the buttons are quite small.

Apart from all that, Office 2013 download automatically loaded all my Autocorrects from 2003, which I wasn't expecting.

Overall I'm getting to really like it.
The Outlook Calendar is very nice for my needs.
Excel has some nice tools I never noticed on 2003.
Powerpoint looks (to me so far) much the same as 2003, but I've only used it once.
That's all I've used.

There is a Cloud service by which you can access your files anywhere, but I suppose so can youN-knowS-whoA, and I believe privacy is a pillar of democracy. Anyway, I don't use Cloud.

My only problem, (if anyone is still reading this far!) is I do have another computer with 2013 on it, and so far have failed to find a way of migrating my autocorrects to it! I did find an .acl file, but not one which has user-added corrections.

I have deducted a star only because of the look- the ribbon looks very bland, no colour fill, rather cheap-looking in fact, especially compared with 2003.

PS: why did I not go for LibreOffice? I did download it, it looks great, but I needed a Calendar for organizing, and LO doesn't have one. I also found its spreadsheet kept dragging a series down, rather than the same number, but maybe that's customizable. But if you're looking for a good Office suite definitely try LibreOffice for a while - it's free.

Update:
I am now finding an amazing array of formatting tools on Office 365 University and the developers have clearly put a huge amount of work into this, so it really does deserve 5 stars. Never mind the bland ribbon, the colour goes into your documents.

Kundun [DVD] [1998]
Kundun [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Tenzin Thuthob Tsarong

5.0 out of 5 stars A great film, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Kundun [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
"With all respect sir, may I ask, who are you?"

"What you see before you is a man, a simple monk."

"Are you the Lord Buddha?"

"I think I am a reflection like the moon on water.
When you see me, and I try to be a good man, you see yourself".

Watching this deep and reflective film, it's hard to remember it is by the director of Goodfellas, Casino. Scorcese seems to use a light touch throughout, as if the story itself is strong enough to carry it.

Watching a wise and loving leader the Dalai Lama, it's hard to stomach the corrupt shifty crooks most of us elect as leaders.

But hope springs eternal.

Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten [DVD]
Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Apart from Bono's hypocracy ................., 30 Sep 2013
I was never really a Clash fan, but I really like this film. I agree there's too much mythologizing, but that seems usual when dealing with deceased performers.

But I have to say Bono talking about integrity is hard to stomach, viz. his tax exile status and the war criminals he hangs out with. One star deducted for that.

Still very worth watching - music and cultural history - but finger on the fast forward!

BRITAIN'S FIRST PHOTO ALBUM WITH John Sergeant [DVD]
BRITAIN'S FIRST PHOTO ALBUM WITH John Sergeant [DVD]
Offered by rsdvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant and interesting enough..........., 22 Sep 2013
At the asking price of £9.50 for 4 hours entertainment I would say this is good value.

It seems to follow the format of Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys closely, in this series using the device of a 19th century photographer's collection to provide a scene for each episode, comparing then and now.

While I find the presenter John Sergeant very likeable I don't think this series works as well as the Portillo one. But given the high regard in which Great British Railway Journeys is held that is no damning criticism and Sergeant's series offers pleasant and interesting viewing. I will watch my own copy again some time.

La Bete Humaine [DVD]
La Bete Humaine [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean Gabin

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked the railway scenes........, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: La Bete Humaine [DVD] (DVD)
Tastes vary, so I can only give my own impressions.

I did like the railway scenes, with some beautiful shots of express passenger locos at work and at rest, and the beautifully portrayed railway itself. Worth buying for this alone. The actions of the loco crew seemed credible and realistic. Also the snatches of conversation involving other railway workers seemed realistic.

I can't say I found the film's portrayal of events very convincing, with some irritating scenes - like in the rail yard where the would-be happy couple make no serious attempt at concealment, and the dropping of the iron bar does not result in any reaction from the patrolling person. From a psychological perspective, the out-of-character sudden turns of the Gabin character look rather corny by modern standards and don't lend the story any coherence.

This is recommended for lovers of railways and cinema of the 1930s. But I would hardly think it is one of the greatest films ever made.

Body Double [DVD]
Body Double [DVD]
Dvd ~ Craig Wasson

3.0 out of 5 stars not Hitchcock, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Body Double [DVD] (DVD)
This film is not great, but OK.

It is clearly a pastiche of Hitchcocks Vertigo, and there are also some references to the former director, not least the casting of Melanie Griffith, daughter of Tippi Hedren who starred in The Birds and Marnie.

And Griffith's character asks for a Jack Daniels (she starred with Jeff Daniels in Something Wild, or am I reading too much into that?). No doubt there may be more references which I missed.

Don't expect too much and you might get some entertainment from it. Watch Vertigo first, if you haven't seen it - it's Shakespeare to this tv sit-com.

Le Beau Mariage [1982] [DVD]
Le Beau Mariage [1982] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Béatrice Romand
Offered by UK_Media_Offers

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Le Beau Mariage [1982] [DVD] (DVD)
I like most Rohmer films, but I found this one difficult to enjoy. The central character is Sabine, who we are to believe is 25 and a few weeks from her deadline to hand in her MA thesis, and she also has a day job. Yet she has lots of time to swan around and chase after a man who no longer shows her any interest and is clearly avoiding her. We never see her fretting over her thesis. Anyway, apart from all that she is like a 14 year-old, a rather silly one at that.

If you are considering a Rohmer film for the first time, I can recommend My Night At Maud's, or The Green Ray, or A Summer's Tale to start with, each of which I've watched a few times.

Bringing Out the Dead [DVD] [2000]
Bringing Out the Dead [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Relentless suffering ........., 25 Jan 2013
I'm giving this 3 stars, as, for what it is, it is well made mostly, but I don't think up to Scorcese's usual standard.

The pain and suffering was a bit too relentless, though I am not against being shown what many of our unfortunate fellows have to suffer. But the main character Frank's reaction to it all seemed a bit too uneven and incoherant at times, though again maybe that's how it is for some. I just found it hard to engage with him.

It had some good episodes, and I watched all 2 hours of it, to see how the story turned out, and Patricia Arquette is always good to watch. But I didn't find it entertaining, if that's what you're expecting.

Stars And Topsoil: A Collection (1982-1990)
Stars And Topsoil: A Collection (1982-1990)
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced, 24 Jan 2013
Yes, I'm one of those Cocteau Twins virgins. (What on earth was I doing in the 80s?).

I've just had this a few days but I've played nothing else. I like some tracks more than others, but it's superb music overall, well recommended.

After The Wedding [DVD] [2007]
After The Wedding [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 29 Dec 2012
What can I say? I can't even agree with the 2 star review, I simply couldn't find anything enjoyable in this film. I felt it was put together in a rather amateurish way, seeking for a feeling of profundity in each scene.

The plot is rather improbable, and in any event has a ho-hum, so what, feel to it. Maybe it gets a lot more interesting in the second half, but I'm not curious enough to find out - I switched off after about 50 minutes.

Being so out of step with the other reviewers, I will add that I don't have any problem with subtitled films, I have loved many French films (Rohmer, Ozon etc) and Bergman, etc.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2013 1:43 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4