Profile for Gillyanne Kayes > Reviews

Singing and the Actor
Singing and the Actor
by Gillyanne Kayes

4.0 out of 5 stars Author's thoughts 13 years on, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Singing and the Actor (Paperback)
Successful Singing AuditionsBelting Explained!Constriction and Release - the techniquesNasality and the Soft PalateVoicebox Videos [DVD]Gillyanne here. It's great to see the book still thriving and readers getting a lot out of it - very satisfying. I see some people have mentioned the Singing and the Actor Audio Guide CD that I made to go with the book. Currently it's out of stock but I'm planning to revive this resource in a different format so please look out for it on my website [...]

The work described in my book is in use by trainers from many different pedagogical backgrounds, which is absolutely as it should be. I would like to correct some statements in the reviews here about 'only' being able to learn the work written about in my book with a 'licensed Estill trainer'. As as a former Estill Vanguard Trainer myself I can categorically say that these statements are nonsense and perhaps written in well-meaning ignorance. Information about vocal anatomy and physiology used in the book is available from many mainstream academic sources - I distilled it in a way that I thought would be understandable and applicable for actors, musical theatre singers, and their teachers. As a teacher and pedagogue, I adapted exercises from many sources for the book, including Estill, Chapman, Bunch and others, and synthesized them with my own exercises which I'd developed over decades of teaching actors to sing. I often come across other teachers who have adapted the exercises in my book to their own teaching situations, and I appreciate the different insights that this gives me of my original work.

You can learn more about how the Singing and the Actor work has developed from the numerous articles on my own website [...] from our online training webinars [...] and, of course, in person with me on the Singing and the Actor Training Retreat. There are also a number of training DVDs that we made with footage from the SATA Training course, available here on Amazon and also direct from the VP website.