Profile for Steve > Reviews

Steve

Mack the Ripper: A Novel of Stefan Dracula
Mack the Ripper: A Novel of Stefan Dracula

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Dec. 2015
Great book! Thoroughly enjoyed this gripping novel.

Johnny Brooks G908AB Maple 5A Drum Sticks
Johnny Brooks G908AB Maple 5A Drum Sticks
Offered by GiftLocalUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and solid, 20 Jan. 2013
These arrived earlier than expected. The sticks are exactly as promised and were a fantastic deal at the price. My son is very happy with them.

Henrys Yo-Yo Strings Neon Yellow (Pack of 6)
Henrys Yo-Yo Strings Neon Yellow (Pack of 6)
Offered by Flames N Games Ltd-Specialist Juggling Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 20 Jan. 2013
I'm impressed with these strings. I never thought that yoyo strings really made much of a difference but since my children have got into yoyos and I've been refreshing the old tricks from my own childhood, I have discovered how much more there is to yoyoing than I remembered. These strings are much better than the default strings that came with the yoyos. It's hard to know what's different but it's more than just colour. As soon as I changed the strings I was able to do lots more tricks. Everything was set the same (two loops for my 6 year old's yoyo and 1 for my 9 year old's) but the strings somehow offer much less friction and allow the yoyo to spin faster and for longer.

Rockschool Drums Grade Debut 2012-2018
Rockschool Drums Grade Debut 2012-2018
by Rock School LTD
Edition: Sheet music

4.0 out of 5 stars The book is fine, 20 Jan. 2013
This book arrived earlier than expected and it's what is required by my son't music teacher. It seems fine to me.

Evans RealFeel 7 inch Apprentice Pad
Evans RealFeel 7 inch Apprentice Pad

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a good practice pad, 20 Jan. 2013
The practice pad is fine. It arrived earlier than expected and does the trick. I haven't set it up on a stand, but it looks like it'll do that nicely when the time comes for my son to have a more comprehensive drumkit experience that doesn't irritate the neighbours too much.

One Big Damn Puzzler
One Big Damn Puzzler
by John Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic use of anthropology, 17 Aug. 2012
This review is from: One Big Damn Puzzler (Paperback)
I loved this book. as a cultural anthropologist, I have spent a lot of time reading the famous debates about different cultural models of conception and this book really uses those debates to great effect. I loved the way the book integrates credible ethnographic description with a very entertaining and well written story. The hero is delightfully flawed and easy to dislike at times, but Harding does a great job of making him ultimately redeemable. The part of the story which deals with the main character's psychological issues is also extremely well done. I know we're not supposed to laugh at mental ill health, but Harding manages to convey both the real tragedy of obsessive compulsive disorder with side splittingly funny accounts of what happens when you try to pack a house full of conflicting OCD sufferers for an extended period of time.

I can't praise this book enough. It was one of the most intelligent and funny books I've read in years.

Apple MacBook 2.0GHz 13.3'' (2008.10), Laptop Internal Hard Drive 320GB, 7200rpm, 16MB

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Apple MacBook internal HD (320 GB 7200 rpm), 29 Feb. 2012
This HD was no trouble to install and has run very well since installation. The previous HD had a catastrophic failure and was unsalvageable. Fortunately I keep regular and frequent automatic backups so there was minimal data loss and I was able to replicate everything onto this new faster and quieter HD.