Profile for rémi > Reviews

Content by rémi

rémi

Casio Pro-Trek Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue - Digital Display and Black Resin Strap PRG-550-1A4ER
Offered by TONEWATCH S.A.

4.0 out of 5 stars good altimeter, 11 Dec. 2013
a very nice watch
I bought it for the altimeter when I go flying (powered paraglider) and everyday watch
the altimeter is fairly accurate (+/- 10m) and does not need to be calibrated too often (in slow weather changes, I usually have to ad or substract about 5/10 metres every week or so)
a bit of a shame that there is no indication of vertical speed (climb rate) like on the SUUNTO watches, thus the 4 stars, not 5...
I was a bit worried that it would be too big and uncomfortable for everyday use, but it actually sits quite nicely on the wrist (for comparison, my wrist is about 65mm wide and I set it on the 5th hole out of 12)
the alarm only rings for 10 seconds (not modifiable) which may be a bit short for heavy sleepers...
I recommend to read the user manual (or at least the specs on F-89) before buying:
[...]

The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon
The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon
by Gideon Defoe

1.0 out of 5 stars could have been a nice book, 22 July 2013
I haven't read any of the other Pirates books, but having watched the film (with scientists), I thought I'd give it a try...
My feeling is that although the idea is very good, and could have led to many comical situations, anachronisms and funny references to actual historical facts, well, it doesn't.
The author has sadly - and very obviously - done absolutely no research on Saint Helena or Napoleon's time on the island.
Of course this is not a history book.
But wouldn't it have been more entertaining, had it been more than just a list of clichés?
By the way, the people of Saint Helena are called "Saint Helenians" or "Saints", not "Saint Helenites", Mr Defoe.
I would know: that's where I live.