Profile for N. Crump > Reviews

Content by N. Crump

N. Crump (Fuerteventura, Canarias)

The Warning (A Sarah Roberts Thriller, Book 2)
The Warning (A Sarah Roberts Thriller, Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Roberts - my new favourite heroine!, 30 Jun. 2013
I was browsing through my thrillers reading list on my kindle looking for some thing refreshing, exciting and quick to immerse and came across the intriguingly entitled The Warning, which I had downloaded some months earlier by an author called Jonas Saul, who I'd not come across before, but had come recommended via goodreads. How delighted I was to find not only all three criteria immediately taken care of, but also a truly engaging heroine, who has a 'secret power' that is just genius with a personality which beckons the reader to learn more. Her dialogue which is engagingly world-weary, brave and vulnerable all at once and enough of an enigma to proclaim her worthy subject of many more books. Its breathlessly fast paced and I cannot wait to see this made into a tv series as it definitely should be. I realised a third of the way through that this is actually the second in the series so am very much looking forward to going back and reading the first and continuing to follow Sarah's adventures in the sequels. As some reviewers have mentioned it has an appeal to the young adult audience but I think it's sufficiently complex, diverse and thrilling enough to cater to the more mature adult (if I can call myself that!) and definitely not lacking in violence and revenge in pleasing measures.

I note another reviewer has commented on the recurrence of quite a few errors and I will agree that it did need some extra proof reading, which is the only reason I have given it 4 stars instead of 5.

1,000 Creative Writing Prompts for Holidays: Festive Ideas for Blogs, Scripts, Stories and More (Story Prompts for Journaling, Blogging and Beating Writer's Block Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide for young people and teachers to writing, 17 Dec. 2012
This guide is packed as full as it promises of excellent prompts focused around holidays. It begins with the really encouraging introduction as a motivating starting point for writers:
"When you use a memory or an emotion to wrote from, it helps you to feel like you aren't starting from scratch. There are thousands of stories already in your brain and many of these prompts are attempts to jog your memory and to use your brain for all its worth...If you say over and over again that you aren't qualified enough to be a will fulfil your own (kind of boring) prophecy". And of course the reverse is also true.

This book would be an excellent teacher's companion for helping children and young adults think about the holidays they participate in and those that their school mates from different cultures enjoy, as well as stimulate thinking about history, geography and society alongside politics in an empathetic manner. The questions are really geared towards children rather than adults and it is based around American holidays, most of which as a Brit I am not personally familiar, but it was interesting to see an approachable read that could help kids with essay writing and some creative writing.

The Darkness II - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
The Darkness II - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by mikes_store

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, 26 Mar. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The Darkness 2 is as easy and graphically violent as the first one. Very story driven and some nice twists. I've given it 4 stars like another reviewer because it really is quite short and the extra vendetta parts of the game don't really make up for that - I'd rather have extended main plot play than extra side games which don't advance this. It is short enough to play over a couple of evenings quite comfortably. However it was entertaining enough for me to replay it 4 times just to make sure I got all the collectibles which have great stories behind each of them. A really good game - just a shame it wasn't longer although had I played on the hardest level as a Don I might have found it more challenging.

Nine Lives [DVD]
Nine Lives [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paris Hilton
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of one of my 3 dvd rentals for this month!, 13 April 2006
This review is from: Nine Lives [DVD] (DVD)
Its rare that I am moved to put a review here but I feel duty bound to warn unsuspecting horror fans against wasting their time with this movie. Its only worth watching if you really like Paris Hilton and even then you can stop watching after the first 20 minutes. This honestly is fine for small children to watc - I would rate it PG - I've seen scarier Poirot Episodes on ITV!

Its run of the mill to begin with and mildly diverting - it has promise which is why I gave it 2 instead of 1 star, but it just gets worse and worse. I supoose it can't have helped that the director who was alos the writer is only 13 (well thats how old he looks and sounds in the rather rubbish extras you get on this dvd)

A Prayer For Owen Meany
A Prayer For Owen Meany
by John Irving

5.0 out of 5 stars Weeping for Owen Meany, 15 May 2003
I've just this minute finished Owen Meany and I my eyes are filled with tears. So much is already said about this book. I will simply say that I was impatient through the book, although I enjoyed it, because I didn't understand where it was going. I should have understood all the time that Owen was speaking to me, the reader, as much as to John in saying that "A LITTLE FAITH IS NEEDED".
I perservered (and really it wasn't such a difficult task) and at the end was the reward which was unbelieavbly moving. The most touching story I've ever read - just so emotionally and spiritually big, but accessible. Maybe that was the point. Don't let your impatience get the better of you, treasure every page like you would each moment of your growing child - because the end comes all too soon.
Reaching the conclusion is an epiphany in itself, but its a book full of revelations about humanity and God even to the hardened atheist, the most unsentimental or even the driven agnostic like me. It was a privledge.