Profile for Brian > Reviews

Content by Brian

Brian (Wills Point, Texas)

Touching Godliness
Touching Godliness

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive book on godliness, 12 July 2013
I had read a lot of books on the Christian walk, and when I first heard that KP Yohannan was writing this book, I was surprised. However,I will never forget the first time I read this book... I say first time because I have read it multiple times.

There are so many books that talk about "Christian growth" but the majority of them seem more like Self-help books wrapped in Christianese. On the other hand, some authors write about spirituality in such a way that it is heady and can't be put into the action. Touching Godliness is neither of these.

The book cuts through all the noise and fluff about what it means to know the Lord and is both theologically deep as well as extremely practical. KP Yohannan communicates the principles of godliness from the Bible in his normal easy-to-read fashion that enables the reader to come to a rich and exciting understanding of what it means to walk with the Lord. He also makes it so practical that the reader can apply many of the principles quickly after reading it.

However, the reality is that this book is one that lays out a standard that can never be reached and will take a lifetime of pursuit. That reality is found in Jesus Christ, Himself, and Brother KP gives numerous examples of this pursuit from the characters in the Bible and his own experience.

Lastly, I think this book is so powerful because the author lives out the message that he preaches.

The Thank You Economy (Enhanced Edition)
The Thank You Economy (Enhanced Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Grasping the not so-obvious, 31 Aug. 2011
I loved this book. Most social media books give a hum-drum of social media history and tell you much of the same things that everyone else tells you. There's some differentiation, but after reading Gary's book, I think they really miss the point.

Gary Vaynerchuk seems to have a real grasp on the real trend of what's happening in the social media revolution. The best advice I've ever received is regarding change is to ignore the technology and understand the fundamental human need that's being met. Gary does this. Social media is a way for us to engage and not just find another media to spam people with our messaging and advertising, and that's the heart of the message of this book - as I understand it.

People aren't stupid, and they don't care what you say about yourself; they want proof that what's on the label is real. No amount of hype will do this. Engagement and content will. True service, not lip service. Social media gives us the platform to value people as people, to let people see what we're really all about, and to spread the word about it.

But Gary goes further and gives you strong examples of how to combine social media with other means to create strategies that have true impact on those you're trying to reach and on what you want to accomplish. While the book doesn't have the step-by-step methodology that some want; if it did, we'd lose the essence of substance and transparency that is the heart of what social media is all about.