Profile for Isabella > Reviews

Isabella (Somerset, UK)

No Highway
No Highway

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb writing, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: No Highway (Kindle Edition)
I've given this book 5 stars for the clarity of the writing, for the fascinating story and the really well crafted characters. I'd forgotten how good Nevil Shute was. Really enjoyable non-putdownable read.

Complete Swahili: Teach Yourself (Teach Yourself Complete)
Complete Swahili: Teach Yourself (Teach Yourself Complete)
by Joan Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 4 Oct 2013
My son is using the book when he's in Africa. He says it's great - easy to read and understand.

Leopet® HERE01 Dog Ramp Extendable Folding Pet Access Ramps for Car Boot - Extends from approx. 99 cm up to 176 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of equipment, 1 Sep 2013
It is very well made, consequently slightly heavy but I can manage it. The black could do with being a bit grippier, but the wood slats make up for it. Our dog is getting used to it and it certainly fits the car - the slope is good. Arrived very promptly.

Excellent Women (VMC)
Excellent Women (VMC)
by Barbara Pym

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Excellent Women (VMC) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this glimpse into another time, another life. The writing is superb and the characters very compelling. It's not exciting - it's just a lovely description of life.

The Water-Babies
The Water-Babies

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Water-Babies (Kindle Edition)
I read this for book club and didn't expect to enjoy it, however it's fascinating. Lots about evolution, educating and discipline children and saving the creatures on our planet. It's very whimsical. I need my old english teacher to help me understand all the references......!

Sun at Midnight
Sun at Midnight

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable and unusual read, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Kindle Edition)
I cared what happened to all the people in the story and always think that is what makes a great read. I hate the cold but it was fascinating to read about Antartica - I'm not surprised that she spent time there as the descriptions of the snow and ice are amazing. The story itself is a bit predictable but I still really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. The setting makes this a really different book. Well worth a read.

State of Wonder
State of Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: State of Wonder (Kindle Edition)
Extremely well written - I cared about all the characters and believed I was in the jungle. So sad it's finished.

Cool, Calm, Confident: A Workbook to Help Kids Learn Assertiveness Skills (Instant Help)
by Lisa M. Schab

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 17 Sep 2009
I have been running a short series of Assertiveness 'courses' using role play, for a mixed ages group of children. This book is invaluable and gave me plenty of ideas.