Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Danny" (Sheffield UK)

Page: 1 | 2
LAURA 119x59cm Baby Travel Cot Mattress : British Made With High Grade Density Foam CMHR28
Offered by BABY best BUYS

5.0 out of 5 stars great travel mattress, 19 April 2011
The mattress is the size as specified and I imagine it is nice and comfortable for my baby, as it has a similar feel to her actual cot mattress and she slept well on it for 3 weeks. We used this mattress with a hauck winnie the pooh travel cot which had a hard base mainly to give support and allow the cot to be used as play pen later on in life. If you wish to use a travel cot I would recommend this mattress for your babies comfort.

Avatar (DVD + Blu-ray)
Avatar (DVD + Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Sam Worthington
Offered by wantitcheaper

2.0 out of 5 stars the great movie from the cinema but no bonus features at all!!!, 27 April 2010
This review is from: Avatar (DVD + Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I am quite angry at Amazon because when I pre-ordered this the product description was "2 disc blu-ray", there was no mention of blu+DVD which is what I got. I thought it would be 2 blu-ray discs one with special features but now they have changed the description to what it actually is. Very poor Amazon. The movie is great as I would expect you all know, but for all those who want special features of behind the scenes footage etc you will be very disappointed as there are none what so ever.

Destroyer of Worlds: Kingdom of the Serpent: Book 3: Destroyer of Worlds Bk. 3 (Gollancz)
by Mark Chadbourn

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 6 Nov. 2009
The 9th and final book in the series, I was desperately hoping for it to be wonderfully fantastic like the first 7 however I found this and the 8th book (the burning man) hard to read, it just felt like it was written in a different style from the first 7 books and I found it increasingly difficult to get into.

It often felt like I was being brain washed by a hippie, not being told a fantastic story where I used to care so much about the characters. I kept catching myself thinking 'If I read some one say "its all in the weave and the weft", "there are repeating patterns" or "we are part of something much larger" I am going to scream' these kinds of quotes typically from Shavi and Church I just felt these kinds of preachy lines used all too often and I was being smacked over the head with them until I was 'convinced' this was the way the world was.

I would have given this book 1 or 2 stars I only gave it 3 due to it being the last book in what should have been my favourite fantasy series I have ever read. It was certainly looking that way for the first 7 books but unfortunately it lost it for me with 8 and 9. I didnt particularly care about the characters any more I was just reading it so I had finished it, not for pleasure, which is a great shame.

Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2008
Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2008
by Ivor Horton

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 6 Nov. 2009
Not the best book for learning core C++ syntax from, I would recommend herbert schildt's "C++ a beginners guide" to be your first book if you know nothing about programming. However this book does cover a lot more including the use of visual studio 2008 which is an industry standard and so important to be familiar with. It also covers C++/CLI which is the new extension of C++ and it covers the STL, MFCs and winforms which are very relevant to windows programming.

I would recommend this book to anyone who already knows a bit about standard c++ syntax and needs to know about the use of visual studio 2008 and wanting to create windows applications. It is well written and the information is given clearly and concisely. I personally think that for a pure beginner this book may be too much to take in in one go, I skip all the C++/CLI material as it is not something I need yet and would probably only serve to confuse me at the moment, but its nice to know I have a reference book should I need to use it in the future.

A good book for revising core c++ material and learning the use of visual studio, MFC's and winforms (and C++/CLI if you want it).

Folie à Deux
Folie à Deux

5.0 out of 5 stars best fall out boy album, 5 July 2009
This review is from: Folie à Deux (MP3 Download)
I only recently became a fan of fall out boy but each album they have produced shows they have grown as musicians and song writers, Folie a Deux is my favourite album the songs are written very well and the production is perfect. This album stands out by far as the best album they have ever made so far, definately a good place to start if you are new to fall out boy.

C++: A Beginner's Guide, Second Edition
C++: A Beginner's Guide, Second Edition
by Herbert Schildt

5.0 out of 5 stars ++C, 19 Jun. 2009
A great book for absolute beginners like myself, it can often feel laborious learning c++ for some one who knows nothing about programming at all but if you are serious about learning and you want to be taught properly I would recommend this book. You will need to have strong determination to see it through but I dont think it is the book that makes it laborious it is just the subject matter which is difficult for new comers, the book itself I feel, certain now after finishing it, has made it much more accessible.

It gives a thorough overview of the basic concepts of programming with c++ that will stand you in good stead to becoming a GOOD programmer. I stress the word GOOD because there is a vast difference between being a good programmer and some one who can just program. You need other people to be able to read your code quickly and clearly and be able to make changes if they want to, without spending weeks going through a poorly written program whether it actually works or not. To become a good programmer it is all about habits and probably one of the best aspects of this book is that it never shows you any bad habits so you are not likely to pick any up. All of the example codes are always very clearly laid out and easy to read which will make your own program writing style likewise, which means you will be a GOOD programmer.

Besides form forming good habits which for me is the most important aspect the second is having a solid grasp on the very basics of c++ (and general programming) concepts like variables, data types, arrays, pointers, control statements(loops) ,etc, etc.

For these reasons I must give the book 5 stars, apart from the book all you need to become a good programmer is determination to learn this difficult subject.

Hope this was helpful, Happy programming.

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (PS3)
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (PS3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor show, 13 Jun. 2009
I saw vids of this online and thought it looked good but I was brutally disapointed when I finally got it, I sold it within 48hrs of getting it. As a stand alone game it doesnt really carry much in the way of anything except perhaps the graphics on certain cut scenes, I found the game terribly slow to get going to the point were it just didnt at all and the fighting didnt really feel like I was doing anything you hit 1 or 2 buttons and then theres a long cut scene where naruto executes some great looking move but you dont really have to do anything, for people who are just gaming fans this isnt a good buy but probably is for people who are already big big fans of the naruto brand.

Binary 240 Cd DVD Carry case Leather Stlye Look
Binary 240 Cd DVD Carry case Leather Stlye Look
Offered by Media Replication

1.0 out of 5 stars poor cd case, 13 Jun. 2009
It looks cheap and tacky, and the wallet sleeves or pages often slip out of the ring binders which can be the cause of much annoyance, I strongly recommend Caselogic Nylon CD Wallet 280 capacity It looks smart and it keeps a steady strong hold on your cd's not like this Neo one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2011 5:06 PM BST

Days Of Darkness
Days Of Darkness

4.0 out of 5 stars heavy metal at its heaviest, 13 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Days Of Darkness (Audio CD)
Not a great deal to say about this other than if you like metal and you like it heavy, you cant really go wrong with Testament. This is a great buy, 2 disks I believe disk 2 is a re-release of one of their older albums which is good but for me its the new songs on the first disc that really make you want to smash your fist (in the best possible way of course) very fast riffing very heavy guitar tone, thundering drums, awesome gutteral(ish) vocals, its all here.

Red Faction: Guerrilla (PS3)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (PS3)
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Red Faction Guerilla - PS3, perfection, 13 Jun. 2009
I recently reviewed Prototype for the ps3 and compared it with this game as they are both 3rd person free roaming games so I thought I had better post a review on here for completeness. As a simple statement I would just say this game is fantastic.
For me the level of realism in the environment is what matters most, that includes physics and bot A.I which in this game are both done perfectly or as close as can be expected.
The ability to destroy entire buildings is simply superb, it isn't bodged or looked over, all the materials and methods of destruction interplay well and come together to let you orchestrate your own symphonies of destruction (where did that come from :S)
The A.I is perfectly tuned to react at just the right level depending on your behaviour, it is so well done it actually stops you doing what most games allow, which is to let you just fight your way all the way through regardless. But at some point in this game when you are in a fight you will always become overwhelmed by the EDF or Marauders and be forced to retreat and use actual guerilla tactics in order to accomplish your objectives, which is fantastic game design.
Cant say much about the graphics other than they are among the best gameplay graphics to date, its nice to see Alec Mason's clothes blowing in the wind and the light bouncing of shiny surfaces and dust coming of explosions and collapsing buildings, it is all done superbly well.
The actual gameplay is good you are required to do a certain array of missions in each region to reduce enemy control there is enough variation and choice of mini activities and sub missions to keep the game from getting too repetative and boring, the main missions keep the storyline flowing and general rate of the game at a good even speed. at no point does this game start to feel repetative or like you might not want to play on it.
For the freedom of how you go about accomplishing your missions this game has what is for me becoming increasingly important in games, the ability to start again and for it to be a whole new experience, you can play this game time and time again and find new methods and techniques for dealing with every situation.
Simply Superb, a great buy. Happy Gaming, hope this was helpful for some of you.

Page: 1 | 2